Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 13:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
horizontal windlass setup

I'm looking to upgrade my windlass. I have a dual bow roller setup. I plan on 150' to 200' of chain on the primary and probably 75' of chain plus rode on the secondary.

But most windlass designs seem to only have one hawsehole for the primary. There is a rope capstain on the other side of most horizontal windlasses but it seems useless. Can't use chain on it and it doesn't lead to an anchor locker.

In order to keep the leads fair for both anchors, it would seem that a chain gypsy on each side would be best with a hawsehole for each into separate lockers.

What am I missing?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 13:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out the Maxwell HWVC3500 series, available with two chain gypsies (instead of 1 each rope & chain). This unit also has a vertical rope “warping” capstan on top.
Goto:
Horizontal Windlass and Capstan Range
&
Horizontal Windlass and Capstan Range
&
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/PDF/maxwell_hwc.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 13:32   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will not be using your secondary that often. You can weigh that anchor on the rope drum, just watch your fingers on the chain. This is better than having two chain gypsies as you can use the drum to haul yourself aloft. As for the spurling pipe, if you've only got one you'll need to make another one if you want both rodes to end up in the anchor locker. I prefer a divided anchor locker so that the two rodes don't get fouled.
Old 07-08-2008, 13:43   #4

I'm looking at a similiar issue on my boat right now. I have a windlass with one rope/chain gypsy leading through one hawse hole into the anchor locker.

I've decided to use only 30' of chain on my secondary anchor(a danforth) for a couple of reasons. One is that while I could run it over to the windlass gypsy and just not let it drop down that hawse hole, I'll probably just handle it by hand most of the time. The second reason that I decided not to use much chain on the second anchor was for kedging off. If you need to use the dinghy and take out the second anchor, 75' of chain can make it a bit of a chore. 30' can be placed in the dink with the anchor, then dropped overboard after feeding the line out to the dink.

So my compromise is to just manhandle the secondary anchor most of the time, although I think I could still use the windlass in a pinch. I've already divided the anchor locker, and will be adding the hole for the second hawse soon. If I were in a position to choose a new windlass, I would probably be happy to have just a rope gypsy on the secondary side because I would still want only a short chain length on that rode. Just my opinions as I work through a similiar situation.
Old 07-08-2008, 18:37   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Lofrans also has for example the Titan B with 2 Horizontal Gypsies and one Vertical capstan which is the most versatile arrangement.

Also I remember on another thread there was a discussion about pyramiding problems with chain in a shallow chain locker.

Lofrans has recently come out with this….cute!

http://www.lofrans.it/english/NEWS/ECS3000.html
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 18:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
vasco
I will be splitting the anchor locker for the 2 rodes.
Gord
I'll take a look...holly crap! 176 lbs.!!!! So much for do it yourself.

Thanks
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote