Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 07:17   #1

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS
CM (Columbus McKinnon) G43 Chain Verification

I am hoping someone who has CM G43 chain on their boat can tell me how it is marked.

A store near me in Ensenada, Mexico is selling a barrel of CM 5/16" G43 anchor windlass chain that they claim has been sitting in the distributor's warehouse for four years since the days when CM stilled manufactured the chain. At the time CM discontinued production, the distributor apparently bought 30,000 feet of this chain and has been unloading it since then. The market in Mexico is primarily commercial fishing and not recreational boating, so this chain has not been a hot seller as it gets used for fishing nets.

The barrel has a shipping label from CM and we rolled about a foot or two of the chain around our gypsy and it seemed to fit just fine. However there are no markings on the chain that we can find. The folks at CM so far have simply told me that they no longer manufacture windlass chain. So far, they have not given me any information about the anchor chain that they used to manufacture.

By comparison, the spec sheet for the industrial 5/16 G43 chain that CM does currently manufacture indicates that it is "permanently stamped" and the photo looks like perhaps the stamp says "G43." This chain meets ASTM and NACM standards but is not ISO short link (the links are 1.1 inches long rather than 1.03 inches long), and it is stamped "G43" on each link.

If anyone knows how the old CM anchor chain was marked I'd appreciate the feedback.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
National Association of Chain Manufactuirers (NACM) “Welded Steel Chain Specifications”
Goto ➥ http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

5/16" & 3/8" chains should be embossed (“4, 43, or 430") at least every foot. Larger sizes at lewast every 3 feet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 08:50   #3

Thank you, Gord. The industrial chain that CM currently sells is NACM compliant, and the photo on their spec sheet appears to have the required embossed markings.

Do you (or anyone) know if the anchor chain that CM used to sell 4 years ago was manufactured to NACM specs?
Old 15-04-2010, 10:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
... Do you (or anyone) know if the anchor chain that CM used to sell 4 years ago was manufactured to NACM specs?
Yes it was.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 10:57   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
We have CM chain hoists but the chain is heat treated and is marked every 10" with an H-.
Old 18-04-2010, 07:58   #6

Thank you both. We checked the chain and there are truly no markings on it anywhere, so it must not be from CM and it must not NACM compliant.
Old 16-02-2012, 16:14   #7

Re: CM (Columbus McKinnon) G43 Chain Verification

Sorry to keep an old forum going. I recently came across a seller of cm g43 chain in Hawaii. It is stamped with their labeling but is also stamped "mexico". Any opinions on if I should get it or not?
keao is offline   Reply With Quote