Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 20:53   #1

Boat: Cavalier 32
Cavalier 32 windlass/anchor winch?

My old back requires help in getting up the anchor.
I need recommendations of both which brand to get and where it should be sited.
I would prefer (I think) an above deck model as I assume it means less holes in the deck.
Cost is a large consideration but I realise if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Moored in Sydney
ashontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 21:13   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Cavalier 32 windlass/anchor winch?

Lewmar or Muir are the top end choices. There's some other cheapies to choose from, too. I don't think the holes are a great deal different from an above deck (horizontal) to a below deck (vertical) windless. What is different is that the direction of pull changes between horizontal and vertical winches, benefits of which you can Google. This also tends to dictate mounting position, as well. The installation issue with the vertical winch is it needs more height under the deck for the chain to fall than an equivalent horizontal, so if the height of your anchor locker is shallow then the horizontal may be the best choice - check the winch installation specifications for more info. You need a winch of somewhere between 600 and 800 watts power at a guess. As for price, keep an eye on used stuff floating around. There is some junk, but there's also the occasional bargain.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 21:37   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Lewmar or Muir are the top end choices.
I would substitute Maxwell for Lewmar as top choices. We've had quite a few griping threads about Lewmar windlasses and their products in general of late.

They are all "above deck" designs unless your boat has an "anchor locker" which has a big deck hatch near the bow. You might describe to us the arrangement of the available space near the bow on your boat. As mentioned above, vertical axis models (which I generally prefer) do require more drop to the top of the chain pile than horizontal models.

Which reminds me: are you using all chain or a mixed rode? Makes a difference in what model gypsies will suit you.

So, more info, please!

Jim
Old 22-01-2019, 22:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I would substitute Maxwell for Lewmar as top choices. We've had quite a few griping threads about Lewmar windlasses and their products in general of late.

They are all "above deck" designs unless your boat has an "anchor locker" which has a big deck hatch near the bow. You might describe to us the arrangement of the available space near the bow on your boat. As mentioned above, vertical axis models (which I generally prefer) do require more drop to the top of the chain pile than horizontal models.

Which reminds me: are you using all chain or a mixed rode? Makes a difference in what model gypsies will suit you.

So, more info, please!

Jim

Ah Yes, senility kicking in. I did indeed mean Maxwell, as opposed to Lewmar.
Old 23-01-2019, 09:21   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:

So, more info, please!

Jim
I second that. Maxwell is far superior to Lewmar as far as a windlass is concerned.

Until Lewmar moves away from their sealed, unserviceable gear assembly I would stay away.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 10:51   #6

Like most of us you probably use part chain, part nylon for the rode. Not yet mentioned is the "problem" of the chain-to-rope splice. In TrentePieds (Lewmar vertical capstan) the Spurling pipe, the "hole in the deck" that takes the rode from the deck down into the chain locker, is too small to permit unassisted passage of the splice.

The solution to this "problem" is obviously to fit a bigger capstan with a spurling pipe of bigger diameter. But expense must be a part of any such decision, and IMO, for the kind of cruising I do, the cost/benefit ratio does not come out in favour of a refit.

I simply motor up to the anchor location dead slow, hauling in the rode hand over hand and drop it on deck as it comes aboard. If necessary I sluice it down with a bucket once it's all aboard. I'll admit that when the rode is "up'n'down" and the weight of hook and chain has to be brought in by muscular effort, I do, now, feel my advancing years, but how else would a geezer my age get such physical exercise without paying a gym subscription :-)?

One the rode is on deck, all the capstan has to do is transport the rode, with no strain on it, into the locker. The "clam plates" do that just fine. When the splice gets to the spurling pipe, and the capstan begins to play silly-buggers, I stop the capstan, feed (jiggle) the slice through the spurling, then start up again and let the gypsy feed the chain into the locker.

As I said: "for the kind of cruising I do". Being so dismissive of modcons is not everybody's cuppa tea. But for me, the fewer labour saving devices I have aboard, the greater the enjoyment and contentment :-)!

If you are buying new, the incremental expense of a bigger spurling pipe, which brings a more powerful capstan/windlass with it, may be worthwhile.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 16:10   #7

Quote:

So, more info, please!

Jim

I should be able to get aboard and take some photos of both foredeck and anchor locker tomorrow - stay tuned
Old 23-01-2019, 17:14   #8

In my case I found the Lewmar Pro 1000 (horizontal) to be a good buy. Installed myself and took about 2days. Winch is powered buy the house batteries when engine is running. The total cost was about $1500 CDN which includes a corded Lewmar handheld remote up down control unit. The Lewmar came with the breaker, solenoid contactor, and up/down rocker switch, so keep in mind that with some winches these may be extra purchases. This unit can use a combination of 5/16"G4 chain and 5/8" eight plait rope. I have 50' chain and 250' rode and works perfect when used properly.
GeoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 20:24   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

I have an S&S34 moored Lake Macquarie similar cav32

I have a Muir vrc1250 as I have both chain and rope

I also have updown buttons at both cockpit and anchor well - great when single handed

I carry a spare solenoid switch

Also I requested Muir brookvale amend the winch and sell me a specific handle so I can raise raise the anchor manually if electric motor dies or I have battery failure

Get the best quality anchor winch you can afford as pulling it manually you may compromise your anchoring safety when tired, windy raining etc and you dont have a good solid bite first time.

Hope this helps
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 21:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinalleck View Post
I have an S&S34 moored Lake Macquarie similar cav32

I have a Muir vrc1250 as I have both chain and rope

I also have updown buttons at both cockpit and anchor well - great when single handed

I carry a spare solenoid switch

Also I requested Muir brookvale amend the winch and sell me a specific handle so I can raise raise the anchor manually if electric motor dies or I have battery failure

Get the best quality anchor winch you can afford as pulling it manually you may compromise your anchoring safety when tired, windy raining etc and you dont have a good solid bite first time.

Hope this helps

The 1250 is a big winch for a 32 footer. The VRC 850 would probably be the better size for the job. It's pretty much the same winch fitted with the smaller motor.
Old 27-01-2019, 12:37   #11

Appreciate your suggestion however I have experienced times when single handed and needed to weigh anchor in adverse conditions

The larger motor ensures a good nights sleep and ability to weigh anchor when wind was over 25 kts and current was 2 knots

1 knot current = 10kts of wind
2 kts = 20kts etc etc

When cruising I also change up from my 35lb anchor to the 45 lb
Old 27-01-2019, 15:33   #12

I understand. Truth be known, my 33 footer has the Muir vrc1250 installed, too, but the OP just wants to save his back on a budget. The 850 would be a fine choice and is within spec for a cav 32.
Old 28-01-2019, 18:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashontheroad View Post
I should be able to get aboard and take some photos of both foredeck and anchor locker tomorrow - stay tuned

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	184678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3497.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	184679

Here are a couple of photos.

My mooring line usually comes to the aft cleat, it's cleared for access to the anchor locker. I've seen photos of Cav 32's with windlass forward of the anchor locker, on the locker and aft of the locker.
As you can see there's not much drop into the well.
I've only just put rope onto 10 m of chain, it was all chain rode before and impossible to lift, at least for me.
Going back to all chain, with a windlass, would mean the weight of the chain could help the drop where I fear rope won't fall as well??

I'm no world cruiser, I tend to stick around the Sydney and NSW coast.
The hook is mostly for when I can't pick up a public mooring for lunch or an o/night

Thanks for the info so far fellow yachting tragics

Ash
Old 28-01-2019, 23:09   #14

On my s&s34 I’ve offset the winch to leave the deck cleat in original position hope to send photo tomorrow when onboard

If you make it to Lake Macquarie let me know

Col
Old 29-01-2019, 00:20   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBay View Post
In my case I found the Lewmar Pro 1000 (horizontal) to be a good buy. Installed myself and took about 2days. Winch is powered buy the house batteries when engine is running. The total cost was about $1500 CDN which includes a corded Lewmar handheld remote up down control unit. The Lewmar came with the breaker, solenoid contactor, and up/down rocker switch, so keep in mind that with some winches these may be extra purchases. This unit can use a combination of 5/16"G4 chain and 5/8" eight plait rope. I have 50' chain and 250' rode and works perfect when used properly.

I also have a Lewmar Pro 1000. Be aware, very aware, that the seal between the two halves of the windlass is very minimal. The mating surfaces are 1/8" at best, with little caulking and no gasket to prevent water from leaking in. Mine slowly leaked water into the windlass, mostly from the 4 months of rain annually in the Pacific NW, and rusted out the bottom of the motor inside. I had it for less than 5 years, and without any warning, it stopped working. I took it apart, and that's how I discovered the motor was rusted and done. Since I didn't have a receipt from when I bought it, I had no way of proving it was under warranty or not. After a few calls and numerous emails with Lewmar, as well as threatening to complain on every boating forum I belong to, we agreed that if they sent me a new motor, I fix it myself, and walk away. I put in the new motor they sent, BUT before I assembled the windlass, I made a gasket for between the two pieces, AND after it was assembled I sealed the joint on the outside with caulk. I also sewed a windlass cover out of Top Gun fabric, that I put on during the rainy months. Been problem free for two years now. Google Lewmar 700 and 1000 series windlass, and you'll get all kinds of info on this problem. I probably wouldn't buy another one.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, winch, wind, windlass