Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2006, 22:46   #1

Boat: H28
Daytime anchor ball

I have just finished building a new, very bright anchor light because I want to be seen, and got to thinking that nobody I know uses a black anchor ball for daytime anchoring. In fact I don't even have such a thing on board. The question arises as to how you would fare legally in the event of a collision whilst at anchor during daylight and not showing the proper signal. "Not my fault, Your Honor, I didn't know he was at anchor...."
As well, knowing the reluctance of insurance conpanies to part with their (our) money, I can imagine that being hit by another boat whilst at anchor and not displaying a black ball would be a good excuse to withold payment.
Any opinions regarding this?

Chris
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 22:52   #2
Kai Nui

Allot of variables there. One of which is the anchorage. If you are anchored in a designated anchorage vs. anchored in a cove somewhere, the requirements to carry an anchor shape or light are different. If you were anchored in a place that was not designated as an anchorage, and were not carrying a day shape, it is possible that you would be assigned some liability.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:23   #3

Boat: H28
Wink

A 'designated anchorage' is I think something specific to your part of the world. Down here, we have registered mooring areas for permanent swing moorings but all anchorages (for private vessels) are uncontrolled and therefore subject to the normal international regulations.
Nobody, but nobody uses an anchor ball, and there are even a few hardy souls who go to anchor at night time without an anchor light. Since we are setting up for full time coastal cruising this means swinging off the pick instead of snuggled up in a marina so anchoring legally becomes a matter of concern.
I think I'm going to become NZ's first anchor ball owner/user.

Chris
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 02:55   #4
pilgrim

Hello Mate, have a look at Jackiepitts' post in " Sailors Confessional," last sentence,third paragraph.. You get yourself an anchor ball and rig it because it helps other folk entering the anchorage, perhaps after a long tough voyage, see that you are in fact at anchor and not under weigh. In some Mediterranean countries ( and Portugal ) Maritime police will board and fine you for not displaying anchor lights/balls. Not showing a light at night..hardy souls..not sure about that description mate!! An unlit vessel against a dark shoreline seen from seaward is a real hazard and they're hard to spot against shore lights as well. Only takes 30 seconds to rig an anchor ball and helps other cruising folk see what you are about. Good luck. Pilgrim.
Old 15-10-2006, 06:50   #5
cruiser

I've noticed a lot of the Europeans that visit the US do indeed properly use anchor balls, which leads me to believe (as pilgrim says) it's more enforced over there.

I have seen maybe one boat in US waters (other than EU flagged vessels) flying an anchor ball.

It's something I have wondered about as well... what if there were a collision? Would the non-anchor ball flying boat be at fault? It's quite interesting, since the Nav Rules say one thing, but the practice is quite different.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 10:36   #6

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
And while we're at it... I suppose we should also buy and display the correct day shape while motoring under sail, too.

K
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 11:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters
And while we're at it... I suppose we should also buy and display the correct day shape while motoring under sail, too.

K
I've seen a few boats with the anchor ball displayed. But, I've NEVER seen an inverted (point down) conical day shape displayed. Can you imagine the chaos if the CG or Harbor Patrol tried to enforce that??!!?? While it is only for boats over 12 meters (inland only) the shear number of boats entering and leaving a harbor in a single day would keep 10x the number of current harbor/CG personnel busy issuing citations.

While some of us use the iron genaker sparingly (I typically kill the engine as soon as I have the main up and sail in and out of the harbor), most powersail in and out of the harbor - and too often, powersail everywhere.

To my knowledge, I've never heard of anyone getting a citation for this. Anyone else???
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 12:29   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Hi Everyone
its been a wile since i posted ,hope you all are well ! ive been cruising the last few months-this summer until now I came down from La Rochelle, France thru Spain, Portgual, and Spain again and am in Ibza- have only stayed in a a Marina twice, taking the dik in from Anchor. I think about 85% or more boats I have seen at anchor are NOT using the ball. I am using it , and I mentioned it to a few natives and they did not know what it was?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 14:30   #9
pilgrim

Hello Ram, had a good summer? If when you leave Ibiza in the Mediterranean you should happen to pass by the Canary Islands, would you kindly call in and have a word with the German bloke a couple of berths along from mine who keeps bleating about being fined while anchored up the river near Faro, Portugal, please?
A) Not showing an anchor ball
B) ( you will like this folks!! ) vessel not wearing his national ensign, he had the EEC thing, a circle of stars up in it's place.
After a two and a half year cruise in the Mediterranean, the only vessels I heard of being boarded were " Foreign" flag ( Pay up or you're not leaving) never a locally owned vessel. However, this is like all officialdom, you can cruise for months without being bothered then suddenly they are all over you like a rash!! Good for you, keep hoisting the anchor ball and save your Euros.. Regards Pilgrim
Old 15-10-2006, 22:04   #10

Quote:
I have just finished building a new, very bright anchor light because I want to be seen, and got to thinking that nobody I know uses a black anchor ball for daytime anchoring. In fact I don't even have such a thing on board.
I have one. It is two flat plastic disks that fit together at right angles. I keep it in the anchor locker and hang it from the spinaker halyard when anchored. I use it all the time.

Quote:
The question arises as to how you would fare legally in the event of a collision whilst at anchor during daylight and not showing the proper signal. "Not my fault, Your Honor, I didn't know he was at anchor...."
The moving boat would still be largely at fault. You aren't supposed to run in to another boat under any circumstances, even if they are not following the rules. Your only excuse is that you did your best, but were forced into a situation where it was not possible to avoid a collision.
Old 16-10-2006, 05:49   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Have to say never once used either anchor ball or motoring cone over 20 years in Oz, but one does see a lot more use over this side in the EU.

If I had to make an assessment, Holland and UK seem to contain a higher percentage of yachts that use both - IMHO maybe as high as 10% of those out on the water. It is rare to see either in Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Turkey.

And I can't ever recall any news on anyone being cited for an 'offense' either.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 16-10-2006, 09:16   #12

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
great question

I have always wondered about those day markers. I am not sure who even SELLS them....

But still, it's a great question!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 09:37   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exranger
I have always wondered about those day markers. I am not sure who even SELLS them....

But still, it's a great question!
In Europe every chandlers have them for sale.
JOHN
Old 16-10-2006, 09:59   #14

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
And in the US?

and in the US?
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 12:13   #15

Google not working over there today?

Try Westmarine.com and search for anchorball.
Cheers
JOHN

Tags
anchor