Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 15:21   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Can anyone identify this winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I always like learning these new, and somewhat obscure, terms. You've used one that I've only heard but can't define: Warping Drum. What's it?
My understanding has always been, and what the wiki nautical explanations also seem to suggest and if you google pictures you get the following:

Warping Drum - pretty much a 'horizontal' capstan

Capstan - almost always referred to a warping drum in it's vertical position. However, in non nautical terms there are such things as 'horizontal capstan's' which are the same as warping drums. The old series 1 and 2 landrover was sold with an optional verical or horizontal capstan.

Gypsy - part for the chain/rope

Winch or Windlass = put all of these things together including the gear box etc. The terms seem to me to be synonomous.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 15:31   #32

To support my suggestion, here are two explanations I've pulled out of the Muir (my favourite) Winch/Windlass manufacturer. The third one is 'capstans' only without the gypsy.

Vertical windlass models have a main vertical shaft and horizontal gypsy, and are available in two configurations. VRC has a gypsy and independent capstan, whilst the VR has a gypsy and low profile top only.

Horizontal windlasses have the main shaft with single or dual chain gypsies and capstans driving through a single gear drive. This drive mechanism is totally enclosed in the windlass casing above deck, which is an advantage when space below deck is at a premium.

Muir capstans provide reliable and heavy duty operation for mooring and docking. Usually located on the aft deck and amidships to assist in the mooring or docking of the yacht, they can be operated by remote control or foot switches for hands free operation.
Old 06-08-2015, 15:55   #33

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. Or for warping the vessel into or out of or around in her berth. Very useful thing for boats too heavy to horse around by hand. I really miss having this.
For that application, with or without a windlass to help, a good light heaving line with monkey fist is essential for getting the job done quickly without climbing over boats or resorting to the dinghy. I've done a fair amount of that too.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
To support my suggestion, here are two explanations I've pulled out of the Muir (my favourite) Winch/Windlass manufacturer. The third one is 'capstans' only without the gypsy.

Vertical windlass models have a main vertical shaft and horizontal gypsy, and are available in two configurations. VRC has a gypsy and independent capstan, whilst the VR has a gypsy and low profile top only.

Horizontal windlasses have the main shaft with single or dual chain gypsies and capstans driving through a single gear drive. This drive mechanism is totally enclosed in the windlass casing above deck, which is an advantage when space below deck is at a premium.

Muir capstans provide reliable and heavy duty operation for mooring and docking. Usually located on the aft deck and amidships to assist in the mooring or docking of the yacht, they can be operated by remote control or foot switches for hands free operation.
All the manufacturers call anchor winches "windlasses" whether horizontal or vertical, and I do too. This is contrary to Wiki and other sources, and so not strictly correct in my opinion, but certainly widely spoken like that.

Contrary to what you've posted further back in the thread, Muir use the word "capstan" to refer to the entire machine, not just the vertical drum part of the machine. However, they seem to use "capstan" only to refer to a machine used for warping. Not for anchor winches at all; if it's an anchor winch, they call it a "vertical windlass". So this is yet another usage. But I have to say that even if it's not strictly correct, it sounds right to me and that's probably how I would use the terms myself. It's pretty hard to get away from what the manufacturers call their own products, isn't it. Lofrans use the terms exactly the same as Muir do, with "capstan" used to refer only to machines used for warping, not vertical anchor winches.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:22   #35

Quote:
All the manufacturers call anchor winches "windlasses" whether horizontal or vertical, and I do too. This is contrary to Wiki and other sources, and so not strictly correct in my opinion, but certainly widely spoken like that. and I do too.

Contrary to what you've posted further back in the thread, Muir use the word "capstan" to refer to the entire machine, not just the vertical drum part of the machine. i don't understand you claiming this. I copied verbatim two quotes from Muir which clearly shows that Muir 'do not' use the term 'capstan' to refer to the entire machine when a gypsy is attached. They do if it's just a drum on its own.

However, they seem to use "capstan" only to refer to a machine used for warping. Not for anchor winches at all; if it's an anchor winch, they call it a "vertical windlass". again, I don't understand you stating this. Again, both my examples are verbatim from Muir. A 'capstan' is clearly indicated in the brochures to refer to the drum,

So this is yet another usage. But I have to say that even if it's not strictly correct, it sounds right to me and that's probably how I would use the terms myself. It's pretty hard to get away from what the manufacturers call their own products, isn't it. Lofrans use the terms exactly the same as Muir do, with "capstan" used to refer only to machines used for warping, not vertical anchor winches.
I'm not sure why this is so confusing. I agree with you entirely that the 'whole' machine is referred to as a 'windlass' and I believe the term 'anchor winch' is synonymous, but from then I'm misunderstanding?

Do you call the 'drum' on a windlass combined with a gypsy a 'capstan'?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm not sure why this is so confusing. I agree with you entirely that the 'whole' machine is referred to as a 'windlass' and I believe the term 'anchor winch' is synonymous, but from then I'm misunderstanding?

Do you call the 'drum' on a windlass combined with a gypsy a 'capstan'?
If it's part of a windlass, I would call it a "drum" or "warping drum", as do Lofrans, Lewmar, and others.

If it is vertical and combined with a horizontal windlass, I don't think there would be anything terribly wrong in calling it a capstan, as this part of it is performing the function of a capstan. But "capstan" is not a synonym for "drum" -- it implies that there is other machinery involved.

I agree with you that "windlass" has become synonymous with "anchor winch", although this is not strictly correct.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:40   #37

Quote:
If it's part of a windlass, I would call it a "drum" or "warping drum", as do Lofrans, Lewmar, and others.

If it is vertical and combined with a horizontal windlass, I don't think there would be anything terribly wrong in calling it a capstan, as this part of it is performing the function of a capstan. But "capstan" is not a synonym for "drum" -- it implies that there is other machinery involved.

I agree with you that "windlass" has become synonymous with "anchor winch", although this is not strictly correct.
yep
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30   #38

I could be mistaken, but as far as I know, the only thing that makes a drum a drum and not say a Gypsy or a wildcat is the smooth surface allows you to surge the line, kind of like a clutch, but without a clutch.

You can leave the drum turning at the same continuous speed and apply more or fewer wraps and increase or decrease tension to cause the line to either hold and heave, or surge or surge and pay.

An example of surging that I think most of us would be familiar with is with our trimming winches. When they slip and you need to take another turn, that's surging. When you over trim and pay a sheet out without removing it from the drum, using the friction on the winch to control the operation you are surging and paying.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch