Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Direct 3 strand nylon line to chain or to shakel/with themble
Direct nylon line to chain braided in serveral links of chain 10 20.41%
Direct nylon line to chain braided in one link of chain 16 32.65%
3 strand nylon to themble/eye and to shakle 26 53.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-05-2006, 22:48   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Duh!!!. Sorry I need new Glasses. I saw Polyester and read polypropelyne. OK folks. Nothin to see here. all go back to what you were doing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 23:19   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Both Poyester and Nylon stretch. In real use the differance is not much at all.

At 20% of break load (the 'standard' WLL) both stretch around 6-8%. At break load nylon will be stretching a lot more, upto 40% on some.

Break loads on both are the same in use i.e nylon loss's 10% when wet. The load comes back once the rope has dried out.

Polyester has better abrasion resistance. It's not massively better but any is better than none I suppose.

I use polyester just beceause it does not go hard and yucky. Polyester is also cheaper not that I have to worry about that, lucky me. I can also have a very sexy blue 8 Braid rode.

If I had a Auto anchor winch I would be using a Type66 Nylon 8 Braid, unless I had a Muir, S/L or Lewmar who don't work at all well with it, they only like laid ropes.

Polpyprop is nasty, evil, seriously yucky and just a bloody awful rope, cheap though. Never use PP under any great load, it melts real easy and often from the inside out due to fibre friction. Handy for many uses but none 'very important'.

Old 10-04-2008, 17:21   #33

Boat: 44 footer
Question:

Dacron line rolling hitched to a nylon rode, lead up to the deck cleat, with the nylon lead to it also but hanging loose.

Will this provide the chafe protection? Or will our rolling hitch chafe the nylon?

I've often pondered this one... if it'll hold and not chafe the rode, chafe through a sacrificial line before getting into the main anchor rode.

Edit: Wondering if the knot would weaken the main anchor rode where it attaches by an appreciable sum... that would be a bummer.
Old 11-04-2008, 00:29   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Question:

Dacron line rolling hitched to a nylon rode, lead up to the deck cleat, with the nylon lead to it also but hanging loose.

Will this provide the chafe protection? Or will our rolling hitch chafe the nylon?

I've often pondered this one... if it'll hold and not chafe the rode, chafe through a sacrificial line before getting into the main anchor rode.

Edit: Wondering if the knot would weaken the main anchor rode where it attaches by an appreciable sum... that would be a bummer.
Probably not as much chafe protection gained as time mucking around lost.

Knots weaken older school ropes (nylons, polyesters and the like) by 25-35%, some knots a bit more. I don't think a rolling hitch would drop much though. New ropes like Spectras and so on work on 505 strength lose with knots especially bowlines.
Old 27-04-2008, 16:17   #35

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
OK...so I'm replacing my anchor line with polyester octoplait [I had to look that up on Ask.com] Splicing chain to rope...new to me, but looks super. Thanks for the Bluemoment article link...What would you suggest for chain size and rope thickness? I'm just doing 30' of chain. No windlass, yet. Boats a 30' Morgan OI, 9.5tons. Thanks for a great post!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 01:11   #36
Marine Service Provider

Depends on what fits your winch.
8mm chain and 14mm rope but I'd suggest you get a nylon ocitplait rather then a polyester if getting a winch, many just don't like the polyester.
Also watch as a few don't like Octiplaits either.

Don't use bluemoments splicing instructions, use one like this, you'll find it easier, safer and won't void any warranties.

http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/...ain_splice.pdf
Old 28-04-2008, 04:46   #37

OK so some real life recommendations !
I have 10k kg of boat. It shouldnt shear to much at anchor. (i hope) I have a original pioneer manual winch. That is a geared hand winder (not a lever type) it has a free fall capacity and a foot brake. The gypsy is a 10 mm short link type, but it has wear on the ratchet teeth. I have purchased (due to the lords of ebay) a stainless gypsy that is in good condition. The only difference between the two is that the newer one takes one less link per rev.The other side of the winch is a rope capstan.

I would like an all chain rode but ....phew...the prices....and I am on a severe budget. I am going to sail east coast Tassie and maybe a circ. East coast aus. And eventually I want to "hop" over to NZ. (I have been offered a free beer).
I get the point (Mr Gmac) that rope has the potential to be of the same strength as chain. So given that there is no point in having rope rode that is way more than 10 mm chain+++ what rope should I use and of what kind. AND just how much chain should I invest in..(the kids will be getting it as an inheritances). And while I am asking questions I am going to have two bow anchors, permanently installed.The idea of running down below to get an anchor and its bits ... at the cry of "it seems to have gone a bit slack..) just scares the hell out of me. I know how long it takes even with the best system.
Should I do something different on the other anchor. I will be solo a lot of the time.
Oddly because of my circumstances it will be easier for me to make a cordless remote control for my engine controls than to afford a power winch. I am more than happy to answer all questions ....straight guy...45 in a few days time ..likes sailing..social drinker....
Old 28-04-2008, 11:17   #38

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
I'm the last one...last to get a cell phone, laptop, winch. Winch is on the list but likely years away. My wife is pretty strong though. [kidding]

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 01:24   #39

Further to my Question . I have been offered L grade short link 10 mm chain for $11.65 a metre . Is that cheap ?
Old 29-04-2008, 02:30   #40
Marine Service Provider

Who made it Cooper?
If it is PWB or Serifini, go for it, a sharp price I'd say.

If it's WhoFlungDung I'd check out the above 2s prices first. Then you get to find out how much you value quality over price. You maybe very surprised to see how close the prices are. I can tell you that chinese cost about 50% of the Aussie I buy so you probably can't screw a PWB/Serifini seller that much, they will be running close to the bone to compete already. If it's made eastward go for $9 + tax they should still be smiling. The exact same thing happens here on the mainland

In Brizzy ring Serifini who will sell direct I think. Melbourne PWB, direct or not I don't know but they will tell you who to see. Gino Serifini, as in Mr Serifini Chains, recently passed away sadly, he was a nice bloke.

In short, if it's a good chain it's a good price. If it's a not so good chain the price is not bad but still not that hot.
Old 29-04-2008, 02:39   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
The exact same thing happens here on the mainland
Huh!?! what down here in the South Island?!? ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 03:42   #42

Yeah I know we dont get as good deals on the island but YES it is PWB. I can get some for $ 8 aus including GST second hand but new, but the freight is $250 making a difference of about $4 dollars !! ( Compared to me going and picking it up from a local dealer in Melbourne)
Old 29-04-2008, 13:43   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Yeah I know we dont get as good deals on the island but YES it is PWB. I can get some for $ 8 aus including GST second hand but new, but the freight is $250 making a difference of about $4 dollars !! ( Compared to me going and picking it up from a local dealer in Melbourne)
PWB, grab it, that's not a bad price I'd say. Nice score.

'On the Island'?? You in Tazzie?
Old 29-04-2008, 20:37   #44

No I was talking about compared to the main land of New Zealand !!! thanks for the advice.
Old 30-04-2008, 00:55   #45
Marine Service Provider

Only to happy, hope it all goes well for you.

Gezz... was I nice to an Aussie out loud???

Tags
anchor, rode

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: