Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 11:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Deck Pipe

Hi All,

I have a Pearson 10M that has a port on the deck for the rode. The problem is that the port snaps shut and is difficult to quickly open, plus of course I would then have to attach the rode to the anchor.

What I want to do is have a pipe that allows me to keep the anchor connected. I cannot find a suitable deck pipe, the flange of the existing port is 5" (12.7 cm) wide and the opening is about 3 1/2 inches wide(8.8 cm). I did not remove the port to check the actual hole size, but it would have to be close to 4". I cannot seem to locate a deck pipe that will fit my existing opening. Anyone have any idea where I might find a deck pipe in this size.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:56   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Deck Pipe

Although it's technically a spurling pipe, you might have better luck looking up a hawse pipe. EBay has some.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 12:02   #3

Boat: Krogen 42

You could use a small dorade facing aft. It works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-08-2016, 13:07   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A quick look found this one at eBay
Vintage Rope Deck Pipe Bronze Anchor Hawse with Lid | eBay

and

BRONZE ACHOR CHAIN DECK PIPE HAWSER 4 5 | eBay

Chromed Brass Anchor Chain Hawse Pipe – Boaterbits

if you google deck pipe, deck plate, anchor hawse, spurling pipe (brass or bronze) it will help.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 13:31   #5

Thanks All!

I found a small dorade that looks like it has a base diameter that will work, inexpensive too!
Old 15-08-2016, 13:42   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sagablu,

Just one caveat with the vent for this use, if you get a lot of water on deck, it will run in through the opening in the vent, and sometimes fill up the place where it goes to. Then, it depends on if your anchor locker drains or has access of the interior of the boat.

A hawse pipe with a cover over it will keep out the water.

Ann
Old 15-08-2016, 14:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
sagablu,

Just one caveat with the vent for this use, if you get a lot of water on deck, it will run in through the opening in the vent, and sometimes fill up the place where it goes to. Then, it depends on if your anchor locker drains or has access of the interior of the boat.

A hawse pipe with a cover over it will keep out the water.

Ann
I thought of that. I do not get much if any water on deck, I am a newb so costal sailing in good weather only for now. I was looking for a pipe with a cap that has a cut-out to allow me to keep the rode connected, but cannot locate one that has a large enough flange for the existing hole. Worst that can happen is a wasted $40. Thanks for the heads-up in any case.

I really need to keep the anchor ready, Case in point. I nicely let my friends wife ( with significant racing experience) pilot the boat off the mooring. She promptly ran over the dingy line that wrapped around the prop. Engine stalled, off the mooring, me in the water with a knife. Fortunately there was someone on a close by boat who threw me a line before I drifted into someone. I do not want to have no back up plan ever again.
Old 15-08-2016, 14:53   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
I thought of that. I do not get much if any water on deck, I am a newb so costal sailing in good weather only for now. I was looking for a pipe with a cap that has a cut-out to allow me to keep the rode connected, but cannot locate one that has a large enough flange for the existing hole. Worst that can happen is a wasted $40. Thanks for the heads-up in any case.

I really need to keep the anchor ready, Case in point. I nicely let my friends wife ( with significant racing experience) pilot the boat off the mooring. She promptly ran over the dingy line that wrapped around the prop. Engine stalled, off the mooring, me in the water with a knife. Fortunately there was someone on a close by boat who threw me a line before I drifted into someone. I do not want to have no back up plan ever again.

Dang! What a learning experience. Good on ya for not getting flummoxed by it. Yes, it is a good idea to always have your anchor ready to go.

Ann
Old 15-08-2016, 19:25   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

You want a Spartan Marine chain deck cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	129650  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 20:50   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

and then make a custom split silicone bung (to fit your chain and the deck pipe precisely) ...
Old 15-08-2016, 21:48   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post

It's wise to always keep an anchor ready. Though the flipside to this wisdom, is to think that you'll always keep your foredeck dry. Beat to weather in 20kts & the right seas, & the bow will porpise. It's physics, & can't be opposed or wished away. And at some point you will be out in such conditions.

For your hawsepipe quest, here are a few thoughts:
Find one which you like. Cut a piece of Aluminum or G10 plate to size to use as a flange. Bolt cap to the plate. Bolt entire unit onto deck.

Or, weld up a custom sized & designed one to whatever size flange you desire. And it needn't be stainless, plenty of other metals would work. You could even cobble one together from some Brass or Bronze fittings & plate, if you find the right fittings.

BTW, ensure it's opening is large enough to allow passage of a Big shackle to thimble connection.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 21:52   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

When I put mine in I wanted something to protect the deck pipe from the chain flopping out of there. Then at the hardware store I was looking at the plastic closet flange for toilets... 3 inch... Fits inside my deck pipe... Upside down and... Hey don't laugh it works great! Whole thing and backing plate is through-bolted... Like uncivilized says. It may get slammed if the chain is running out and suddenly gets hit by a shackle if you have one in there somewhere.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 09:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's wise to always keep an anchor ready. Though the flipside to this wisdom, is to think that you'll always keep your foredeck dry. Beat to weather in 20kts & the right seas, & the bow will porpise. It's physics, & can't be opposed or wished away. And at some point you will be out in such conditions.

For your hawsepipe quest, here are a few thoughts:
Find one which you like. Cut a piece of Aluminum or G10 plate to size to use as a flange. Bolt cap to the plate. Bolt entire unit onto deck.

Or, weld up a custom sized & designed one to whatever size flange you desire. And it needn't be stainless, plenty of other metals would work. You could even cobble one together from some Brass or Bronze fittings & plate, if you find the right fittings.

BTW, ensure it's opening is large enough to allow passage of a Big shackle to thimble connection.
Great idea. When I haul out at the end of the season I will likely do that. In the meantime my $40 quickie solution will at least get me through the fall.
Old 16-08-2016, 09:42   #14

There are many good hawse pipes that allow for your rode to stay attached. The Spartan or similar is good. Just get one. I'm surprised yours doesn't allow it...? These just have a notch in the pipe to allow the rode to go thru. Can you just drill and grind one into your existing pipe?

See the pic here previously provided: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROPE...c=1&rmvSB=true

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 12:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There are many good hawse pipes that allow for your rode to stay attached. The Spartan or similar is good. Just get one. I'm surprised yours doesn't allow it...? These just have a notch in the pipe to allow the rode to go thru. Can you just drill and grind one into your existing pipe?

See the pic here previously provided: Vintage Rope Deck Pipe Bronze Anchor Hawse with Lid | eBay
Problem is that I cannot locate an existing pipe that will cover the hole in the deck, just all a bit too small.

Tags
deck