Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 05:44   #1

Boat: Catalina
Horizontal or Vertical ?

Hi Folks,

I have a '89 catalina 30 that came with what looks to be a factory installed horizontal mounted windlass. Its got a rope only drum. I believe it was manufactured by Maxwell/Nilson and is no longer supported.

Im interested in going to a winch with a gypsy that will handle an all chain (or mix) rode.

It looks like the easiest fit will be a similar unit mounted in the same spot but that can handle chain - horizontally mounted.

Ive heard that vertical mounting is better as the chain has more wrap around the gypsy, however, this mwill probably involve a more complicated install as modification of the anchor locker etc will be required.

Is the extra work ($1000?) worth the trouble or should the horizontal mount be fine ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:47   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Horizontal or Vertical ?

My horizontal windlass handles rope and chain and works just fine. Your experience may vary but I suspect a horizontal windlass will work for you as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Assuming you had no problem with your original horizontal, I doubt that a new one will have problems.
I wouldn't spend the extra money, unless you had a problem to fix.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Vertical vs Horizontal:
A vertical windlass has the chain gypsy and the rope capstan oriented at 90 degrees the deck, while a horizontal windlass has the gypsy and capstan parallel to the deck. Often the defining factor in choosing between vertical and horizontal is the number of anchors to be handled, the number of bow rollers, and how they line up.
Often a boat with one bow roller on the center line will select a vertical windlass.
A boat with two bow rollers might use a vertical windlass.

Vertical
The advantage of a vertical windlass is its low profile, its motor and or gear box is usually under the deck (& out of the weather), and therefore the vertical units use less deck space (but use more locker space). They allow the anchor rode to come aboard at almost any horizontal angle, but the rode must enter at nearly 90 degrees to the axis of the drum. The anchor rode makes a 180 degree turn the gypsy , then a 90 down, falling into the anchor locker. They are generally harder and more costly to install and service.

Horizontal
The horizontal windlass generally offers the best performance with small or unusual locker designs. As the anchor rode enters the gypsy it makes a 90 degree turn and feeds directly down into the anchor locker. The advantages of a horizontal windlass are that they offered in a wider range of gypsy variations, are easier to install and service, and do not interfere with space in the anchor locker.
The disadvantages are that the anchor rode must travel in a direct line from the bow roller to the windlass (often necessitating the windlass to be mounted off center) which sometimes looks odd. They also take up considerably more deck space, and are totally exposed to the elements.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:18   #5

Provided the motor on the existing windlass doesn't exhibit worrying signs of corrosion, your chain locker is probably dry enough for a vertical windlass installation. Otherwise you'd definitely want to find any source of water intrusion before you install the new vertical windlass.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:34   #6

My boat came without any windlass though with two bow rollers and after a few lower back challenging seasons I decided to install one. My choice, moderated somewhat by my limited budget, came down to either a new vertical (about $1,000 plus installation) or used horizontal with rope drum and a gypsy (about $600 plus install).

While my anchor locker was adequate sizewise it was not huge and I was advised that should I wish to service the windlass horizontal would be much easier to take off and put back than vertical, I went with the used horizontal one as my trusted marine pro buddy commented that that particular used model retailed when new for about $3,000 (later confirmed by a visit to Maxwell booth at the boat show, actual MSP $3,200+tax, boat show price $2,800+tax).

Prior to installation another friend recommended opening the windlass up to service it as it was about 30 years old. He called me later to come down to witness how clean and well preserved all the insides were after 30 years of service. All he had to do was to grease everything and change the bolts. I sanded and repainted the housing inside and out with automotive enamel prime, base and several top coats finishing up with top clear epoxy coat.

Once the deck was shored up (at the bow there was no sandwich, straight thick fiberglass so I had to shore it up with 1/2" G-10) installation was relatively easy and uncomplicated. As far as the looks are concerned horizontal does lose points to vertical. But IMO it is much more useful and versatile. Not to mention easier to service if needed.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal