Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 13:48   #61

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Choosing an undersized Rocna Vulcan or correct sized Delta anchor according to gu

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
This is not the ideal solution, but perhaps a work-around. Consider two anchors, one mounted on your bowsprit for short-term, low-risk anchoring ….

I agree this is not the ideal solution. This is so important I want to speak up.

My personal choice is to always anchor as if a squall or storm is on its way. I never set any anchor other than my primary anchor.

If I ever use a "lunch hook", I know I will be asked to take someone ashore "just for 5 minutes" and end up worrying about my vessel for a few hours; maybe on the other side of the island! For me, it's not worth it.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 01:29   #62

Re: Choosing an undersized Rocna Vulcan or correct sized Delta anchor according to gu

Just ordered a Spade S100 anchor. This will be "slightly" oversized.

Once I get the anchor I will figure out if I will replace the platform with a platform that handles a 20kg anchor plus a custom chain lead from the plattform to the windlass. Or if I remove the platform and just have a custom built bow roller that fits the bow and also leads the chain past the forestay and furler. I will be able to get access to the same model of boat with plattforms and custom bow rollers to do some fitting.

A bridle/snubber to the cleats is something that I will always use regardless of choice between plattform plus chain lead and just a bow roller.
jonase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 05:41   #63

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartWeibel View Post

..... a Rocna Vulcan, ...... It was too much anchor for my boat, and getting it out of the really good-holding mud.....

To get it out of such a ground my ROCNA (not the Volcan) has a hole to which I can attach a shackle and a rope. Pulling at this rope I the pull-out angle changes and it is rather easy to get the anchor up. Also helpful when the anchor sticks between rocks.

Up to 10m water depth I just drop the anchor as it is. When it goes beyond 10m I first attach the shackle and a rope.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 13:19   #64

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42e

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Stuart, this is a very common problem. It is commonly experienced by people transitioning from older generation anchors.

New generation anchors require some time to break out at 1:1 scope. From the boat this can be confusing. When applying even considerable force at a 1:1 scope nothing seems to happening. The temptation is to apply more force to free an anchor that seems stuck.

In reality, if you can look underwater, at a 1:1 scope the anchor shank is gradually rising. With some patience the anchor will break out. A steady force over time is the key rather than a very high force.

Please try your anchor again. Once is not enough. With an adjustment of technique you will find the anchor can be broken out without excessive force.
Agree. We anchor a lot with our spade in hard clay that really has a tendency to hold anchors. The trick is to take in to 1:1 and then enjoy the view for a min or so (if very set we take morning coffee while wait) and after that it just comes loss. Never force it up with the windlass.
Mr.Feeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 13:31   #65

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Feeney View Post
Agree. We anchor a lot with our spade in hard clay that really has a tendency to hold anchors. The trick is to take in to 1:1 and then enjoy the view for a min or so (if very set we take morning coffee while wait) and after that it just comes loss. Never force it up with the windlass.
Our 33kg Vulcan often takes some "wiggling" to get it to break out, especially in sticky clay bottoms. Normally the simple act of the bow bobbing up and down on the waves is enough to free it but sometimes we do have to "drive" over and pull her backwards. But I never try to drag it up with the windlass alone as that is just asking for the motor to burn out.

Knowing my anchor will hang on even at 1:1 scope is somewhat of a comfort to be honest although having to clean the gloop off the top of the shank is a bit of a pain but at least I know it was well dug in.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 14:20   #66

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Drifting can be fun.

Depending on what we have brought on board and into which cooler the favored beverage is placed, we change our identification of which side of the vessel we are referring to. Somedays, there is the Chardonnay or Cabernet sides. Other days, Whiskey or Tequila, and then on occasion, Ruby Port or Tawney Port. Real confusion begins when we have the debate as to designating Lite Beer or Manly Beer.

Why would you ever stock ruby port when tawny port exists???

Tags
anchor, delta, rocna, size