Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 23:30   #1

Chain on Smooth drum

I'm looking at a cavalier 39 of 1975 vintage... One thing that has me thinking is the windlass. It's a smooth vertical drum. (No chain gypsy) The rode is 100ft of stainless 10mm chain with more rope spliced on the end.
Will the smooth drum raise the chain?
The drum looks a bit pitted which leads me to think that this is the case. .. is this an issue I need to sort out or is it perfectly fine?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 23:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Chain on Smooth drum

I have never tried wrapping chain around a capstan nor would I. At best it will work poorly and be prone to slipping, at worst you could do real damage to yourself or the equipment.

Depending on what is installed you may be able to replace the drum, but more likely you would need to install a combined chain/rope windlass. Figure about $1,000 for a new unit.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 00:25   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It may not be yottie PC, but it will work. We've had friends who did that very procedure every time they weighed anchor. Two or three wraps of chain around the drum and a bit of tailing force keeps the slippage down to zip. Consider that roustabouts on oil rigs use this method to twist pipe sections together/apart hundreds of times daily... 'course, a few limbs are lost now and then...

wouldn't be my first choice, but with some practice you'll get the hang of it. If it is in th budget, a proper gypsy replacement would be better, as Stumble says.

Jim
Old 08-05-2016, 00:34   #4

Thanks Jim. The couple who own the yacht are in their 80s so I don't see them manually hauling up 100 ft of 10mm chain... guess it must work for them.

Old 08-05-2016, 00:48   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you do buy the boat, it might be a good idea to let the POs show you how they actually work the system. Sometimes us old farts have good practices worked out that are not intuitive!

Jim
Old 08-05-2016, 01:47   #6

Yes thanks Jim. Exactly what I was thinking. If it works for them I'm sure I can make it work for me...They have owned the boat 30yrs so plenty of tricks up their sleeves. ☺

Old 08-05-2016, 02:06   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yeah, we used to do this as a kid on my grandfathers yacht. Worked, but was a bit brutal on the chain and the warping drum. In the old days they used wooden horizontal windlasses that pretty much self tailed with a few turns on them.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

A l-o-n-g time ago, I home made a windlass for our old boat out of an old winch by wrapping a length of heavy leather obtained from a saddle-maker's shop around the drum. I soaked the leather in warm water for some while to soften it and laced the end edges together with waxed leather thongs passed through pre-punched holes, crossed as one does with shoe laces. The leather shrinks as it dries and grips the barrel very firmly. Saddle soap/wax kept the leather and lacing in good shape and gave the material enough flex to allow the chain to "grip" the barrel without damaging it or the chain.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:30   #9

If you do decide to run the chain through the drum, be careful of overrides. Easy to do without a gypsy. And a chain override can be nigh impossible to undo with some chains. If your using BBB chain, doubt if the windlass will be much good unless you apply a lot of your own power to raising the anchor.

Just replace the drum with a gypsy drum and be done with the issue.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:36   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

My 2 cents - sounds like a dangerous setup. An override or runaway chain can have very bad consequences.

If you shop you can replace the setup for under $k and your boat (and fingers) are worth more than that.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:36   #11

What brand and model is the windlass? What size is the rope rode?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:11   #12

@ svHyLyte

Don't I vaguely remember that it stretches when it gets wet?
It's been a long time...

I'd probably fix it like a redneck - 1/8" holes through the leather into the drum & some lovely pop rivets.

Or heat the drum with a blowlamp and wrap it with synthetic rope
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:00   #13

I did it for years on a 44 foot boat. It is not the best method. A new windlass would be better, but if you cant afford a new windlass you can do it. I had a couple of hundred feet of 7/8 multiplait nylon with a rope to chain splice to 60 foot of 3/8 chain. You handle the chain the same way you do the rope part, but much more carefully. You need to practice in shallow water and learn the proper angle to tail the line or chain. The angle and tension are critical for easy use. This is not something you want to be learning in a 40 foot deep anchorage and 20 knots of wind. I got very used to doing it, and never had a problem except the first few times. The placement of the foot switch is important so that you can operate it while comfortably tailing the line or chain. When you price out 200 foot of new chain, a new windlass plus replacing wiring and maybe shipping it to your location, the capstan method doesnt look so bad after all. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:11   #14

The drum will help raise the chain. But I wouldn't use it that way. Also, tailing a vertical drum is a PITA, you will be on your knees.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:08   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It was a very common practice before the invention of combination gypsy.
It damages the drum a little as you've already observed. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the boat if that is the only thing wrong with it. When you finally replace the windlass, get one with a combination gypsy.

Tags
rum