Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 05:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Bulwagga Anchor

Hi everyone Happy Holiday's to All
I,confess I have never heard of this Anchor,I have cruised the Bahamas for decades and switched to a Fortress years ago with good success.I have two sitituations ,One I now have a Bow Sprit and Bob Stay to deal with,HOW do you attach anchor rode to a bridle which I now must use,I have looked at the Prusik knot arangement and am not clear on the attachment,do you seure the rode before attaching the bridle?Next this Bulwagga Anchor look's like it might work in Hard Bottoms ,I am limited in my Anchor selection as the anchor must come up under the bow sprit and secure by shank pin thru.NO rom for roll bar anchors nor Fortress.
Many thanks for the assistence
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 05:58   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Bulwagga Anchor

The Bulwagga is a great anchor, unfortunately I don't think they are made anymore.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:05   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I think Mark is right about Bulwagga.

With regard to your question about a bridle, I used to use a rolling hitch and that's what is generally accepted as the best knot for that. You can use it on rope or chain, no issues.

More recently I switched to using short loops of Dyneema single-braid in a prussic knot, in conjunction with pre-made bridle lines that have snap hooks that are rated for high load. (I use the Wichard Model 2328). The short loops are about 12" (doubled) and make the prussic knot quick and easy (no long tail to deal with) and the bridles snap on/off.

Here is a picture of the Wichard hook -- I splice these into 25-foot 3-strand nylon lines, each separately so I'm using a hook for each bridle leg. Another nice thing about this arrangement is that I can use the snap hooks to attach my bridle to guest moorings that might not come with appropriate bridles, and if there isn't enough room in the mooring eye I can use the Dyneema loop to attach to the mooring also. Dyneema is more chafe (and UV) resistant than any other synthetic line material. (I splice my own double loops, but that's for another post, if anyone's interested).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:11   #4

Boat: Allures 44

Casual: are you sure you need to secure your anchor by a shank pin? You could devise other ways.... You could use a Spade (good but pricey), a Delta, etc.

SFT: I like your idea. It's a hassle put a Prusik or Kleimheist on a bridal with a long tail! What sized nylon 3-strand are you able to splice into the eye of that Wichard hook in order to make your bridal?

CF
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:42   #5

Boat: Allures 44

SFT: disregard my previous question. I've read your description more carefully, and I see that each leg of your bridle has its own hook. Nice setup.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 08:06   #6

I don't use a hook on each leg of the bridle, but instead use a single line bridle with an alpine butterfly knot in the middle of the line to which a shackle is attached. (The ends of the bridle are attached to port and starboard cleats) That shackle is then attached to a klemheist knot which is tied off to the anchor rode. I found that the klemheist works better than a rolling hitch and also I prefer it over the prusik.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 08:13   #7

One further note. That klemheist knot is made up on a seperate line from the bridle so that it's an easy task attaching it to the rode. It's a short line that is made up into a loop about 3 feet in diameter. I used a triple fisherman knot to tie the ends of that loop together.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 08:21   #8

The Wichard snaps I use can accept 5/8" 3-strand line. I splice it the same way you'd splice rode to a chain end link.

The double loops are spliced into 1/4 or 3/8" dyneema. I got the idea from the Shockles Line Grabber http://www.shockles.com/products/linegrabber.cfm but I use modified brummel splices, instead of the lock-stitches used by Shockles -- so my splices are almost as strong as the rated line strength. (Shockles is rated at 2,000 pounds.) The 12-strand splices rely on a long bury for maximum strength. I use a 12:1 ratio of length:diameter and therefore my double loop splices are much longer (between eyes) than those made by Shockles, but they are still short enough to do a quick/easy Prussic wrap on the rode without a long tail.
Old 24-12-2011, 11:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

It look's as I,have plenty of option's,Now to learn about the different Knots,I really like the Two line Bridle with seperate attachment points easy to adjust and retrive,Thanks again everyone Merry Christmas
Old 24-12-2011, 13:31   #10

manson"s new anchor looks like a good choice as it has no roll bar I googled it but can not actually find anyone selling them yet
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 12:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

STF Do you use a thimble in your splice to secure your Wichard Hook To?If I, read correctly you are use 3 strand nylon spliced to the wichard hooks,then securing that to your anchor rode with apussic knot,the Line grabber attachment you posted look's great,will this hold a 25,000 lb boat at Anchor?Never used a bridle system before,Thanks I have learned a Lot.
Old 25-12-2011, 14:10   #12

Red face Re: Bulwagga Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
STF Do you use a thimble in your splice to secure your Wichard Hook To?If I, read correctly you are use 3 strand nylon spliced to the wichard hooks,then securing that to your anchor rode with apussic knot,the Line grabber attachment you posted look's great,will this hold a 25,000 lb boat at Anchor?Never used a bridle system before,Thanks I have learned a Lot.
No thimble. I splice the snap hook to the 3-strand sames as you would to a chain end-link on a mixed rode. The Line Grabber would not be strong enough for your boat...you would need to copy the idea using thicker dyneema and do your own splices using a modified brummel splice. The colligomarine.com site has dyneema splicing instructions for that (see the reference documents on that site). 3/8 or 5/16 dyneema would be more than strong enough.

The Line Grabber uses the same principle as the prussic knot and that's where my reference to that knot coms from. I have made my own Line Grabbers, as described in a post above.
Old 25-12-2011, 14:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Thanks I got it I certainly can get stronger dynema.Thanks Again
Old 25-12-2011, 21:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Thanks I got it I certainly can get stronger dynema.Thanks Again
I just went to the Colligo site and they now have pre-made loops you could use for this application, with Prussic knots i Loupes | Colligo Marine

The 9mm iLoupe would have more than enough strength for your size boat. Get the longest length so you can put more wraps in the Prussics. However, if you're into splicing you can do this yourself for less $. I think Colligo's prices are fair considering the labor that goes into it. (I have no affiliation with them or any other company in the marine business, except as a customer.)
Old 25-12-2011, 21:30   #15

Also, here's a link to a PDF instructions on how to do a modified brummel splice in Dyneema. I've done about 20 of these splices now and it takes about 15-20 minutes (more than half the time is after the final bury -- in measuring, marking and cutting the splice taper, which takes 12 cuts.)
http://www.colligomarine.com/docs/mi...eb_rev_1_2.pdf

Tags
anchor, bulwagga