Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 01:41   #31

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: How do you distribute chain in the boat?

I'm with terra, seeing the layout why not relocate the spurling pipe aft and dump the whole lot in the bottom of the aft locker?

You'd need to rig a good plug for the spurling pipe, and a good drain system, but it would self stow very nicely, with no extra complexity.

Your old locker could become a nice deck locker for spare anchor warp, fenders, mooring lines or a light weather sail.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:09   #32
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
6' lower does not seem possible. But, if that is so, why not dump all the chain there and avoid the complication?

I was thinking of drainage and maintenance.

90% of the time I would be using just the short length of chain in the upper locker, just 20 meters or so. The top locker drains very well as it is currently setup and is very easy to rinse the chain with fresh water when I get back to the pen. And I am about to pay about $650 to have the chain regalvanised so you can bet I will be diligent about rinsing it.

And yes, it is not quite a 6 foot drop from the current locker to the proposed locker, but close enough and probably better than my drawing suggests. The hull heads down towards the front of the cutaway keel at that point so there is quite a good drop. I'd go further aft if I could but I run into the head area pretty quickly and I don't want to disturb that if I can avoid it. Though if I go past the head in a tube of some sort I get to the keel itself and that is wonderfully low and centralised.... Thinking some more about that option now....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I had resolved on a voyage around the world, and as the wind on the morning of April 24, 1895 was fair, at noon I weighed anchor....
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:55   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Saw an interesting approach on an aluminum Dix 43 build so clever I'm going to steal it for my own steel boat:

Building Odyssey
Old 04-02-2016, 11:22   #34

Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Saw an interesting approach on an aluminum Dix 43 build so clever I'm going to steal it for my own steel boat:

Building Odyssey

That is a great idea; I have been following Brian's blog for quite a while. Building his own aluminum Dix 43 from scratch. He is very talented, and has done quite a few innovations on the original design.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Make that pipe with no bends, big as possible and not too much slope, otherwise the chain may pile up in the pipe, and may even jam. Also the pipe needs to be right under the hawsse.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 22:35   #36

Matt
The setup o banjo is as follows.

There is an anchor locker inthe same place as yours sealed off from the interior and draining at the sides. This locker is used for bits and pieces spare anchor etc. It is not used for the main chain.

The hawse pipe catching chain from the winch sits on ths forward locker and a ss tube caŕries the main chain through it and aft to where you have drawn your proposed new locker. The locker there will take 100m of hain with a bit of knocking down during retrieval. However there is also another locker immediately aft under the V berth sole. The two chain lockers are joined by a hole. During retrieval chain can be hand flaked into the aft most locker. It will hold about 50m.

Both lockers drain into the sump in the shower head room. There is an electric and manual pump to empty.

In both lockers the chain rests on the hull. There are no boxes to hold it.

In a seaway it is important to seal the entrance to the hawse pipe else a surprising amount of water will enter the boat. There is also a cap.

At the marina you can wash chan in both lockers. Pumping out from the sump.

Lee

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
banjoship is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 22:47   #37
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Thanks Lee,

Sounds like you or the PO of Banjo figured all that weight up high and forward was a bad idea also.

Interested that you see a risk of water coming in the hawse pipe, you must sail Banjo plenty hard, I rarely see a drop of water on deck.

I was thinking of keeping the cover on the forward locker, which would afford the pipe some significant protection, I'll sketch a bit more detail on what I am thinking and post it here for your comment.

Matt

I had resolved on a voyage around the world, and as the wind on the morning of April 24, 1895 was fair, at noon I weighed anchor....
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib