Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58   #46

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Has Anyone Ever Used a Stern Anhor as a Brake in an Emergency?

I almost always anchor from the stern. The boat doesn't swing back and forth anchored that way.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34   #47

Boat: Montevideo 43

I owned a Schumacher 41 racing machine. The shaft coupling part and was towed into Port Owen Marina in Velddrift South Africa. Wind was gusting up to 30 kts. Turning to port in the river to approach the narrow channel and dock had the South Easter astern. As came alongside I kick the anchor overboard. Big open 40 type open cockpit. Casual kick and turn back to the wheel. 4,9 ton stopped like I had a handbrake. People were clapping and giving a thumbs up.
It appeared like I was a superman sailor. ..... so casual .....I just threw the shorts away. To much trouble to clean it!!!!!😎⚓️😳😳😬...👌👏🏼
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:44   #48

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Dropping the anchor in a race? Completely legal, at least in the races where I've participated.

During one race we passed a bunch of boats while we were anchored. The wind had died and the current was sweeping the other boats backwards. They were struggling to sail upwind in the extremely light air, but the current was too much for them. We ate our lunch and waved as we "passed" them. Some of the boats probably weren't even carrying an anchor.
I was referring to the aft anchor locker. I forgot to add a smile.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:09   #49

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'd just like to hear the story. I'm just thinking, that in 30 years, three times I've had to anchor in a hurry due to engine failure, and not once would a stern anchor have been my first choice. It made more sense to use the momentum I had to turn and head into a better position.

1. Between jetties. I headed to the windward side and dropped the hook, Had I not dropped near the windward jetty I would have hit the leeward jetty. (Forgot to open fuel valve after changing filters--dumb).

2. Dockline in the props coming out of a fairway with a strong tide from side. I was able to coast out of the fairway and farther from danger than if I had use the stern anchor, which might have let me bang some boats.
3. Between jetties with sails up. Had to spin into the wind to get the main down. Waited until I was in the harbor basin, no problem. (Clogged carb.)

Your experiences?
(Clogged carb.)
You have a gas engine, not diesel, on your boat ? Just curious.
Old 02-07-2018, 17:01   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Dropping the anchor in a race? Completely legal, at least in the races where I've participated.

During one race we passed a bunch of boats while we were anchored. The wind had died and the current was sweeping the other boats backwards. They were struggling to sail upwind in the extremely light air, but the current was too much for them. We ate our lunch and waved as we "passed" them. Some of the boats probably weren't even carrying an anchor.
Yes, legal under most race rules, and not an uncommon tactic in some places w strong tidal currents.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 20:48   #51

Stern anchors can be fairly light. Not much force generally applied and usually not for long times. Likely 30 lbs ought be sufficient for most local crusing vessels. if you have a chance see if you can find one of the WWII cast iron Danforth designs. Weigh about 32 lbs. Utterly indestructible. Had 1/2” forged schackles. Were used to throw out behind and stop the Landing Boats heading to shore with their diesels running full out. Best of all they come apart.
piberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 23:37   #52

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by piberman View Post
Nowadays we don’t see many stern anchors. Save on commercial boats. And we certainly don’t see them on “fancy boats” with lots of varnish. Stern anchors have another use for folks who spend time in the Bahamas and want to avoid the rolly pollies. Putting out a moderate size stern anchor out from amidships can often reduce the effects of the rollers. Especially after a storm.
Lots of boats have stern anchors mounted on the pushpit, in areas I cruise. Channel Islands (Santa Barbara area) and SF Bay Delta are places where a stern anchor is something you can't really do without due to tight anchorage situations. Also necessary in many anchorages in Mexico for roll control, to align bow into the swell. As for fancy boats with lots of varnish, they are getting hard to find around here!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:00   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ah OK, bow first med moor.

Perfect deadpan. Still roflmao ! Thanks for that
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 05:49   #54

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ah OK, bow first med moor.
Often called "Scandinavian mooring". In the rocky shores of the Baltic sea this technique is very common. The anchor can be used as a brake. Usually not really in emergency, but in a controlled way to avoid hitting the hard rocks of the shoreline. (https://youtu.be/FualbbnIvlA)
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 06:19   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Often called "Scandinavian mooring". In the rocky shores of the Baltic sea this technique is very common. The anchor can be used as a brake. Usually not really in emergency, but in a controlled way to avoid hitting the hard rocks of the shoreline. (https://youtu.be/FualbbnIvlA)
Yes. We've done this on a cousin's boat -- drop a stern anchor as we coast up to a big granite island, then jump off the bow onto the rock and tie to a boulder or tree. Where I usually sail this wouldn't work because either the water is too shallow near the shore or the tidal range is too great. But where we were in the Baltic (Kotka, Finland) the tides only vary by less than 2 inches, and the water gets deep quickly (at least around the islands we were visiting).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 06:55   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Yes. We've done this on a cousin's boat -- drop a stern anchor as we coast up to a big granite island, then jump off the bow onto the rock and tie to a boulder or tree. Where I usually sail this wouldn't work because either the water is too shallow near the shore or the tidal range is too great. But where we were in the Baltic (Kotka, Finland) the tides only vary by less than 2 inches, and the water gets deep quickly (at least around the islands we were visiting).

That's standard operating procedure all over Swedish and Finnish waters in the archipelagos with that specific geography. They have reels of "Ancrolina" for stern anchor rode and carry big iron spikes to drive into cracks in the granite, to hold the bow line. Some of them even have stern windlasses.

And they also moor bows to the quay, in marinas.

Bows-to mooring onto quays is not good for us, because we have a lot of freeboard at the bow, and it's actually dangerous to jump down onto the quay from the pulpit, but you have no choice there. Another disadvantage is that it is virtually impossible to do it single handed. But they love it like that -- and you get extra privacy in the cockpit, and you don't risk putting your rudder into ballast stones at the pier. Most of these have buoys, but you do use a stern anchor on some of them. I was glad to have the Fortress when I was cruising those waters. I would run the rode through cleats to a powered cockpit winch, and be able to control the stern anchor from behind the helm.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 07:11   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Another disadvantage is that it is virtually impossible to do it single handed.
At least in theory you can sometimes use the rear anchor (or a rear buoy or a rear pole) as a handbrake, leave the engine running idle forward, adjust the anchor line to a suitable length, and then run to the bow to connect the lines to the shore (or pier). Hopefully not too much side wind.
Old 15-07-2018, 09:51   #58

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Aha, something new to learn all the time! [emoji41]
Quote:
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 10:48   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
At least in theory you can sometimes use the rear anchor (or a rear buoy or a rear pole) as a handbrake, leave the engine running idle forward, adjust the anchor line to a suitable length, and then run to the bow to connect the lines to the shore (or pier). Hopefully not too much side wind.

Yes, I've done this. But it's crazy on my boat as I can't reach anything on the quay from my bow (freeboard nearly 2 metres). But I did do this successfully once when there were other sailors on the quay to take my lines.

But just imagine that your anchor drags a little, the boat is in gear, you are on the bow with no one at he helm. It doesn't bear thinking about !
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 11:07   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, I've done this. But it's crazy on my boat as I can't reach anything on the quay from my bow (freeboard nearly 2 metres). But I did do this successfully once when there were other sailors on the quay to take my lines.

But just imagine that your anchor drags a little, the boat is in gear, you are on the bow with no one at he helm. It doesn't bear thinking about !
Nordic boats often have a bow ladder and the pulpit is designed to allow easy access from the front. That can help a bit. I guess on average the baltic boats are smaller than your boat with a 2 meter bow, and therefore easier to jump from and to.

When I do Scandinavian mooring I typically do it in two phases. First check that the anchor holds (hold the anchor rode and push forward with motor), and only then go closer to the shoreline.

Tags
emergency, enc