Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45   #1

Boat: Nauticat NC43 1985
California Transient Moorage Advice

As stated in our profile, we are headed around the world doing the Pacific Ocean first. We are departing Puget Sound, WA on 8/20/14 and headed to San Francisco, then LA, then San Diego to catch the Baja Ha Ha. My question is what advice can people give us for cost containing our transient moorage in SF Bay area, LA Area and SD area? Who knows that secret marina that deals with circumnavigators or the can share the secret anchorage with dinghy access to shore from SF Bay to San Diego?.......and beyond if you know of it. We would be most appreciative after reading what transient moorage for our 50' LOA vessel will cost on a daily basis in California. I would rather not re-mortgage my house to pay for a boat tied to a dock.......(#cheapo, #cheapskate, #miser, #Grinch) Sorry if this is the wrong thread category. I'm a newbie so please train me if I need it. Donn
RavensDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: California Transient Moorage Advice

FWIW, you used to be able to anchor in a little bight in the channel of the Alameda Estuary just down from Coast Guard Island. Shore is rocky but you can get ashore with an inflatable without motor or sail/motor over to one of the many shore facilities along the Estuarry. You are only a few hundred feet from the shore at this anchorage. There isn't much in the way of amenities immediately on shore but you could walk to the Oakland West Marine store. I have a Bike Friday folding bike and it got me anywhere I wanted to go in the Bay Area in conjunction with BART. My experience is a couple of years old. There was an abandoned boat that ran aground and rumblings from the local powers that be to get rid of the anchor outs when we left.

Richarson's Bay in Sausalito is a classic anchor out location. Once again some rumblings to restrict anchoring there so more recent info would be good to check out. Also anchored at the beginning of Sausalito off one of the restaurants there. Didn't stay long so don't know if there are issues for longer term stay or dinghy landing

One thing I didn't do when I was there was explore the Delta. Miles and miles of water ways where anchoring is not an issue. You could also go up the Napa river but don't know whether there are places to anchor along the anchor. Can go right up to the town of Napa though.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:57   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

There are lots of places. Off China Camp north of San Rafel is really nice but no supplies. You can spend weeks there. South of San Quentin Prison is a large open anchorage that you could spend as long as you want but no supplies either. As mentioned, Sausalito has an anchorage. Who knows how long you should stay there but the shore side activities are pretty damn good. Short term there are a several anchorages . Down town SF has a park you can anchor in. South of the ball park has some cool spots. Heck the ball park has an overnight anchorage. There are some mooring balls at Angel island too.
Shopping is the problem. You may need to suck it up and get a slip in maybe Alameda because of all the boat stores and shopping there. enjoy
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 19:49   #4

Uhm, you could get a Cruising Guide to the SF Bay Area, or Kimball Livingston's excellent Sailing The Bay book. The advice given is true, but forget Alameda. You can get a transient slip in any marina in the Estuary (Oakland Alameda). Fortmann's has been reported to be the least expensive. Alameda is great, you'll need a bike. All this stuff is explained in great detail in the guides and that book, so I hesitate to retype it all. Safe journey, fair winds.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 22:39   #5
cruiser

Emerald Bay near the isthmus on Catalina.

San Pedro: Small very nice anchorage off the first marina inside San Pedro harbor entrance behind the outer breakwater, just outside the marina breakwater.

Long Beach: just off the oil island inside the outer breakwater not far from Long Beach marina. Just off the pier and lifeguard station.

Newport Beach: In the center of the harbor just off the southern tip of Lido island. Small anchorage... Or you can eat a very nice dinner at the Cannery Restaurant with a reservation and they will let you tie up at their dock for the night.

Dana Point has an excellent inner harbor anchorage just off the beach near the marine institute and the yacht club. Many stores and restaurants nearby. A dinghy dock near the pier.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:11   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
... You could also go up the Napa river but don't know whether there are places to anchor along the anchor. Can go right up to the town of Napa though.
The dock at downtown Napa is very small and limited to day-use only. I wouldn't go beyond the old Kaiser pipe plant (north of the Hwy 37 bridge) except during high tide. There are areas suitable for anchoring along the river.

The Petaluma slough/river brings one into downtown Petaluma where overnight docking is available. Go at high tide only, and make an appointment for a D Street bridge opening.

Both towns, but especially Petaluma, are good tourist destinations.
Old 10-08-2014, 23:37   #7
cruiser

It's a real tragedy and waste of one of the worlds greatest treasures that I can only name a few small acres of anchorages on the Southern California coastline, because the politicians and environmental wack jobs refuse to allow the coastline to be developed. See list above.

Have a nice trip down. When you reach the Med, you'll be able to enjoy the tens of thousands of beautiful, clear water, free anchorages along developed coastlines with boardwalks, beaches and marinas. Millions of people enjoying themselves every day. Then you'll ask yourself.... Why don't we have this here on the west coast of America?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Morro Bay, south of Monterey and North of Pt Conception. Nice anchoring at $10/day or Yacht Club mooring for $20/day or Yacht Club dock (very limited space) for $20/day. We live aboard in Morro Bay and as a SSCA Cruising Station Host would be happy to show you around town.

Free anchoring in Port San Luis, but town of Avila is small and not really much to see.

Oh nice free anchoring in San Simeon and dinghy in to see Hearst Castle.

Just email me is you want some local poop on Morro Bay
rich@cruiserowater.com
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:38   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Rich, do I read this to mean that there is a charge to ANCHOR in Morro Bay now? Who collects that money and where does it go, and how do they justify it?

Big change from when we cruised the Cal coast back in the 70's and early 80's.

Progress?

Jim
Old 11-08-2014, 08:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I have no idea how they can justify charging for anchoring...this type of thing drives me CraZy! But alas, they let you anchor for free for 7 days in a 90 day period. Then charges start to kick-in. We own a mooring in here, so I've forgotten some of the exact details, but I should know them so I'll head over to the harbor partrol office this morning and get the exact details. I do have to say, that in my experience the harbor patrol here in Morro Bay is about the nicest and most accomtating to cruisers you will find in California. San Diego for example...they look at you as scum hobos and would rather you not be there. At least that's how we were treated eveytime we were there!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:26   #11

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Uhm, you could get a Cruising Guide to the SF Bay Area, or Kimball Livingston's excellent Sailing The Bay book. The advice given is true, but forget Alameda. You can get a transient slip in any marina in the Estuary (Oakland Alameda). Fortmann's has been reported to be the least expensive. Alameda is great, you'll need a bike. All this stuff is explained in great detail in the guides and that book, so I hesitate to retype it all. Safe journey, fair winds.

Stu, I'm assuming you meant to say "Don't forget Alameda".

As Stu said, try Fortman, I'm there and there's lots of vacant slips available. Their site says $20 a night for 40' and over + metered electric. I'd try to get it lower, maybe at the under 40', $15 a night rate.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Transient cruisers can anchor in richardson bay/ sausalito for up to three months with a permit. Free Dinghy docks at fuel dock, at gallilee harbour and near downtown Contact BILL PRICE (HARBOR ADMINISTRATOR) for the permit.
c/o Marin County Community Development Agency,
Planning Division,
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 308
San Rafael, CA 94903-4157
PAGER: (415) 451-9595;
CELL PHONE: (415) 971-3919;
FAX: (415) 507-2951
MESSAGE MACHINE, SAUSALITO: (415) 289-4143;
E-MAIL: bprice@co.marin.ca.us

You could most likely anchor in richardson bay for a week or two with out being bothered about the permit. West marine and groceries are up from the fuel dock, easy walking. Molly stones groceries are $$$.

Aquatic park in SF offer free permit anchoring for sailboats only. Think for up to 7 days at a time and 30 days total in a year. Watch for swimmers in the water there.

Clipper cove offers 3 days or so anchoring with permit, one day without. You can dinghy to the beach and catch a bus into SF from there. A nice anchorage too. Hug the docks entering the cove as the middle is silted in nicely.

Paradise cove and china camp are free to anchor, but no services.

Downtown petaluma (30 miles from Sausalito) offers everything for $23 a night. The petaluma marina is the same price for tranisents. D street drawbridge needs 4 hour notice for opening. Be aware that afternoon winds in San Pablo bay will make returning from petaluma exciting or at least a bit moist.

Marina bay in Richmond will have slips available. Berkeley marina has a free newer pump out dock with water. Easy access from the bay.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 13:25   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

You can anchor off Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara for free. A short dinghy to the wharf or into the harbor, although there is no place to (legally) tie your dinghy in the harbor. It is more of an open roadstead than an anchorage and can get rolly, but late summer and fall tend to be OK. From November 1 through April 1 you must anchor over 1 mile to the east of the wharf. Visitor slips are available in the harbor at $.90/ft/day for 14 days, then the rates double until day 28 when you have to leave regardless. You can "reset" the counter by leaving for 5 days in a row. First come, first served, no reservations (unless you happen to have a superyacht, then everything is different). Space in the marina is often tight, especially in summer and fall during the migration.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 14:03   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

san diego bay.
ther eis no anchoring withou texpe==ress permission of the sd harbot police. ok
first go to the cop dock.. straight into channel to the police station, right there. park boat. if from out of country, call #82 on the pay lesss fone. that number is not pay.
go back to yer boat n wait.
for anchoring permits, go to the fishbowl looking room up there--used to be police dispatcch for harbies. ask nicely about anchoring. you will be advised and taught.
for MOORINGS, it is differnt. make arrangements with vanessa, of sdmc, san diego mooring company.
ask fro a temporary mooring. she will help you. keep in touch with her as to the availability factor.
she is nice the availability is a bitch. they waiting on my boat to sell for another permanent mooring availability.
san diego mooring company vhofmann@sandiegomooring.com
write her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california