Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 08:52   #1

Boat: Westsail 32', 205' Barque
Enormous Manual Plath

I bought a Westsail 32 back in January, and she came with this large Plath manual windlass. As I'm restoring the boat, servicing the windlass is on the to-do list. I've tried contacting Plath, but they never responded. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

It pulls up the ground tackle with ease, but it doesn't free spool when letting it out. Is it supposed to?

... and before anyone recommends a new electric windlass, I have absolutely no desire to buy and/or install one.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	106411  
rb1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:59   #2

Re: Enormous Manual Plath

Those are supposed to be very good machines. Most windlasses have a clutch that may need cleaning and adjustment. Does it have that? That's how you free fall. I cant tell from the pic. Sorry I don't know that windlass.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Looks like there is a foot lever below the chain gypsy. Assume that's the control for free falling the windlass and that you've tried using it. If it doesn't work and you can't find any other way to allow the gypsy to freewheel, you'll have to take the windlass apart and see what there is to see. Sure does look like a beast of a windlass. If it's a simple dog clutch should be relatively easy to free up and get working again. Might be able to do from the exterior with lots of penetrating oil and a heat gun.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 22:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a Albina Engine & Machine windlass using 5/8 chain, that looks like they came from the same shop. It has the same capstan and knobs on top. The base is a dead ringer with the bolt holes and the chain pipe holes. It doesn't have the shaft coming out of the rear knob. The motor bolts low on the back side
On the st'bd side, outside of the chain wildcat, there is a handwheel that loosens the bolt in the center of the wildcat. That allows the clutch to slip. On mine, if you remove the wildcat, there is a cone covered with brake pad/clutch material that the wildcat's internal cone rubs against. The tighter the wheel, the more braking. Also, between the wildcat and the housing, there is a pawl so the chain can be locked while using the capstan alone with the handwheel loosened.
My guess is yours is similar and the handwheel was removed by some boso. Mine has no foot pad.
To drop anchor, the handwheel is slacked and the anchor has to be moved slightly off the rollers. When enough chain is run out the handwheel is tightened.
Mine is unbolted right now and I could take some detailed pictures when the sun comes up again.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

RC Plath Company

Manufacturing Facility:
36339 Industrial Way
Sandy, OR 97055
U.S.A.

All Mail / Correspondence:
P.O. Box 1658
Sandy, OR 97055-1658

Voice: (503) 668-5757
Fax: (503) 668-4557
Email: Info@abbaind.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I was going to send pic of my windlass, but now that I know Plath took over the manufacturing of the Albina windlass, I looked up the web site and they have better pics.

RC Plath Company - Metal Spinning Since 1926
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p7.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	106476   Click image for larger version

Name:	p10.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	106477  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:32   #7

Boat: Westsail 32', 205' Barque

Sorry everyone, I was down working on the boat this weekend with no internet access. Thanks for all your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Those are supposed to be very good machines. Most windlasses have a clutch that may need cleaning and adjustment. Does it have that? That's how you free fall. I cant tell from the pic. Sorry I don't know that windlass.
I'm not sure about the clutch. I'll have to look into it. As others have said below, I think the foot pedal has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Looks like there is a foot lever below the chain gypsy. Assume that's the control for free falling the windlass and that you've tried using it. If it doesn't work and you can't find any other way to allow the gypsy to freewheel, you'll have to take the windlass apart and see what there is to see. Sure does look like a beast of a windlass. If it's a simple dog clutch should be relatively easy to free up and get working again. Might be able to do from the exterior with lots of penetrating oil and a heat gun.
Yea, depressing the foot lever doesn't do anything that I can tell. However, the foot lever hits the top of the samson post, so it may require more travel to function properly. The windlass probably hasn't been serviced in over thirty years, so I could stand to take it apart to see. The previous owner claims she hoisted up a blob of kelp larger than the boat with this windlass. It definitely has some "oomph"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have a Albina Engine & Machine windlass using 5/8 chain, that looks like they came from the same shop. It has the same capstan and knobs on top. The base is a dead ringer with the bolt holes and the chain pipe holes. It doesn't have the shaft coming out of the rear knob. The motor bolts low on the back side
On the st'bd side, outside of the chain wildcat, there is a handwheel that loosens the bolt in the center of the wildcat. That allows the clutch to slip. On mine, if you remove the wildcat, there is a cone covered with brake pad/clutch material that the wildcat's internal cone rubs against. The tighter the wheel, the more braking. Also, between the wildcat and the housing, there is a pawl so the chain can be locked while using the capstan alone with the handwheel loosened.
My guess is yours is similar and the handwheel was removed by some boso. Mine has no foot pad.
To drop anchor, the handwheel is slacked and the anchor has to be moved slightly off the rollers. When enough chain is run out the handwheel is tightened.
Mine is unbolted right now and I could take some detailed pictures when the sun comes up again.
I've taken a look at the chain wildcat, and it doesn't appear to have ever had a wheel. I think the foot pedal is the clutch release. I won't know for sure until I take apart the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
RC Plath Company

Manufacturing Facility:
36339 Industrial Way
Sandy, OR 97055
U.S.A.

All Mail / Correspondence:
P.O. Box 1658
Sandy, OR 97055-1658

Voice: (503) 668-5757
Fax: (503) 668-4557
Email: Info@abbaind.com
Thank you. As I said in my original post, I tried contacting Plath several times with no response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I was going to send pic of my windlass, but now that I know Plath took over the manufacturing of the Albina windlass, I looked up the web site and they have better pics.

RC Plath Company - Metal Spinning Since 1926
Yes they definitely have very similar characteristics. Nice and shiny new paint too
rb1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:32   #8

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

I have one of these on my Cal 3-46 ketch. Yes it does. Question for you... do you know how/ where to lub it? Never had issue with it, until boat was up on hard for two years (pandemic)... maybe not sloshing around internal oil?

Anyway, now it takes a lot of effort to crank... when it was effortless before. If I remove it is there a bottom plate access? Are grease fittings accessible after the chain or drum wheel need
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote