Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 07:58   #16

Re: G43 Industrial Galvanized vs. G40 Galvanized Anchor chain

Little chart I made up from looking at some chain suppliers' sites:

5/16” HIGH TEST CHAIN DIMENSIONS
SUPPLIER – DESCRIPTION THICKNESS INSIDE INSIDE OUTSIDE OUTISDE LENGHTS PER
LENGTH WIDTH LENGTH WIDTH FOOT
FIRST CHAIN SUPPLY
ACCO GRADE 40 .330 1.03 0.50 1.69 1.16 11.7

(NO SPECS FOR THEIR G43)

PEERLESS INDUSTRIAL GROUP
ACCO GRADE 43 .329 1.03 O.50 NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN

CANADA METAL SPECIFICA LTD.
G43(CALIBRATED FOR WINDLASSES) .329 1.12 0.50 NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CHAIN
MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
G43 .343 1.29 .44 NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN NOT GIVEN
Old 18-12-2014, 19:09   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

As I understand it with industrial chain is that the tolerances are much wider... so while the specs for the chain might read xyz, the actual dimensions of the chain can vary widely.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 06:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
As I understand it with industrial chain is that the tolerances are much wider... so while the specs for the chain might read xyz, the actual dimensions of the chain can vary widely.
Just for the hell of it, I have been trying to educate myself on this subject.

I'm starting to realize, that part of the problem is recongnizing the difference between NACM (National Association of Chain Manufactures) specifications for a particular grade and size of chain and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) specifications for a particular grade and size of chain.

Also, keeping in mind there are specifications for short link and long link chain (at least with the ISO). Most windlasses use short link and there is no difference in strength ratings between short and long link.

I wrote Maxwell and gave them the code off of my gypsy and they said I need G40 5/16" High Test (with no further information given). NACM says that G40 and G43 are the same thing (but, I think they are referring to strength only). I tried a two foot piece of "5/16" G43 I bought at Lowes just for the hell of it. The links were the right width, but way too long for the gypsy. Obviously, long length chain.

I finally decided that what my windless really calls for is ISO spec Grade 40 short link chain. But, to be sure, I just ordered a foot of that from First Chain Supply. We'll see.

I would just send a piece of the chain I have now, but it has always hung up in the gypsy a little (when you lay it in the gypsy and examine it, the length is perfect, but the widths seems to be just a little snug).

Anyway, interesting stuff to learn about.
Old 19-12-2014, 07:12   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Just for the hell of it, I have been trying to educate myself on this subject.

I'm starting to realize, that part of the problem is recongnizing the difference between NACM (National Association of Chain Manufactures) specifications for a particular grade and size of chain and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) specifications for a particular grade and size of chain.

Also, keeping in mind there are specifications for short link and long link chain (at least with the ISO). Most windlasses use short link and there is no difference in strength ratings between short and long link.

I wrote Maxwell and gave them the code off of my gypsy and they said I need G40 5/16" High Test (with no further information given). NACM says that G40 and G43 are the same thing (but, I think they are referring to strength only). I tried a two foot piece of "5/16" G43 I bought at Lowes just for the hell of it. The links were the right width, but way too long for the gypsy. Obviously, long length chain.

I finally decided that what my windless really calls for is ISO spec Grade 40 short link chain. But, to be sure, I just ordered a foot of that from First Chain Supply. We'll see.

I would just send a piece of the chain I have now, but it has always hung up in the gypsy a little (when you lay it in the gypsy and examine it, the length is perfect, but the widths seems to be just a little snug).

Anyway, interesting stuff to learn about.
There are actually three or four standards for chain. G40, G4 and G43 are all the same standard - the naming of the standard has been changing recently (there is actually another label they go by also). Maxwell gypsies are good in that they are designed to handle all of the marine standards. Chain sold in hardware stores is long-link proof coil, not windlass chain - it won't work.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 07:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There are actually three or four standards for chain. G40, G4 and G43 are all the same standard - the naming of the standard has been changing recently (there is actually another label they go by also). Maxwell gypsies are good in that they are designed to handle all of the marine standards. Chain sold in hardware stores is long-link proof coil, not windlass chain - it won't work.

Mark
Newer Maxwell gypies maybe. Not the earlier ones.

It appears, that "High Test" is a designator for how the chain is strength tested. As is "Proof".

They make a long link High Test chain, too. It's not all proof coil.
That's the point. The standards for strength are exactly the same, and that is frequently all that is listed. The actual dimensions, are not so much (because, except for windlass wildcats) how many users of chain really care how long a link is?).

But, short link chain is used for other things as well (chain manufacturers probably wouldn't make it just for recreational boats). For instance, it is often specified in playground sets so children can't put their fingers in the links and get them caught (found that out when doing my research ).
Old 19-12-2014, 18:36   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I was told by maxwell that industrial chain would jam because even though the chain itself has an overall designation of g4x the individual links in the same length of chain can vary widely... So do not use industrial versions of the g4x chain. Only use windlass g4x chain where the links are all uniform.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor