Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2011, 16:54   #1

Delta Anchor Bent

Just curious if anyone has ever experienced trouble with their Delta (44lb on a Jeanneau 49DS)? We just noticed a bend at the elbow - roughly 3/4" to the right looking from astern...

To our knowledge, the anchor was not caught in rocks, a tree or cable.

I heard there might have been a bad batch following Lewmar's acquisition - any truth in that???

Thanks

M
mviau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 17:42   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Delta Anchor Bent

I doubt there's any truth to a 'bad batch', could be a bad unit though... Any chance it was struck by lightning or snagged on an electric cable? Seems like it would have been softened, or defective, since pulling on it hard enough to bend it would have snapped your rode like a twig....
Old 26-07-2011, 18:06   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Seems like it would have been softened, or defective, since pulling on it hard enough to bend it would have snapped your rode like a twig....
And you came to that conclusion how exactly?
Old 26-07-2011, 18:18   #4

Because it's a half inch of steel with a considerably large surface area... And the Rode is made of what? It's not rocket surgery...
Old 26-07-2011, 18:27   #5

Quote:
Because it's a half inch of steel with a considerably large surface area
I wouldn't have thought it that hard to bend 1/2 inch thick steel with leverage and surge

Quote:
And the Rode is made of what?
Might be 13mm all chain for all we know
Old 26-07-2011, 18:51   #6

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

callmecrazy,

OK, "you're crazy". Seriously, given what we know now of the quality of Rocna's steel and it's ability to bend to a side load, I don't think it is far fetched that Lewmar may be using similar or lesser quality steel in their anchors. They are, after all, much cheaper and made in the same place.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 18:59   #7

The rocna's bending was not done by a boat... I'm not saying it's impossible, im not really interested in researching the physical properties of plate steel vs welded chain... I'm just saying it's more likely a defect than it just being bent under 'normal' circumnstances.

My 22lbs delta is like 3/8 inch steel (it's underwater right now so I can't measure it), so I'm guessing a 44lbs one is considerably larger. Just a guess though... If his anchor bent during usage, it would be the first reported and clearly not a standard problem, indicating a flaw in the anchor, from an unknown source.
Old 26-07-2011, 19:14   #8

"Because it's a half inch of steel with a considerably large surface area... And the Rode is made of what? It's not rocket surgery... "
Bending is different than breaking. The chain is in tension, the plate steel of the Delta shank would be subjected to a side load. It's completely different. Technically, a 3/8 bolt can lift your whole boat in tension! If you lay a piece of 1/2 steel that size accross a curb, my gues is you can bend it with a couple of blows froma 3# hammer.
Anchors bend sometimes. It doesnt break rodes very often. The Delta is just a flat piece of steel. I've seen CQR's severely bent and they have an I beam cross section.
OP: If you dont like it take it to a shop that has a hydraulic press and they can bend it back for you. If anything it'll be stronger!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:31   #9

I understand what you're saying, but half inch plate won't bend from a few (or several) blows from a hammer. I was a welder for three years before I got into contstruction, I've banged on plenty of steel... Like I said, I'm not a scientist, and Im sure it's possible in some circumnstance, it's just not very likely. The OP said he didn't pull excesivly on it, so that's what I'm going on...
Old 26-07-2011, 19:40   #10

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but half inch plate won't bend from a few (or several) blows from a hammer.
I can assure you that 12,500 kg of yacht, surging at anchor excerpts more force than you can with a hammer

Quote:
The OP said he didn't pull excesivly on it,
No he didnt
The op said
Quote:
Quite the difference

It may have been well bedded in with gale force winds and then had large wind shift, no rocks tree or cable involved.
Old 26-07-2011, 19:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviau View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever experienced trouble with their Delta (44lb on a Jeanneau 49DS)? We just noticed a bend at the elbow - roughly 3/4" to the right looking from astern...

I heard there might have been a bad batch following Lewmar's acquisition - any truth in that???

Thanks

M
When did Rocna start building the Delta's...
Old 26-07-2011, 19:51   #12

Well, I guess the question is was it bent always or it just happened? I was a certified Boilermaker welder for years before going back to college and working in Aerospace 25 years as an engineer on primarily welded assemblies. I'm a 160# weakling, but assure you that I can bend a piece of 1/2 plate 2.5-3" wide with a 3-4# sledge! It doesnt take much of a bend on 3 ft of shank to put the end an inch out! Think about it... as a welder, if someone gave you a 2.5-3" wide flat bar and you welded it to a steel weld table, left it overhanging 3 ft, then put your weight on the end of it hard... could you put a permanent bend in it? I like the Delta, but have always thought they should put more cross section in the shank...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:54   #13

hi guys - interesting discussion. The rode we have been using is all chain. It is possible we would have pulled from the side but even so, our sailing has been mostly around Toronto, soft bottom, sand or mud or weeds... I know it was not hit... and this is my third Delta and the first time I have a problem. My other issue is that I called the Toronto distributor who apparently has contacted Lewmar whose response was more or less "tough luck". They are questioning the validity of my report... with no suggestion of any investigation on their part solution on repairs, etc... hence this discussion... this is my first on CruisersForum - so again thanks for any insight.
mviau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 19:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviau View Post
hi guys - interesting discussion. The rode we have been using is all chain. It is possible we would have pulled from the side but even so, our sailing has been mostly around Toronto, soft bottom, sand or mud or weeds... I know it was not hit... and this is my third Delta and the first time I have a problem. My other issue is that I called the Toronto distributor who apparently has contacted Lewmar whose response was more or less "tough luck". They are questioning the validity of my report... with no suggestion of any investigation on their part solution on repairs, etc... hence this discussion... this is my first on CruisersForum - so again thanks for any insight.

At least they are going by the letter of their guarantee:

"All Delta anchors are "guaranteed for life against breakage". Lloyd's Test Certification is available for individual Delta anchors by arrangement.

**Damage by deformation or bending is not covered by this guarantee."

Can you post a picture or upload it to photobucket or another host and post a link to it..?
Old 26-07-2011, 19:57   #15

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Oh boy another broken anchor thread!

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta