Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 19:30   #31

Re: Bruce vs Danforth.. Need some advise

Rocna Rocna Rocna Manteus Manteus Manteus Super Max Super Super Max. Get with the new generation!
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:32   #32

Please DO NOT anchor in Coral
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:58   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
Please DO NOT anchor in Coral

Anchorages behind reefs are loaded with all sorts of dead coral. Sort if hard to miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 20:27   #34

If a 29 foot boat is dragging a genuine ten pound danforth in 8 knots of wind, the anchor is not being set properly. You should have at least your waterline length in chain and be using at least a 5:1 scope, measured from the surface of the water. Slowly lower the anchor while slowly reversing the boat. Stop when you feel the anchor catch. Wait a few minutes for the chain to settle on the bottom, and then reverse gently to set the anchor. That should do it. But remember, a danforth will usually break free if the wind direction or current changes the the direction that the anchor was originally set. And a pebble caught in the flukes can render the danforth ineffective. If I were choosing a new anchor, I would go with the Bruce.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 10:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I would recommend you add to your list. I think the modern "scoop" anchors (concave non-pivoting anchor like Rocna, Manson Supreme, and others) are the best overall anchors. For a 29 foot boat, I'd go with a 10kg anchor and put the additional $$ and ## into 5/16" chain.

Cheers,

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 15:05   #36

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Manson Supreme and all chain rode--the bigger the better within reason. I have a forty two foot tri which when loaded weights about six and a half to seven tonnes. It stops more wind at anchor than any other multihull or monohull for its length. I use a 60 pounds anchor and all-chain rode. My lunch stop anchor is a 30 pounds Manson. Prior to the Mansons I used a thirty pounds plough which was under-sized but I was assured was adequate--which it was not. It gave us many a sleepless night but used in tandem with a forty-five pound claw it held most times. The claw was a better anchor, but in hard mud would grab a big ball of it and then if it came free it would not re-set.

Since the Mansons--no further troubles at all--but to stop the boat sailing back and forth across the tide it is often necessary to stream a drogue or so set my second anchor astern.

Since I bought the Mansons I have not had any anchor alarms going off. The Manson Supreme I use may be a bit of over-kill--a forty-five pounds one might well suffice--but peace of mind is priceless. The Manson is one of the better anchors one could choose and I have no problems recommending them. For their weight they hold better than most.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 00:05   #37

Boat: kuiper 32

Hi eric my girl is 7 ton with a full keel and lots of windage aloft,twin furlers.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 00:50   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
Hi eric my girl is 7 ton with a full keel and lots of windage aloft,twin furlers.
Thanks Dan.
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote