Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2009, 14:42   #1

Electric Windlass for Beneteau 361?

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just purchased a 2000 Beneteau 361 and are contemplating adding an electric windlass. Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 15:04   #2

I have an 18000# sloop and use 200' of chain. The windlass is a Maxwell which is a vertical with both chain and rope gypsies. 1200# rating should be enough.

Any serious cruiser needs a windlass and chain. Takes the stress out of anchoring. Use an anchor snubber.

Old 03-06-2009, 15:12   #3

A manual windlass would be far easier to install, plus you don't have to worry about battery drain, maintenance, etc. Depending on your particular circumstances and the kind of cruising you plan to do, you might want to try a manual first.... you could always change to an electric later, and sell the manual.

In any event, the best kind of electric windlass is one that can also be used in manual mode.
Old 03-06-2009, 16:42   #4

I did the manual to electric upgrade when I went serious about cruising and not paying for moorings every day.

If you anchor often skip the manual and install the electric. It's expensive but you make it back quickly in savings from moorings and dockage. Plus being anchored out is MUCH nicer.

The Maxwell does work as a manual, AND can be used as an electric winch to hoist someone aloft! I suspect others do as well. A manual will still kill your back.
Old 03-06-2009, 18:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I opted for the Lewmar V3 for my 33 morgan. 1930lb advertised pull. Manual kit costs extra. Overkill , but we live at anchor most of time. Oversized anchor makes sleep come much easier in a blow. We've encountered times where current holds us broadside to wind and ground tackle really gets a workout.
Steve
Old 03-06-2009, 19:15   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Vonnie,
Just checking; you don't have a manual windlass now do you ?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:42   #7

Vonniej425

try Anchorlift www.anchorlift.com , reliable and reasonably priced.
Dolphin should be OK for your boat; also Shark 15 kg anchor may be of use.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Thumbs up Maxwell

Vonnie--

The foredeck of the 361 was designed to accomodate a vertical windlass that will allow you to manage ground tackle from both bow rollers so long as you have an open gypsy. You may find that your best option for equipment will be had by contacting Beneteau as we've found that parts purchased through the Company are far less costly than the same parts on the secondary market. That said, you may find that the windlasses currently available through Beneteau are not to your liking (I don't know what brand they are at this point). While our yacht is somewhat larger than yours, we found that the Maxwell vertical windlass offered the best combination of value and reliablilty and have been very happy with our selection.

In any case, good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 19:31   #9

Beneteau 361 Lewmar V-2 windlass installation

I am in the process of installing a Lewmar V-2 windlass to handle chain and rope on my 2001 model 361 sailboat. I was having a problem gettting the front cover off, where the windlass would be installed. Beneteau suggested that I use a razor blade knife to cut the sealant, but that did not work. I was able to get it cut by using a thin plastic counter top backsplash material (APC panel # B50-17). I was able to get a corner of the backsplash material under the back of the cover and work it around on both sides, one side at a time. I have also found a route for the 2/0 wire needed to power the windlass. I am still in the process of installing the system and may wait until the end of the sailing season to actually finish it.
Old 23-06-2009, 22:15   #10

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your suggestions! We might not get this done until the season is over. We are too anxious to get out there. It helps to get info ahead of time. I'm so glad I found this site and that so many people are willing to share. Thanks again!

Tags
beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: