Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 17:44   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
G43 Industrial Galvanized vs. G40 Galvanized Anchor chain

We have a maxwell HRC 10-10 windlass and we are looking to switch from our ACCO 3/8" BBB Chain to a high test chain.

1st chain supply sells INDUSTRIAL G43 3/8" galvanized chain for 1/2 the price of official 3/8" G40 galvanized anchor chain. My understanding is that industrial chain has lower tolerances, but within 10% of specifications. They do not recommend using industrial chain in most windlasses because the chain will slip and eventually wear out the gypsy.

My question to you guys... the maxwell windlass comes with a new type of gypsy... called "waveguide" which is supposed to accept ANY 3/8" chain. I am waiting on a response from Maxwell on their opinion but I wanted to reach out to CF to see what you guys think.

Do you think that the g43 would be a good bargain to make? Is there something I am missing?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 18:40   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: G43 Industrial Galvanized vs. G40 Galvanized Anchor chain

The G job on their G40 is nothing to write home about. If somehow the G on G43 is better, maybe. The deal is, the longer the links get, the more poorly they fit the gypsy. So if the links start out on the short side, all the better.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 22:40   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

The numbers 43 and 40 are the tensile strength of the steel in the chain, in tons per square inch.

I don't think they have anything to do with the chain itself.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 03:41   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The G job on their G40 is nothing to write home about. If somehow the G on G43 is better, maybe. The deal is, the longer the links get, the more poorly they fit the gypsy. So if the links start out on the short side, all the better.
Did you have a bad experience with 1stchainsupply?
Old 28-11-2014, 09:27   #5

I contacted Maxwell directly and was told it would not work. Only real anchor chain.
Old 28-11-2014, 10:26   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Don't know where you are located, but Miami Cordage has good prices on anchor chain.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 11:04   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Did you have a bad experience with 1stchainsupply?

No, 1st chain was great. The G on the G40 chain has worn off too soon.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 19:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
No, 1st chain was great. The G on the G40 chain has worn off too soon.
I did ask where their chain was sourced from. I was told that it was basically whatever was available and that Acco or Peerless could not be guaranteed at their advertised prices. However, we could request that chain specifically and he would "get back to us" on the price. Very nice guy, no BS, just the truth but you had to ask.

FYI, I've been talking with Vince at "Sea Tech and Fun" (US Spade distributor) and he has been offering some amazing deals on high test chain from Acco. Better than anything I have seen on the INET plus he is a very pleasant and honest fellow to deal with. Thats important in my book.
Old 14-12-2014, 05:31   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Is there somewhere near you which both; has this type of gypsy, & a good return policy? If so, then perhaps you could temporarily pick up a gypsy, & then test fit the different kinds of 3/8" chain in it. Having picked up test samples of the various kinds of chain in advance.

That, and or get test samples of the different chain offerings, & compare them with a set of calipers. As I'd figure that if the less expensive chain has the same dimensions of the other, & can be had with a proof certificate, then go ahead & save yourself some coin.

BTW, I don't know what the gent at "Sea Tech and Fun" is quoting your in terms of chain prices, but, it'd be wise to get it in writing. And also, there are vendors on the internet who at times have prices a fair bit lower than 1st Chain Supply.

If you could be kind enough to let us know what you wind up going with, both windlass, & chain wise, plus pricing on same, it'd be appreciated.

Good luck!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 07:38   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I contacted Maxwell directly and was told it would not work. Only real anchor chain.
I would say you have your answer then. Cheap out on the chain and wear out your gypsy and what have you gained?
Old 14-12-2014, 08:08   #11

It's time for me to replace my chain and I'm going through the same research and having the same questions. My gypsy call for G40, but apparently G40 is an obsolete grade of chain, having been replaced by G43, as far as I can tell as far as the NACM is concerned.
http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM-Welded.pdf

But, when I look at the specs from what one company is selling as G40, another is selling as G43, there do seem to be some very slight dimensional differences.
Old 14-12-2014, 08:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Is there somewhere near you which both; has this type of gypsy, & a good return policy? If so, then perhaps you could temporarily pick up a gypsy, & then test fit the different kinds of 3/8" chain in it. Having picked up test samples of the various kinds of chain in advance.

That, and or get test samples of the different chain offerings, & compare them with a set of calipers. As I'd figure that if the less expensive chain has the same dimensions of the other, & can be had with a proof certificate, then go ahead & save yourself some coin.

BTW, I don't know what the gent at "Sea Tech and Fun" is quoting your in terms of chain prices, but, it'd be wise to get it in writing. And also, there are vendors on the internet who at times have prices a fair bit lower than 1st Chain Supply.

If you could be kind enough to let us know what you wind up going with, both windlass, & chain wise, plus pricing on same, it'd be appreciated.

Good luck!
That's what I'm thinking, too. Salesmen lie. Calipers don't.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:01   #13

I would take the gypsy and lay some of each chain in it to see how they fit wrapped all around. The question is: Is the galvanizing the same/ as thick on both?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 09:09   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would take the gypsy and lay some of each chain in it to see how they fit wrapped all around. The question is: Is the galvanizing the same/ as thick on both?

I took my gypsy with a short piece of pipe to Miami Cordage, they pulled out 25-30' of chain and we ran the chain over the gypsy. You have to test more than a foot or two to be sure.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 17:41   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Post Re: G43 Industrial Galvanized vs. G40 Galvanized Anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

I took my gypsy with a short piece of pipe to Miami Cordage, they pulled out 25-30' of chain and we ran the chain over the gypsy. You have to test more than a foot or two to be sure.
I agree. When I say test piece, I mean a couple of fathoms of chain, not feet. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor