Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 22:48   #1

How Does a Chain Counter Work?

Could anyone explaine me how a chain counter really works ? Does it imply installing a sensor of any kind on the rope drum or gypsy ?
If so , what about the wires

Thanks
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 02:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Electronic Chain Counters require power & data wiring.
Chain counters generally consist of a control & display unit, a magnet, and a sensor. The magnet is fitted into the gypsy of the windlass and the sensor is fitted into the deck plate. The magnet and sensor are aligned, so that every time the windlass rotates the magnet passes over the sensor. Once calibrated to the gypsy size, this information is then sent to the display.
This is not unlike a Yanmar tachometer.

See ➥ CruzPro CH60 Chain Counter and Intelligent Windlass Controller

Or ➥ Lewmar

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 07:59   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
My Lighthouse windlass / counter operates exactly as Gord described. Magnetic reed switches triggered by magnets embedded in the gypsy. In the case of Lighthouse, they have a sealed display head that includes a lithium battery supposedly good for 9 years before replacement. Have to return it to the factory to have that done.
Old 21-10-2009, 17:05   #4

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
If you want a primitive but cheap chain counter, buy a good quality bicycle odometer and mount it on the gypsy. Just marking the chain is easier still! Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 22:31   #5

Ok thanks all, it seems to work as I expected. But I can imagine that installing the magnet and sensor is something to think about , taking the chain and on going forces of the windlass into account.
I know coulored straps and/or paintmarkings are a cheap sollution , but it's not that easy when it's dark.
So I guess i'll go for the digital counter because i'm not just a gadget freak , but it's also a nice contribution to the boat.
Thanks again.
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 23:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

CALIBRATE IT - CALIBRATE IT

Sorry to shout but we often see chain counters fitted but not calibrated. Not all counters need it but many do.

Just a helpful tip to save possible grief later on and you doing a rant to your chain supplier for delivering a shorter length than you ordered, then the embarrassment when they pull out a tape measure to find...... your counter is wrong. Yes, a been there had that more than once bit of experience speaking
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 23:53   #7

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Chain letter

On sailing boats 2 centuries ago one counted the links from the shackle around your ankle to the ball on the end. Then Darwin discovered the missing link and hence things did evolve yet with your modern windlass they need to revolve. Paint marks on the chain slim will only cover these in 2 weeks.
Have a good day
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 00:52   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Could anyone explaine me how a chain counter really works ?
Well, theres this little guy with a really boring job......

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 20:16   #9

Boat: 45' Hunter CC "BABEEZE"
I'm thinking of installing a chain counter too. Tired of re-painting chain, colored cable ties and plastic tags falling off. Seeing the markers in bad light an issue as well. Anyone had experience with reliability, best brand and ease of installation. Should make one really smart, tie it to depth and let it calculate chain length for requested scope.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 21:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Suss AutoAnchor: Deploy The Correct Anchor Rode When Anchoring

The are the ducks nuts. Available world wide branded Maxwell, Muir and Lewmar or Auto Anchor, all are the same bar the name on it.

Have basic through to flash with auto-docking where is senses what you have out and will automatically slow the anchor winch for the last metre or 2 so the anchor doesn't slam hard into you roller. Very smart machines even work with a combination rope and chain rode.

Basically a small magnet in the gypsy and a receiver dodacky next to it and it counts the gypsy revolutions then does some trickery in a black box and throws you a number up on the display.

Did I mention CALIBRATE IT? or in Auto-anchors case punch in the right numbers so it reads correctly. That adjust things to suit the gypsy diameter and other things. It's all in the manual and easy to do.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:19   #11

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: How Does a Chain Counter Work?

Really old thread I know. Just fitted a windlass control at the helm. If the winds up in a tight anchorage and I'm by myself it can be a handful controlling the boat and getting the anchor up, thus the helm switch. Lots of charter boats drag here.

I understand how these counters work but never seen one fitted, can you fit them to most windlass's? My maxwell is 15 years old. Be good to know where I'm at when retrieving anchor from the helm.
A quick Google search didn't show me much, took me here.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:38   #12

Look at an installation manual
eg. https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default...n%20Manual.pdf
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:48   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Thanks.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote