Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 11:38   #31

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Delta Anchor, Set in Sand, with Pictures

Guess we'll just have to disagree. Fact is that you can most certainly feel when your anchor is set and if you can't set an anchor manually you are missing the best way to do it.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 00:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Guess we'll just have to disagree. Fact is that you can most certainly feel when your anchor is set and if you can't set an anchor manually you are missing the best way to do it.
Just way too much going on at that point to be on the bow holding the chain in your hands. You could easily have the current/wind grab the boat and exert a tremendous amount of energy on your arms/shoulders/back.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 09:25   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by opuabernd
I like the Delta in 'hard' bottoms such as sand clay and even grass. However in any soft bottoms such as found around Opua, Russel and Te Puna Inlet (New Zealand) the Delta just won't set. We have tried everything long scope short scope, waiting a while before backing - just no good.
Agreed. Set great in sand but poorly in mud and silt.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:37   #34

I have snokeled a Delta too many times to count. That's a typical set in grassy resistive sand. In bare sand, all you will see is the tip of the shank by morning. Great anchors.... but watch out when the wind shifts significantly!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 10:43   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I was suprised to see so few even mention Danforths. Been using Danforths on sandy delta bottoms my whole life. Slept soundly almost always.

Any reason no one thinks much of them? Too limited in their application?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 10:53   #36

Boat: Little Harbor 46

I found that a Fortress (a Danforth type of anchor) was the best in soft Carribbean sand, a CQR in harder sand, but now in the Med where we get a lot of hard to penetrate grass on sand or mud, the best was a Spade, and the best by miles. My Delta which I only had because it came with the boat was dreadful.
As to "hand setting", surely its the only way?
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 10:56   #37

Danforth styles have the best holding power of all, but are difficult to store, have sharp edges and wont reset in a wind shift. Straight line pull? I'll take a Danforth over all of them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 11:11   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Danforth styles have the best holding power of all, but are difficult to store, have sharp edges and wont reset in a wind shift. Straight line pull? I'll take a Danforth over all of them.

My sheet anchor is a 110 lb. Danforth on 300' of 5/8" BBB. They do have the largest area of fluke. Once set well, it's not going anywhere as long as the wind doesn't shift. Bower is a 105 lb. CQR on 300' of BBB. Lunch hook or stern anchor is an 85 lb. CQR on 30' of 5/8" BBB and 300' of 1" hawser. Also have a 400' length of 1" hawser in the chain locker in case extra scope is needed on any of them.
On backing down, I think a Max Prop really helps. They develop 50% more thrust in reverse than a fixed blade prop. I watch for the bow dip, that's how I know the hook is truly set. If the bow doesn't dip I'm just digging furrows.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:33   #39

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Ahh the thread regained life!

Since last years woes, I purchased an 80# Manson, did not get a chance to use it until this season. AND OH! BEFORE I FORGET, I SOLD MY 55# DELTA using Craig's List about a month ago. Went for $250. I still have an 88# one for anybody who believes in Deltas.

My wonderful MANSON SUPREME!!! Last week when we returned to the slip after a week or so anchoring in ell grass, my Manson's roll bar was covered with mud and grass as was the rest of the anchor. It must have buried itself. What a joy! One night a storm came through, wind had to exceed 50. We stayed put. I posted that occurrence just as the storm subsided that night.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00   #40

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

This has been a great thread to read- thank you all that wrote. Anchoring conditions are so variable there will always be room for lots of discussion. My setup is 8000# sailboat, 22# delta/20ft 5/16 chain+line and 10#Fortress/15ft 5/16 chain+line. Very few problems anchoring in ocean, SF bay, or Sac Delta. My anchors are relatively over-size and this overcomes most problems. My experience agrees with most of the comments. Delta works most of the time but not in soft mud or in hard to penatrate bottoms like hard clay. Fortress with sharp points and large flat surfaces works where the Delta does not.
I have seen other boats with Delta's try to set (and fail) due to short scope and jerking with the motor (probably breaks it free before it can work its way in deeply). In my case, once the Delta has dug in deeply the hold is very strong (like 30-35 knot wind in 1.5 ft chop for 30 hours). Yea, I know, that really isn't huge wind but it was enough!
In regards to "plowing" I monitor the GPS after setting anchor to see if we are dragging. Sometimes I would see slow change of position (5, 10, 15 feet) and was concerned enough to re-set the anchor. Actually, GPS has accuracy limits in this range so I now think it could have been "GPS drift" rather than anchor dragging. In any case, since I replaced the old dying GPS receiver I have not seen any of this sort of "dragging".
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 07:07   #41

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post
This has been a great thread to read- thank you all that wrote. Anchoring conditions are so variable there will always be room for lots of discussion. My setup is 8000# sailboat, 22# delta/20ft 5/16 chain+line and 10#Fortress/15ft 5/16 chain+line. Very few problems anchoring in ocean, SF bay, or Sac Delta. My anchors are relatively over-size and this overcomes most problems. My experience agrees with most of the comments. Delta works most of the time but not in soft mud or in hard to penatrate bottoms like hard clay. Fortress with sharp points and large flat surfaces works where the Delta does not.
I have seen other boats with Delta's try to set (and fail) due to short scope and jerking with the motor (probably breaks it free before it can work its way in deeply). In my case, once the Delta has dug in deeply the hold is very strong (like 30-35 knot wind in 1.5 ft chop for 30 hours). Yea, I know, that really isn't huge wind but it was enough!
11000# sailboat, 35# Delta, 10# fortress, similar results.
My Delta has held in 45Knt winds and dragged in 20. I can name every spot it's dragged, always soft mud. The delta needs to work itself in using the constant tugging of wind, 1 quick pull is not enough. As with any anchor, you have to know your anchor, its limitations, and how set it properly. I have an advantage, I set it by hand, so I can feel it it the bottom, have it land upright, and keep a little tension on the rode so there is no slack when it comes time to back down.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 07:23   #42
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
11000# sailboat, 35# Delta, 10# fortress, similar results.
My Delta has held in 45Knt winds and dragged in 20. I can name every spot it's dragged, always soft mud. The delta needs to work itself in using the constant tugging of wind, 1 quick pull is not enough. As with any anchor, you have to know your anchor, its limitations, and how set it properly. I have an advantage, I set it by hand, so I can feel it it the bottom, have it land upright, and keep a little tension on the rode so there is no slack when it comes time to back down.
Tom
If you tried to set my ground tackle by hand you would be severely injured. Only an option for small boats.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 23:02   #43
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Check out this video (start 3:34 to the end)

For complete list of videos you can go to:
Test Videos | MantusAnchors
Here we compare Mantus to the Delta in soft sandy bottom, at least in this particular bottom the Delta was ploughing even under engine power.
So an anchored buried does not mean it will hold you in a blow.
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 17:45   #44

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

For the 20 months of cruising the Bahamas, over the years, the last 7 months were done with a 35 Delta (14,000# sailboat) as my primary anchor. It's the first anchor, that I felt safe, without setting a 2nd anchor. Before getting the Delta, I was using 2 HT Danforths, and a 35 Danforth plow, which I hated.
When setting the Delta (or any other anchor) after giving 1/2 or better throttle in reverse, I would cut power, and put in neutral, and let the nylon rode spring the boat forward, then back in reverse, and with a short, running start, give it another tug. Did this a few times, and it sets the anchor good. Almost every time, the anchor flukes were totally buried.
Love the Delta. Worked for me.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 19:29   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have used Danforth anchors for many years ! never had a problem unless a big change in wind direction comes along ! We tryed CQRs and never had much luck with them. Had a Bruce for a while, it was ok but ya needed to know the tricks to make it set right ! Always carried a Luke Rock pick and it sure helped when ya needed it ! Im looking at a couple of the new modern anchors, but the boat we are buying has a anchor Hawse Hole on the Starboard side, and as yet we don't know if the new style anchors will fit? as theres a LARGE Danforth in there now! so if I can't get a Manson or Mantus to fit I wont be to upset !! We back down at half speed then full speed till the bow dips and stays ! always worked for us !!!

Tags
anchor, delta