Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 09:30   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Can someone please help and let me know if my windlass controller is acting properly?

Bahamas, with a dead windlass and was hoping we could get some help and advice. We have a lofrans Progress II and an Imtra controller SPA-10700.

The windlass doesn't respond at all. The up/down switches seem to be working and when pushed we can here an audible click within the Imtra controller. We also have voltage at the windlass terminal posts when a button is pushed. I would suppose this would indicate an issue with the windlass itself, except for one thing I'm noticing with the controller- but not knowing exactly how the controller works makes me wonder if its normal. What we see us that when I measure voltage between the center post of the controller and one of the side posts, I get voltage (12.1 V) when either the up OR the down switch is pushed. I would have expected voltage only when one of the switches was engaged (meaning one switch controls one post and one switch controls the other)- but again, this may be normal operation. If I take voltage from center to the other post I see the same voltage when engaging either the up and down swiches, but this voltage is negative (the opposit) from the other post. Hopefully this makes sense and you can comment on whether this seems normal.

Thanks- Matt
sv Perry
Old 29-05-2013, 09:32   #2

Sorry- trying to post from my phone and the first paragraph of my post got cut off somehow. It was supposed to read:

We are currently stuck in Marsh Harbor, Bahamas, with a dead windlass and was hoping we could get some help and advice. We have a lofrans Progress II and an Imtra controller SPA-10700.

The windlass doesn't respond at all. The up/down switches seem to be working and when pushed we can here an audible click within the Imtra controller. We also have voltage at the windlass terminal posts when a button is pushed. I would suppose this would indicate an issue with the windlass itself, except for one thing I'm noticing with the controller- but not knowing exactly how the controller works makes me wonder if its normal. What we see us that when I measure voltage between the center post of the controller and one of the side posts, I get voltage (12.1 V) when either the up OR the down switch is pushed. I would have expected voltage only when one of the switches was engaged (meaning one switch controls one post and one switch controls the other)- but again, this may be normal operation. If I take voltage from center to the other post I see the same voltage when engaging either the up and down swiches, but this voltage is negative (the opposit) from the other post. Hopefully this makes sense and you can comment on whether this seems normal.
Old 29-05-2013, 10:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Can someone please help and let me know if my windlass controller is acting prope

Don't know the Lofran s windlass, but had a similar problem on my own windlass,power at the posts, solenoids doing the right thing. I stripped the motor out and found the carbon brushes stuck in the holders.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:01   #4

Thanks for the reply.

Hats off to the Lofrans people who responded within an hour to an email I sent them. Apparently seeing voltage at both terminals of the controller is normal as the voltage back feeds through the motor windings and will show up on both terminals.

So this pretty much targets the motor as the culprit. We'll see how difficult that will be to remove...

Cheers- Matt.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:10   #5

Re: Can someone please help and let me know if my windlass controller is acting prope

no manual backup?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:23   #6

There's a manual winch handle to bring it up, but no easy way (that I can figure out) to release the chain manually. I asked the lofrans guy how to do this, we'll see what he says...
Old 29-05-2013, 12:30   #7

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Two possible helpers. Go to Marsh Harbour Marina at the SE end of the harbour opposite the Moorings. Upstairs is the radio and electronics place where someone there can answer your needs. Failing that go over to the moorings and ask them to Get in touch with Mixon (electronics and air conditioning man), he can help. If no luck there go around to the boat yard on the other side of the harbour and next to Boat Harbour Marina. They keep a couple of knowledgible guys around.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:34   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

You just stick the handle in the top and unscrew, to the left and that loosens the cones and the gypsy is free to spin.. Must be a charter boat
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 16:43   #9

Cliff- So i went over to MH Marina and went up above the jib room to the place you suggested. The electronics store is gone, replaced by a chartering company, but the guy running the chartering co (Terrence), knew a guy that re-wound motors (Carl), so the motor is on its way to get looked at...

Probably not what you had in mind, but thanks for the info as it seems to be working out....

And yup, ex charter boat. The top of the windlass won't unscrew to allow the cones to loosen... Seems to be corroded in place. Will have to work on that...

Cheers- Matt.