Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 09:06   #16

Re: Fender or barge boards

I have successfully used for many years 2X4's with white rubber standoffs available at your chandlery. Cut as long as possible but not so long so that the wood touches the hull. Works well coming against pilings.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:17   #17

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
I made some out of 4” PVC pipe. They’ve held up well over 3 years and Hurricane Irma.

Attachment 160915
Had a friend help make mine out of 2 inch pvc with a sokid hardwood 2 inch dowell inserted, filled with expanding foam and end caps. added eye bolts top and bottom. Tied the bottom eyelet to the bottom of the fender to prevent fender sliding out the side. Top eyelet is looped to stanchion.

Not currently on the boat, or i would post a pic.

Pretty heavy 50 foot sail cat. No cane usage to report yet.

Cheers,

Jeff Clark
s/v Sea Larks
jclark500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I like the PVC pipe idea. Looks much neater than the ratty old board I have and I think much easier to store.

I know PVC is tough (ever tried to break a piece hitting it with a hammer) but how would it hold up to a 25,000 lb boat smashing it against a pilint?

I have a 47’ sailboat and it’s held up fine, so far. For Irma I added a third fender in the center.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
At 25F degrees normal PVC will shatter like glass if impacted.

I’m lucky enough to never cruise anywhere that gets below freezing, so the PVC has been fine.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:25   #20

Boat: Boatless

We just use a simple 2x6 (2)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:19   #21

I like timber myself but anything that floats and doesn't break when its most needed would work. Mine are straight grained 30 mm x 250 mm dense clear grained pine (possibly Oregon or Cypress) recycled from old boat timbers. I rounded the corners and edges and give them the occasional fresh coat of decking oil to keep them serviceable and looking tidy. I'm fine to allow anything sacrificial that preserves the paint on my 16 tonne vessel to look a little agricultural, that's what they are for. Most wharf pylons are covered with oysters, barnacles and muscles where they are submerged especially those in places with a big tidal range so it pays to use something that will sill look OK after it has been grated against them. There again I'm not obsessive about having things so neat I'm scared to use them. They also need to be long enough to take up the forward and aft movement without having to constantly shorten springer lines between low and high tides. I store them lashed across the stanchions close to where they will be needed and use at least 3 fenders behind them because I've seen them push fenders out in a slop.
Taswildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:34   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Our fender board is many layers laminated plywood, about 2 " thick, and about 5 1/2' long. We have broken less sturdy ones when there was a surge running. And, our topsides are painted, so easily damaged. We have had problems with shorter fenders popping out and the present ones are about 30" long, and do stay put.

About using the tires, they are perfect, and if you don't want smudges, cover the tires with some tough canvas. Such covers are easy to make, two circles, and the bit for the circumference. Sew the mounting loop down before you close the circle, by hand (you have to envelop the tire/fender).

Ann
Old 23-12-2017, 12:35   #23

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Two 2x6's. Very helpful in many Bahamian marinas (e.g., West End) unless you just tie out from the pilings, which also works if conditions are calm, but it's less convenient. The lumber is also useful in case you have to jury rig a repair, and I have had occasion to use it for that purpose.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:44   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I use long inflatable fenders instead of fender boards
I've tied up to too many commercial and marina docks with nails and bolts sticking out of them to consider anything inflatable.

Pressure treated lumber and consider them disposable. They should be built for abuse.

A 2x6 is a better choice for boats over 35 feet, not just because it is stronger, but because it gives the fender more bearing surface. It's all about PSI x area, and a 2x6 is wider. Get caught by a strong beam wind on a bulkhead, combined with some steep chop, and you will see.

Loops to keep the fenders from popping out are also very handy on strong days. I've shoved 3-4 fenders behind a board.
Old 23-12-2017, 13:15   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I use long inflatable fenders instead of fender boards

I have those same fenders. They are great. Very tough, and stow in a small space. But I still carry a fender board for when the siding is rough or sharp. I just hang the board over the fenders. If it's a long-term landing I lash the board to the fenders.
Old 23-12-2017, 13:24   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There was a product made that fitted standard lumber sizes like 2x4, 2x6. It held the board away from the hull. Taylor Made makes ones for 2x4, maybe bigger. You need something long for pilings. Usually tying to pilings comes with a tide range. If your lines are slack enough to account for the tide, double ended fenders slip out of the way.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 13:38   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have those same fenders. They are great. Very tough, and stow in a small space. But I still carry a fender board for when the siding is rough or sharp. I just hang the board over the fenders. If it's a long-term landing I lash the board to the fenders.
Certainly putting a board over the inflatables is better. I just haven't had the requirement very often over years of cruising. I like clear decks as much as possible, so storing a pair of fender boards just adds to clutter.

If I was in an area that needed these often then I'd carry them. For the occasional need the inflatables work well.
Old 23-12-2017, 14:19   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Certainly putting a board over the inflatables is better. I just haven't had the requirement very often over years of cruising. I like clear decks as much as possible, so storing a pair of fender boards just adds to clutter.

If I was in an area that needed these often then I'd carry them. For the occasional need the inflatables work well.
If you ever lock through s number of locks consider them. They don't polish those walls.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 14:21   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you ever lock through s number of locks consider them. They don't polish those walls.
Done the Panama Canal on my boat twice on this cruise

In the Canal you use tires, lots of them. Fender boards would be dangerous as they can get caught in fenders and lines of other vessels.
Old 23-12-2017, 14:51   #30

Boat: Beneteau 343

I use a white composite board about 4’ long. I hang the board off of the loops of the fender whips via carabiners which makes it easy to hang in the middle of the fender. The composite is light and has slots on one side which face the piling so that the cordage holding the board doesn’t have a chance of rubbing through and making for easy drilling (horizontal versus vertical).
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender