Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2007, 07:32   #1

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Help I bent my anchor pin on the roller

I had a bad day docking and bumped the anchor into the boardwalk. No damage to the boat, but the bow roller did not fair as well.

The anchor pin is bent, badly enough that I may have to use a di-grinder to cut it off. The bow roller only has a slight bend in 2 places (where the pin goes through) so I can straighten those out easily.

Where can I find a new pin? I did not like this one as you had to fit a tiny flange through a little hole while the deck is pitching. Any suggestions on replacing the pin?

THanks
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 09:25   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
That's why I don't use pins in my anchors. I lash them with a few turns of small line and in an emergency they can be cut away. I started doing this after seeing bent anchor pins on a boat that had gone through a bit of bad weather. They had to hacksaw them to free the anchors.
Old 31-07-2007, 11:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Doghouse,
I agree with Rick.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 13:00   #4

Boat: o-day ban gor 25 eureka
we lash ours also
DavidEureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 13:11   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
I'm confused is the pin in question the one that goes through the bow roller or is it the shackle pin that connects the chain to the anchor?
I'm also interested in this idea of lashing the anchor to the chain, what type of line do you use? doesn't chafe become an issue? Or am I confused about this as well?
Steve.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 14:32   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Steve,

We're talking about the pins that hold the anchors in the rollers. Most anchor rollers have pins that stop the anchor from falling off the bow. In heavy weather or in Doghouse's case, a bump can bend the pin and then the pin cannot be removed and of course you then cannot drop your anchor. Lashing the anchors result in a lot less play, the anchors are more secure. If you have to anchor in an emergency, especially at night, the pins can sometimes be difficult to remove. With a lashing if you don't have time to undo it, you can just cut it. I lash the anchors so the there is no movement, no up and down, no fore and aft, and no side to side movement.
Old 31-07-2007, 14:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
That's why I don't use pins in my anchors. I lash them with a few turns of small line and in an emergency they can be cut away.
Vasco made a quote is worth repeating. No one needs to go to the end of a bowsprit (or bow roller) to fuss with an anchor when they don't have to. My bowsprit is 6 ft long and I don't go out there in serious conditions for anything except to save a life.

It secures just fine to a bow cleat easy to get to or let loose. A chain hook on a small double braid will do just fine and it won't give way because you tapped something with the bow roller. If it strikes with enough force to break the shackle it's time to bid farewell.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 17:14   #8

I like the lashing idea. My bow roller is open on the top, so I will have to see if it could pop vertical during a spit of bad weather just locking it down to the anchor cleat. If not a bit of line passed through the old opening and the trip line point on the anchor would work perfect. Thanks for saving me a small fortune!
Old 31-07-2007, 19:41   #9

Boat: Tayana 48
For day-sailing, or anytime when immediate access to the anchor could be needed, I lash mine (88 lb Delta) with Spectra 1/4 " line. Very tough, but can be quickly cut with a good knife (see previous Knife thread).
When offshore for a few days, I augment the lashing with a sail-tie or 2. Very stout, offers great redundant security. Can even be led back to a cleat.
When offshore for days, or if weather is expected, I will remove the anchor from the roller and lash on-deck. The force of the anchor plunging down vertically into green water can rip the lashings, bend a retaining pin, even damage a roller or sprit.
John
Old 31-07-2007, 19:48   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I guess I'd just take out a hammer and chisel and see if I could straighten that pin enough to remove it. Doghouse, can you post a photo of the roller with bent pin?

I do understand that lashing the anchor in the roller would have benefits. I just can't help wondering what you guys do if you need that anchor in a hurry? Search for a knife?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 20:16   #11

Boat: Tayana 48
I do understand that lashing the anchor in the roller would have benefits. I just can't help wondering what you guys do if you need that anchor in a hurry? Search for a knife?[/quote]

Yup. Pretty quick search if you're wearing the blade on your belt. Sure beats trying to pound out a bent retaining pin.
Old 31-07-2007, 21:06   #12

Boat: Trismus 37
Yep I was definitely confused, I also lash the anchor to the roller when I don't plan to use it for a while (short offshore passage) I had a mental picture of the chain being lashed to the anchor rather than using a shackle, It was a new one to me, and will stay that way.
Steve.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08   #13

This weekend I hope to get out to the boat to fix the problem. I will try to get a picture at that time.
Old 27-08-2018, 12:09   #14

Re: Help I bent my anchor pin on the roller

I have a double anchor roller than came with my beneteau

the anchor came loose in rough seas and pounded up and down on the anchor roller, dislodging the bolt holding the roller in place.

I want to try to replace the bolt. anyone know the proper name for this bolt so I look for the correct piece.

it is a bolt that sits in a sheave with anchor roller outside the sheave.

Thanks in advance

Jay Dubowsky
Paradox 4
paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 23:01   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help I bent my anchor pin on the roller

Measure the diameter of the hole. Measure how long a bolt you need. It is not a special purpose deal. If you're enamored of a tidy installation, you could measure it and use an acorn nut on it, with locktite, but many of us double nut such items so they cannot vibrate loose.

Ann

Tags
anchor