Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 14:00   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
How Common are Bent Anchors?

I don't want to hijack Nolex's photo thread, so thought I would post in a different topic.

I posted the following on his thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Holy Crap! We have arrived to a marina in Panama to leave the boat while we visit family. I just walked down our dock to look at anchors. There are 15 boats pulled in bow first so that I can see their anchors.

Seven of the fifteen have bent anchors! Several of them are genuine CQR's, as stamped into the forged shank. The rest make up a variety of types including FOB, Buegel, and Delta.

There were no bent Rocna's, although most of those looked rather new. There were no bent Spades, but there were only a couple of those. The only Bruce's were stainless ones on boats that looked like they had never left the marina to anchor.

Quite frankly, I am dumbfounded. It is difficult to believe that this is representative of anchors on boats in general, yet it is equally difficult to believe that an abnormally large number of boats with bent anchors just happen to be in this particular marina.
So, Nolex is currently using a bent anchor, and apparently ~50% of the people on our current dock are also using bent anchors.

Is anyone else knowingly using a bent anchor?

I am still flabbergasted at the number of bent anchors I just found. I usually do not get a chance to see if anchors are bent because we are never in marinas and boats around us always have their anchors deployed.

How common are bent anchors????

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How common are bent anchors?

Where are you? I assume where there are many rocks? I've only rarely seen an anchor bent, but it's almost all sand here in the gulf.
I've harvested quiet a few anchor off of boats sunk as fish havens though, one or two of those were bent, but of course the rode was either cut of broken as the anchor was stuck fast.
I see mostly Danforth used here, but many CQR's and Bruces, a few Deltas. I think I will have the first new gen anchor on my dock, but to tell the truth most of the boats in my Marina almost never move and when they do, very few of them anchor out, and even fewer of them actually go anywhere. I do see cruising boats every now and again, but they usually don't stay long
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:57   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: How common are bent anchors?

We are in the Caribe side of Panama. Presumably most of these boats came from either other parts of the Caribe or the Pacific.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:57   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

I've got a genuine CQR that was our primary anchor for many, many years. Shank is bent a couple of inches back from the rode connection, probably about 15 degrees. Can't remember the exact date/details of the bending event, just know we pulled it up one day and it was.

Used it for decades after the bend with the same level of success (no need for snarky comments about it being a CQR and what level of success that was, we have enough of those threads).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 15:04   #5

I think your experience is above the norm. But I occasionally see a bent anchor shank... and yes even CQR's. The CQR shank is likely stronger than any other I have seen... being basically an I beam. So all that tells us is these anchors were stuck in something when the boat was snubbing up tight in some swell or chop. Probably a rock or a wreck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:24   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Pretty common. There are at least 3 on our dock right now.

It is most often the shank.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm going to look this weekend, you guys got my curiosity up now. I've just not noticed apparently
Old 24-07-2014, 17:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ya'll laugh, but up to now I've almost always used a Danforth type anchor and only issues I've had with it was in pure mud, then the CQR has worked, but I've never anchored in a real storm yet either, and I usually use a scope of 10 to 1, I mean if your in 10' of water, that's just a little more than 100'.
I've a modern anchor on back order now, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 24-07-2014, 23:26   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I would have bet against it being possible, but we bent a genuine 20 kg Bruce a few years ago... bent not the shank but one fluke. It was caught under a big broken chunk of a concrete mooring block. Managed to get it near enough the surface to get a line under it and release the anchor. Much joy until I saw the bend. It was not very much of a bend, but easily visible. I couldn't tell much difference in performance, but then, how would you?

We replaced it when it was feasible, a few weeks later... but only after Lewis Marine in Hobart tried unsuccessfully to straighten it with a 60 ton press. They were impressed that I could bend the thing with my wimpy VWC1200 windlass, I was impressed that they couldn't straighten it.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-07-2014, 00:26   #10

It all depend what you call bent. I have a 60 CQR that is slightly out of shape. I remember of a thread about the manufacturing of CQR’s in New Zeeland that mentioned that the shank was made to give.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 01:33   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Any anchor can bend. It is possible to make an anchor that is very resistant to bending, but unfortunately thick heavy shanks and toes are a recipe for poor performance.

However, we don't want anchors that bend very readily and commonly. There needs to be a balance.

Bent anchors are relatively rare and it is difficult for a single person to see enough anchors to gain a perspective if there is a problem with a particular design.

I think the best way around the problem is for CF members to report the bent anchors they have seen. So thanks Mark . It is even better if photographs can be taken where possible.

This has been my policy and I have always mentioned or posted images of any bent anchors I have seen. Unfortunately, one manufacturer demanded removal of some six photographs of mine showing bent toes on anchors.

Most manufacturers permit this sort of exchange of information and posting of photos, so I don't think this is a big problem. We should support these companies.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 03:52   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

[QUOTE=noelex 77;1592215

Unfortunately, one manufacturer demanded removal of some six photographs of mine showing bent toes on anchors.

[/QUOTE]

and their name would rhyme with?
Old 25-07-2014, 04:20   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Over the years I've actually witnessed a couple of anchors BEING bent.

It was during docking mishaps such as misjudging the distance to a piling or pier.

So it's possible they're not all bent from being used, although I've seen them come up that way, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 04:22   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Pics????

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't want to hijack Nolex's photo thread, so thought I would post in a different topic.

I posted the following on his thread:

So, Nolex is currently using a bent anchor, and apparently ~50% of the people on our current dock are also using bent anchors.

Is anyone else knowingly using a bent anchor?

I am still flabbergasted at the number of bent anchors I just found. I usually do not get a chance to see if anchors are bent because we are never in marinas and boats around us always have their anchors deployed.

How common are bent anchors????

Mark
Old 25-07-2014, 04:41   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On bending a shank back into shape, if it's removable you would be amazed what kind of force can be exerted by simply "wacking" the thing against a palm tree trunk or similar, the velocity and inertia can have more energy in it than a large hammer, I've straightened tie rods etc on agricultural equipment that way after being shown how

Tags
anchor