Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 07:56   #31

Boat: Islander 36
re: Delta Copy Anchor Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
When I see boats try to set a Delta along side of me or up wind, I move and reset my gear. I've seen countless Delta anchors drag in minimal wind conditions. ‼️⚓️
Buy a new anchor....
Wow! Anchor war!
If ever sailing were all about opinion....

I have yet to drag mine when others around me were dragging in day after day stiff winds.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:02   #32

Lewmar makes a Swivel as well. I've heard from several folks that implementing a Lewmar swivel when using an all-chain rode helps this problem significantly.

Apparently, with all chain, if twisted, it can make it difficult for the anchor to roll against the twist in the chain. A boat length of chain with line rode does not have as much of a problem with this.

I've used both Rocna and Mason supreme and never had any problems setting or holding with the exception of two occasions. Both times the admiral accidentally free-fell a bunch of chain during the initial drop and fouled the anchor with chain. simple mistake easily fixed.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:06   #33

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we bought a Lewmar Delta in Athens, Gr., and have used it exclusively since 2012; we're now in the Caribb. Our 43 monohull has only slipped once since then, although we've had it drag trying to get a set on a couple of occasions on a hard sand bottom-but it did eventually set. We do use a swivel on our all-chain rode, typically put out a 3:1-5:1 scope, and have never had an issue ....including when we've swung 90 deg-180deg on a wind change. The only anchor I've ever seen that I'd rate higher, based on personal observations, is a Ronca...but its a lot more $$$.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:07   #34

Boat: 41 Morgan 1971

I have a 41 foot Morgan, been sailing over 40 years. My Lewmar is hit and miss. It dragged 3 times this summer in the Ababcos where it should have easily set in sand and light turtle grass. I dove down to see what was happening and it was on its side going dragging. I tried to pick it up and manually set it while crew held the boat in position, no luck. I got an old Danforth out, it set immediately. I have little faith in the Lewmar at this point.
dduresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:26   #35

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Others have observed and your receipt confirms that you don't have a Delta.

That said, our anchoring technique is different - and particularly helpful in sloppy mud where you could plow out of it, setting it deeper.

I let out enough to hit the bottom. With our windlass, it's obvious when it hits, as the pressure drops to only that of the chain. I let out about 25' from there - about a 2-1 usually - and wait for a dip signifying initial set.

I let out 10-15' per time from that, continuing to drift back, and further setting it (gently) each time. As I get to the snubber (~20'), I attach it while it's still slack, and let out the last 25 or so feet. I then back hard. I've never failed to get a satisfying dip of the bow, and stop/rebound (from the snubber stretch recovering).

However the shank angle on yours suggests that your experience is a product of design, not method...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:57   #36

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

We have a Lewmar #44 Delta and have used it extensively while cruising for the past seven years in Mexico. We use a leader (~35') of chain, followed by 6-plait 5/8" nylon rode (not recommended for anchoring in coral or rocky bottoms). We're meticulous when it comes to lowering and setting the hook and after nearly 50 years of practice have become proficient. The only time we had problems with the Delta not setting was when it became fouled with weed. Otherwise, setting in predominately sandy bottoms was what you'd expect; easy and straight forward. Once set, increasing winds were not a problem. Self setting upon shifting currents occasionally resulted in very short dragging (20-40') before resetting. I suspect with all chain rode and insufficient ability to rotate at the stock could result in side dragging of this design. If I were to replace this anchor, it would be with the Ronca design.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:09   #37

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Go to the store put + or - $500.00 on the counter and buy your self a Mason Supreme and never look back !!! best money ever spent !!
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 12:03   #38
Marine Service Provider

You have to be diligent when purchasing an anchor. Imitations are built by what amounts to "thieves". Companies like that do not concern themselves with product performance or customer service.
Please always research the dealer and company you are purchasing from.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 12:50   #39

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

To me it seems like you have a very light anchor for the size of boat. I am willing to bet that if you upgrade to a 30 0r 35 lb anchor you will not have a drag problem.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 13:13   #40
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

FWIW, we are very happy with our Lewmar Delta. We never drag in sand bottom....and that includes being caught in some awkward, exposed positions.

The only times we experience any uncertainties is on mud, but even there we'll hold with plenty of scope and not too much wind. If it's blowing hard and we're on mud (never happened yet...and can't really imagine how it would as mud tends to be in the very protected spots?) then we'd be anxious and probably consider our spare Danforth...or head to sea!

We anchor a lot. When cruising (half the year, every year) we only visit marinas for provisioning and to unload rubbish, probably spending 1 night out of every 18 on a marina. No problems with the Delta.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 13:18   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Perhaps the Mods would entertain renaming this thread;

Delta Knock-Off Anchor Doesn't Work

It seems a tad unfair to the folks at Lewmar to have this thread associated with their name when the poster was using a knock-off anchor, not the real McCoy....
Old 17-11-2015, 13:21   #42

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway-Brown View Post
I tried to post a photo and lost my reply. I'll try again.
Anchor has no markings, just a paper tag long gone. It weighs 10 kg (22 pounds). I do allow for bow height in my scope calculations. And yes, I do expect Lewmar to respond, especially if I am mistaken. That is common courtesy. I will take the anchor back to the chandler I bought it from to be certain what it is. If mistaken, Lewmar gets an honest and heartfelt apology. Meanwhile, shame on Lewmar for not responding. Anchor is not bent. It has never had to hold any force because it always dragged.
Your pictures DO LOOK like a Lewmar Delta. My wife and I spent 4 years in the Sea of Cortez and Banderas Bay and points in between. We use a 35# Lewmar Delta to anchor my 1971 Cal 39. The only time it dragged was the first time we tried setting it (with my then inexperienced wife on the helm). The problem was that I said to up the RPM to 1300. She did, but I forgot to say "slowly". The sudden pull caused the anchor to rise straight up. It wasn't even touching the bottom. Other than that first time, and another where it was on top of an uncharted wrech's deck, it always set and always held. If the water is shallow (10' or less) and the chop is severe (3' or more) you will have to use more scope. I'd calculate the height as depth + height of bow above water + height of chop and use a 10 to 1 scope minimum. You want the pull on the anchor to be horizontal even when the bow rises and pulls. Anchors like the Delta (and Danforth and MANY others) do not hold by their weight, but rather by grabbing the bottom mechanically and resisting a horizontal pull.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 13:47   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
To me it seems like you have a very light anchor for the size of boat. I am willing to bet that if you upgrade to a 30 0r 35 lb anchor you will not have a drag problem.
And while you're at it, buy a real anchor, not something made to LOOK like an anchor.

This reminds me of those artsy fartsy table decorations of sailboats welded up from brass. The rigging if any is always all wrong.
For example, fractional backstay??
I got this at a garage sale for $1.00. When I bought it, the pennant at the top of the mast was going upwind.

Paintings of sailboats are just as bad. It's very rare to see one with anything close to correct rigging or sail trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3144[1].jpg
Views:	150
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	113230  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 14:07   #44

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

It seems a tad unfair to the folks at Lewmar to have this thread associated with their name when the poster was using a knock-off anchor, not the real McCoy....
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 14:27   #45

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Agree 👍

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lewmar