Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 10:09   #31

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
Re: Did your chain break after regalvanising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have the same chain for 30+ years (3/8"BBB) and had it galvanized 4 times. Still on the same anchor and chain as I write this.

What friends have done with very rusty chain before taking it to the galvanizers is to find a sandy road or beach they can drive on and hook the chain to the back of there pickup. Dragging it for 10 minutes then end for ending it. The result is no rust, shiny chain and a much better galvanizing.

www.jacarandajourney.com
I like a good excuse to go 4WD on the the beach, Bribie Island here I come.

Sent from my D6653 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:13   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sardean,

In all our many years of cruising, we've only heard to two broken chain incidents.

The first was in Mexico, where a French Canadian skipper had bought some used chain from a Mexican fisherman. It broke one day, and he cut off a foot and re-used it. The chain broke again in about 20 knots, leading to the boat's being beached.

The second was anchored at Raoul is. in the Kermadec Grooup, when a vessel anchored on a 120 lb. Danforth, without a snubber snapped his chain in 60-80 knot gusts during Cyclone Lisa... I believe it would have been okay with a snubber. We were anchored in there, too, with a snubber on the rode.

Finally, I'd like to comment that usually re-galvanize is thicker than the original galvo. All good.

Ann
Old 21-09-2015, 14:37   #33

Thanks Ann, our cat weighs 8 ton, we have a 20mm nylon rope from each bow that hooks onto the chain and lets the chain rest about 5 metres out from bows, I leave the chain quite loose with a good sag between winch and hook, is this what you mean as a snubber and sound adequate. Our chain looks to be in good condition but gal has basically gone so is very messy.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:21   #34

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Just a thought. If the re-galvanizing is better than the original, would it make sense to buy ungalvanized chain and then have it galvanized locally?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:41   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have only been to one chain factory, but the methods used to property galvanize chain looked pretty specialized, and the chain was in an entirely consistent form (clean, dry steel). AFter dipping in the galvanizing bath of zinc, it's shaken in such a way that the zinc clings to all surfaces, but the links to bond together. I don't know about re-galvanizing, but I can't believe it is somehow better.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54   #36

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have a 10 meter 4.9 k boat in the med. The chain on the boat had sat in the anchor locker all winter and the drain was plugged. The end of the chain rusted badly. I tried to buy new chain in Italy but was unable to find that particuilar size. I think it was 3/8 BBB but am not sure. Finally with no alternative I cut off the rusted chain and ended up with nine meters of chain and a 300' rope rode. While cutting the rusted chain I was amazed. Large flakes of rust were coming off of the chain. When I could look at it in section I was pretty amazed at how much meat was left on the bone. I wish I had pictures. Considering how much overkill 3/8" chain is for my boat I think I would have been fine with the rusted chain.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:07   #37

Thanks for all the help. Today I got my chain back from industrial galvanizers at eaglefarm , Brisbane, Australia. $320 including anchor, instead of $1200 dollars to replace chain
. As suggested I dragged it behind 4WD along the beach this cleaned all the rust off. The chain and anchor look better than new.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:11   #38

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0706-1280x720.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	110705
Old 09-10-2015, 14:53   #39

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I have only been to one chain factory, but the methods used to property galvanize chain looked pretty specialized, and the chain was in an entirely consistent form (clean, dry steel). AFter dipping in the galvanizing bath of zinc, it's shaken in such a way that the zinc clings to all surfaces, but the links to bond together. I don't know about re-galvanizing, but I can't believe it is somehow better.

Chuck

Hi Chuck.
We have found that after regalvanizing the chain last much longer than right out of the barrel. IMO it's because there is more zinc shaken off when it's new. The 3 times we have had it galvanized in 3 different locations the chain came back with a much thicker coating?

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 10-10-2015, 02:15   #40

Regalvanising is good fun. We toyed with dumping the three 'sort of' rusty anchors on our newly bought, 40 year old European boat, had them regalvanised for $280 near Brisbane www.fero.com.au and have now three beautiful anchors. We became so proud we polished the bow roller to match We ended up buying new chain but will not hesitate to have it regalved when the time comes.

We previously had a thirteen ton 38ft steel yacht on anchor (we were living ashore) in Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays, Australia for 7 years through all sorts of weather. Always had 80 metres out and it did become stretched, it no longer fitted the gypsy! I thought it was slow rust making the links thinner but thinking back, it was a sudden change, probably from a very strong northerly. Chain is tougher than you think, worry more about the shackles, anchors, holding and scope
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:43   #41

I grew up on a farm and we used logging chains, the same sizes as we use for anchor chain, all of the time. We often put tremendous loads on those chains, pulling out stuck tractors and other uses. I don't ever recall breaking one ( even one time when we tried to jerk a stuck truck out of the mud and ended up pulling the entire bed off). And we frequently used them to jerk things free, putting a lot more stress on them than anchoring could ever produce.
Old 11-10-2015, 13:50   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I'm a former commercial fisherman and at times cheap by necessity. When building a new boat, the chain sometimes came from the old one. We often regalvanized chain, anchors and other equipment. We also anchored in the open sea when no protected anchorage was available. And maybe we used heavier chain. In my years fishing I never heard of a anchor chain break. Sometimes other rigging chain. Once I heard of a windlass breaking loose. And it's common for anchor lines break. But not chain.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote