Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2014, 07:36   #1

Ground Tackle

Ahoy and hello. I've just joined CruisersForum. My wife and I will be sailing our Sabre 34 in the San Juan and Gulf Islands in the Pacific Northwest. I plan to purchase a Rocna 44 anchor. We would appreciate some guidance on the size and length of rode. Tentatively we're looking at 275ft of 1/2in 8 plait with 30 ft of 1/4in Accor BBB. Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
strmteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 07:54   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 40
Re: Ground Tackle

Hi strmteam

If you have an electric windlass I would suggest more chain. The gulf islands can get really busy in the summer, so you will be short scope anchoring (3:1) often. Chain will keep your swing to a minimum. Stern tying may be an necessity at times as well. Having said that there are lots of boats with what you've described anchoring without any problems.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
VIRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 07:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

First, Welcome Aboard.
I often joke with new folks that they should never ask an anchor question on this forum. The answer will always be your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.

That said, your rode sounds a little light to me. I think you may want to go up a size to 5/8" rope and 5/16" chain.

Do you have a windlass or are you pulling by hand?

Someone will be along soon to tell you that you need all chain rode.
Old 24-11-2014, 07:59   #4

Boat: Oyster 53

You can get away with that but for pure peace of mind I prefer all chain. Your 8 plait rode will chafe and if it rubs on rocks or anything sharp sticking out of the mud it will break - and without any warning.

You also run the risk of another boat "driving" over your rode and cutting it with their prop. This is especially true it there is wind in the anchorage and your line is taught and near the surface.

My first boat was a Cape Dory 33 and I had 300' all chain rode (I forget the size) with NO windlass. Hauling up the 45 pound CQR hand over hand every morning kept me in great shape.

And I never slept so well.

Dhillen
Old 24-11-2014, 08:00   #5

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Someone will be along soon to tell you that you need all chain rode.
That was me! Must be one for the record books. Just call me the all chain guy.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 24-11-2014, 08:16   #6

Thank you for the responses. An electric windlass is being installed. I am concerned about the weight forward with a lot more chain. Would increasing the rode to 5/8'' and going to 50' of 5/16 chain be a reasonable solution?
strmteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:17   #7

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmteam View Post
Ahoy and hello. I've just joined CruisersForum. My wife and I will be sailing our Sabre 34 in the San Juan and Gulf Islands in the Pacific Northwest. I plan to purchase a Rocna 44 anchor. We would appreciate some guidance on the size and length of rode. Tentatively we're looking at 275ft of 1/2in 8 plait with 30 ft of 1/4in Accor BBB. Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
We have 46 feet of 1/4" HT chain and 300' of 1/2" 3-strand, with a Rocna 10kg, on our heavy 26-footer. Very effective in lots of anchoring, cruising the Inside Passage. We're limited by how much weight of chain we can carry. For you, I'd suggest more like 50-60 feet of chain.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:31   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 40

I think going to 50 ft of 5/16 will be fine. Most anchorages in the Gulf Islands are under 50 ft. So you'll have chain laying on the ground under most conditions.

If you are just getting the electric windlass, you need to make sure the gypsy on the windlass matches the size of chain you buy. If you haven't, you might want to check these spec's.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
VIRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:59   #9

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Anchors......

The following is my opinion....... :-)

Anchor type and size sounds perfect. I'd go up to 5/8" line and 5/16" chain since you're installing a windlass. Bear in mind that the gypsy on the windlass will have to be matched to the size of the chain and line, or vice versa. Personally i'd also alter the ratio in favour of more chain, but that'll be largely to do with your bottom type and depth of water as well. Don't want line sitting on the bottom ever.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:20   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I'd go with a little more chain. I've got 92' of 5/16 BBB and 161' of 5/8 three strand nylon. Never skimp on the things which can be a matter of life and death.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:41   #11

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII

I think 50' is ok. 75 might be better - (especially if you ever want to just all chain). If you're worried about the weight, I'd stick with G4 instead of BBB (which is heavier). A 5/16" HT link will be about a pound per foot. (But do check the windlass specs tho. The links are slightly different.)

Once you get to buying - check out Washington Chain, south of Seattle (just a little ways from the stadiums). They have a good selection and have the same domestic brands as other places, but for a reasonable price.
sv JoyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 03:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, strmteam.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote