Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38   #46

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Bridal at anchor or .....?

Tried using a soft shackle and hated it for this application. The last thing I want to do on a bouncing bow is fumbling and trying to thread the knot though a soft shackle and around a tensioned chain. Maybe others dexterity is better than mine, but hooking the chain is a heck of a lot easier than tying or hitching anything.

A chain hook has worked great for us and have never had one fall off.... unless we want it to.

Need to let out more chain? Just release the snubber so the loop of hanging chain from the bow to the snubber is taught. Shake the snubber a few times and the hook falls off. Release as much chain as needed, reattach hook, and let out more chain to make a hanging loop again.

You do not need to use the "up" function on the windlass since your not pulling any chain aboard to unhitch anything. Saving you or your windlass a lot of work.

We also use a second chain hook on deck connected to a cleat as our chain stopper. Again easy to release if needed, can be cut away, and it can also be let out if the first snubber were ever to break.

Matt
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Tried using a soft shackle and hated it for this application. The last thing I want to do on a bouncing bow is fumbling and trying to thread the knot though a soft shackle and around a tensioned chain. Maybe others dexterity is better than mine, but hooking the chain is a heck of a lot easier than tying or hitching anything...
Yeah, that can be a challenge. The trick is to attach the soft shackle on the boat side of the bow roller, before it is deployed. This does mean threading the snubber through the roller from the outside, but if you leave it there each time (tensioned up out of the way--the best way to ruin a snubber is to grind chain over it) it is easy, perhaps the best in terms of how smoothly the shackle feeds out over the roller. Slower, but probably the surest and safest method in bouncy conditions, since there is no bending of the pulpit and it cannot bounce off. A good method to at least have in your mental toolbox!

(In this image I was showing how to retrieve 2 anchors set open hawse from a single rode--the black is the secondary rode, and the white is a retrieval line, used to keep in touch with the second anchor with the primary is gound in. Yes, a thible would be nice--this was just a demo. But it shows me disconnecting the soft shackle on-deck, where it is easy. This really is the easiest way to connect 2 rodes. And while that shackle looks small, it is stronger than the chain.)

Another thing that helps is to make the soft shackles a little longer; easier to work with. Also try open or hybrid designs for anchor chains; easier, and less prone to jamming up with mud.

If you must link them away from the boat, holding the lines close ans still with a large carabiner while you work helps. Tricks of the trade.

Still not my favorite.
Old 08-12-2015, 14:00   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like the bridle with long shock absorbing lines to both the starboard and port. I don't want to put any effort into fixing it or detaching it from the chain. I want to be able to take up my chain rode and have the bridle fall clear away from my rode. This is my solution:

I lift the two lines to engage the hook when deploying the last feet of chain rode and it falls away when my windlass takes the slack loop out of the chain. ....simple!
This is exactly what I have attached in to the end of my long bridle.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 14:18   #49

Quote:
I like the bridle with long shock absorbing lines to both the starboard and port. I don't want to put any effort into fixing it or detaching it from the chain. I want to be able to take up my chain rode and have the bridle fall clear away from my rode. This is my solution:

I lift the two lines to engage the hook when deploying the last feet of chain rode and it falls away when my windlass takes the slack loop out of the chain. ....simple!
I had some thing similar for years. The only problem is that if the long bridle allows the plate to touches the bottom it also falls away. Thus, I added a locking plate, which was only needed in shallows and was not always used. Still has a lot going for it, don't know why they stopped (I believe) making it. The extra hole was for attaching a second anchor, which turned out to be a useless feature. The geometry is better than the ABI plate in terms of staying on (deeper slot, shackles closer).

Old 08-12-2015, 18:56   #50

We just use a long dock line. Tie the middle to the anchor rode/chain with a prussic (spelling police have at it) and cleat the ends off to opposite bows. Then release enough rode/chain to put the load on the bridal.

Only takes a minute to rig up and always come apart easily even after heavy strain.

We mostly use the bridal to keep anchor sailing down but it does provide backup as it will still hold if one end were to chafe thru (not that we've ever had an issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:51   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i really really wanna know what the woman in white says when you throw her and her waiting women overboard affixed to a chain.
do you send her feet first or head first.
BRIDLE not BRIDAL

this is actually quite entertaining. so many do not know what word to use an d it is soooo very different the meanings.
try googling each and then report back.

at least my problem in typoing is my hands which are disabled.
and you diss me for typos i make with disabled hands-- so --get it right, folks.

bridle is what you use on a horse, boat and other items needing bridled, and bridal is the woman in white going down the isle--she actually has a party. mebbe the party is what is confusing y'alls.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17   #52

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

When you start watching how people attach their anchors you will notice some incredibly bad examples of technique. Here's one from Blue Mouse Cove in Glacier Bay a couple of years ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadAnchoring-Squished.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	114584  
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:28   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i really really wanna know what the woman in white says when you throw her and her waiting women overboard affixed to a chain.
do you send her feet first or head first.
BRIDLE not BRIDAL

this is actually quite entertaining. so many do not know what word to use an d it is soooo very different the meanings.
try googling each and then report back.

at least my problem in typoing is my hands which are disabled.
and you diss me for typos i make with disabled hands-- so --get it right, folks.

bridle is what you use on a horse, boat and other items needing bridled, and bridal is the woman in white going down the isle--she actually has a party. mebbe the party is what is confusing y'alls.
Actually Zee - you can also use a bridle on a woman, although she might take offense at it (of course - a male chauvinist would say it makes her easier to control.

I suppose you could put a bridal dress and veil on a horse and marry it - although I don't think this is legal very many places around the globe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horse in a dress.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	114587  
Attached Images

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:41   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Actually Zee - you can also use a bridle on a woman, although she might take offense at it (of course - a male chauvinist would say it makes her easier to control.

I suppose you could put a bridal dress and veil on a horse and marry it - although I don't think this is legal very many places around the globe
ok so fotochop that bridle onto a male face and bod and it works both ways, but a bridal is fairly specific.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 22:57   #55

Boat: Cabo Rico Tiburon 36" ketch

Quote:

This is exactly what I require Hudson Force. Can I purchase this plate/hook "off the shelf"? If so, do you know where I can get one and who makes 'em? If not, have you any tips for me regarding manufacturing one for 10mm short link chain, holding 10 ton of vessel at anchor?
Reef Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:19   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It is really easy to make at a metal shop
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:12   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Boy View Post
This is exactly what I require Hudson Force. Can I purchase this plate/hook "off the shelf"? If so, do you know where I can get one and who makes 'em? If not, have you any tips for me regarding manufacturing one for 10mm short link chain, holding 10 ton of vessel at anchor?
I know that I bought this item "off the shelf", but I've had it so long that I don't recall where,- 'likely Defender or West Mairine. I do notice that it has the letters "AB" stamped on it, but I don't know more.

Pelagic is right. It's a simple item and could be easily made.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:26   #58

A simple test of Google Foo.

Sea-Dog Line 321850-1 | Fisheries Supply

A5/8" D4" C3" B2-1/4" E5/16"

You can also get custom sizes from Costal Metal Works in Stuart, FL.
Old 10-12-2015, 13:36   #59

Boat: Cabo Rico Tiburon 36" ketch
Re: Bridle at anchor or .....?

Thanks Gentlemen, in particular, Thinwater. This "foo" googled chain hook, anchor bridle etc. etc. if only I had known what I was looking for was called a "chain gripper plate". My experience could be quite relevant to another thread running at the moment on nautical nomenclature. I could have been googling forever.
Reef Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor