Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 18:33   #1

Bow Roller and Flying Anchor

I installed a windlass on my boat and have a problem of the anchor flipping up after the chain connection point (for lack of better description) passes the roller making the 90* turn. It's a single roller design. I'm using a 7lb Fortress anchor and all chain. It's a pain to pull the anchor up past the roller by hand, then lay the anchor horizontally in the roller, then hit the windlass to take up the slack. I see the AnchorLift brand has a 2 roller design where the rollers are are on a pivoting arm and seem to prevent this flying anchor, from their online video. I also see other brands bow rollers that use 2 rollers on the end, but they are stationary, non pivoting. Does that design work the same to prevent this issue? My problem is the bow roller was installed/sealed with 5200 and any attempt to remove it for replacement will result in damaged gel. I wish not to go there, therefore am considering making a pivoting part to mount on my existing bow roller mount, using the roller bolt hole as the pivot point. But if the plain 2 roller stationary works the same way, that would be a lot easier to do.
Does anyone else have the same issue, and how did you address it? Opinions on the 2 roller design?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 21:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Danforths are symmetrical anchors designed originally for hawse-pipe stowage, not to behave on rollers. The shank wants to sit flat (sideways) on the roller and the anchor's balance doesn't do much to stop it. Pivoting dual rollers are designed to self-launch anchors that don't self-launch and are unlikely to help with your issue. A bigger diameter roller may calm things down a bit, but really you're likely to have problems no matter what you do to the roller.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:11   #3

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Bruce! Bruce! :-) It's such a pretty design. Sits well on a roller, too.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 07:10   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I think his name is Jerry...

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:07   #5

Boat: Pearson 422 "Island Dream"
Send a message via AIM to CaptPatAg
Delta......Better than Bruce for my $$$.
CaptPatAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:18   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
How can a 7 pound anchor be a lot of work!!
Old 02-08-2010, 13:55   #7

Never said it was alot of work, just the hassle of having to pull it up by hand till it clears the roller and pull it tight in the bow roller, then having to hit the switch to take up the chain so that the anchor does not flip up and back down chipping the FG trying to come over the roller.

Thanks for input Craig
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor