Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 07:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Catamaran Med Mooring and passerelle

We are Americans who just arrived in the Med on a catamaran and are getting used to this whole Med mooring thing. We have a Lagoon 380 with davits, our dinghy, and solar panels on the stern between our two sugar scoop hulls. This makes going stern-to very challenging as our solar panels and dinghy end up dangerously close to the quay and our low sugar scoop transoms make it difficult to get ashore. We have started going bow-to and are fine with that.

All of that being said, we are in the market for a passerelle or gangplank. I'm looking at several options including using a bracket on a forward stanchion rather than drill a hole in the bow to accommodate the pivot point for the passerelle.

Does anyone out there have any pictures or advice on what you are doing with your catamaran for a passerelle/gangplank? Hoping to find options under 500

Thanks in advance,
Zoid

Would love to see other ideas and know what is working well for everyone
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 12:52   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Catamaran Med Mooring and passerelle

Zoid,
I really regret how I went about making my passerelle. I used a motorcycle ramp, and a pretty big and heavy one at that. It's nice because it extends 10' and it 15" wide, but the weight is too much and I don't have railings. If I did it again I'd spend the boat bucks and get a pre-made one. They are somewhat easy to find. I spent about $750 US for the ramp by the time I had the sockets made and star-board steps put into it. For about 1000 euro you can buy one. I don't want to do the ladder as it's too large and a folding ladder isn't strong enough.

You really need two socket locations, one bow and one stern. It isn't effective to go bow to if there aren't lazy lines. In the Western Med you almost always have them and in the Eastern Med you don't. If you don't, then your dropping your anchor and going stern to. If you put the socket right at the bottom of your scoop it will allow you to stay off the quay.

This year I am adding a third socket which will allow me to adjust the distance off the quay better stern to. One is on the first step down and the second at the very edge of the scoop. I also have one right on the tip of my port bow. The only down side is they fill up with water and then get some debris in them. I just use a water glass cleaner brush to get it out every once in a while.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos
Old 24-03-2014, 06:20   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

Great information, thanks for the input. Quick question, how long is your passerelle. I know length isn't everything, but we're hoping that a 210cm one we found will suffice. From the stern we will definitely need to install a hole towards the end of the sugar scoop.
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:26   #4

It's 10' long. Unfortunatly my first socket was put in on the first step down the scoop so it takes over 4' of distance before you hit the end of the boat. Then you need about 2' on the quay so it doesn't allow much separation. I'm going to install a third socket at the bottom of the scoop.

I also just bought 4 of these for stern fenders. I can use them for bow in also.
Attached Images

Old 24-03-2014, 10:02   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

from my experience, Ive never seen a good bow passarelle, that didn't involve major surgery to the handrails ( mind you i'm mono based ). Also often the bow is too high to have a reasonable angle on some of the lower med docks, especially floating or low pontoons.

There are some nice but expensive 2m carbon fibre passarelles about.

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 11:01   #6

Lagoon4us had the best set-up which was a regular hydraulic passerelle. If I was going to spend another 4 years in the Med, I'd invest in one. But I'm already two years in and can't justify the expense now.

Here is a picture of my bow socket. It works great and the angle isn't bad due to the length of the gangway. The only downer is how far you have to walk without a handrail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0440.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	78038  
Old 24-03-2014, 11:06   #7
Nearly an old salt

sheesh , SWIMBOs never going onto your boat!!!.

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 14:29   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Zold,
I sail a 47' monohull...not a cat...but I do have the "walk-thru / sugar scoop stern", and have pictures of what I used very successfully...total cost was about $250 USD, and takes me < 5 minutes to set-up from stowed location and/or secure in stowed location for offshore sailing....I used one-half of a "16' fiberglass extension ladder" with an 8' length of 12" wide non-skid 3/8" thick Kings Starboard screwed to one side....
Giving me a nice 8' long (2.4m) by 14" wide (.35m) heavy-duty, but light-in-weight, paserelle....with a non-skid ramp/plank-type paserelle on one side, and a "ladder-type" pasarelle on the other side...allowing me to use the "plank" when on a more level attitude, or use the "ladder" when needing a steeper incline, etc...
It is light, but very sturdy and durable....
And, the bright yellow "GRP", does make me stand out from the crowd!!!

And, the toping-lift and the "rope railings", give you plenty to hold onto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
We are Americans who just arrived in the Med on a catamaran and are getting used to this whole Med mooring thing.
All of that being said, we are in the market for a passerelle or gangplank. I'm looking at several options including using a bracket on a forward stanchion rather than drill a hole in the bow to accommodate the pivot point for the passerelle.

Does anyone out there have any pictures or advice on what you are doing with your catamaran for a passerelle/gangplank? Hoping to find options under 500
Please have a look here...
Annie Laurie Translant

(forgive the photos....they were taken, before I adjusted the toping-lift for the lowered tide....and I took them with a $8 disposable camera...)

And, here in its stowed position....

And, here is my 220vac-to-120vac transformer set-up....

If you don't wish to permanently install a pintel / pasarrelle swivel and socket (which I found difficult to retrofit on my boat without interfering with other systems or costing 1000's of dollars), a temporary swivel, or using an alternative to a swivel / pintel is very do-able!!!

There are other pictures/ideas around the internet that may be of help....
Here are some complied by Jack Tyler about 10 years ago...
Med Mooring

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 15:14   #9
Nearly an old salt

$100,000 boat and a $15 ladder , well I suppose some have their priorities !!

as an aside its worth pointing out that ladders have little strength in that orientation, The holes in the side compromise the integrity of the I beam sides.

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 16:14   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

dave,
Not sure if you're referring to me???
But the boat was $250,000 (plus some minor updates/outfitting), and the ladder was about $200....
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
$100,000 boat and a $15 ladder , well I suppose some have their priorities !!

as an aside its worth pointing out that ladders have little strength in that orientation, The holes in the side compromise the integrity of the I beam sides.
Yes, the round "holes" do reduce the strength of the "I-Beam", but this does NOT mean that it is "compromised", nor that they have little strength in that configuration....(many of them, are even spec'd to be used as "horizontals" on scaffolding....)
(usually I think you're a knowledgeable guy, but I really think you're WAY off base here...)
And, the ones like mine (the yellow GRP) are sold in lengths up to 60' long for 2-section ladders (and up to 72', in 3-section ladders) and still rated to 375lbs, plus equipment....
My 6' 5" tall, 320+lb brother stood in the middle of my paserelle and it doesn't flex/bend at all...

Since you haven't seen my paserelle, nor have an understanding of how it was built / what is built from, nor how structurally sound it is, perhaps you shouldn't comment on it???

Sorry Dave....but I don't think you're aware of how heavy-duty these particular ladders are....(perhaps you're thinking of some inferior ladders used/sold in the UK???)
The ones I'm referring to (and used) are a far cry from some of the junk I've seen out there, and stronger than 99% of the paserelles I've seen out there!!!

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You see what some people will pay for a ladder (and a catalina)
Old 24-03-2014, 16:46   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
perhaps you're thinking of some inferior ladders used/sold in the UK???)
I stand corrected, a 6 foot ladder at $200 is a serious piece of work, and yes I was thinking of the cheap crap I buy in B&Q.

Ladders are not my forte it would seem.

having said that , when I was in france the first time, I bought a cheap two step stepladder, would leave it on the dock going out, and put in on the transom, and tied it on when I came back in , SWMBO was a bit put out but adapted !. No one ever nicked it from the dock !!!

dave
Old 24-03-2014, 17:30   #13

John,
Why do you have the starboard facing down?

I think the ladders are ok but I don't have anywhere that an 8' ladder can be stored below decks and refuse to carry one above.

Zoid,
Another problem you will have is how to keep the passerelle off the quay. On mono's it's fairly easy as you can use the topping lift or a rope run off it. On cat's the support guys are off center. I still haven't come up with a good solution, especially bows to.
Old 24-03-2014, 17:33   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
John,
Why do you have the starboard facing down?

I think the ladders are ok but I don't have anywhere that an 8' ladder can be stored below decks and refuse to carry one above.

Zoid,
Another problem you will have is how to keep the passerelle off the quay. On mono's it's fairly easy as you can use the topping lift or a rope run off it. On cat's the support guys are off center. I still haven't come up with a good solution, especially bows to.

Wheels are useful

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-03-2014, 17:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Wheels are useful

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Of course. But they do make a lot of noise almost all the time. We now put carpet down under the wheels which helps.

Tags
catamaran, mooring