Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 12:55   #31

Boat: Dream 45'
Re: Bow camera anyone?

Beware: car backup cameras show mirrored images. Choose according the intended use.

Perhaps a small CCTV system, say 4 cameras, could be used with multiple purposes: docking, security...
iabmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 19:23   #32

Boat: 8.5m Fast Sailing Cat, 7.5m McLay Aluminium HT

I bought my McLay off a mad keen fisherman who owned a security company. One of the added features he used was a 50m wired waterproof infra red security camera with a touchscreen, he used it to lower down the burley trail so he could see what fish were being attracted and target them accordingly in real time. Seems like this would work for your application so long as the water was at least reasonably clear (it is never as clear in NZ as the tropics and very dark at 50m so I cant see why it would not work in gin clear water) you could have one on the bow,stern,mast head and do it all from the comfort of the cockpit... I would still keep a very good watch though!
mdenize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 19:51   #33

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have played with cameras on boats, and indeed technology offers us many opportunities, but I am still wondering......
If you, as the thread starter said, if you are coming in daytime into a small channel/harbour, then I would think that the helmsman is at the helm, and a second crew is on the bow, ideally with polarised glasses.
If one were to come in solo, surely that helmsman is not looking at a small android/ipad screen and loose that way all situational awareness.

In addition to that, nearly all screens are difficult to read in daylight, and therefore I would think such camera is not worth it.
By all means if you have 3 crew or more, and money to spare, install a camera and dedicate a crew member to the screen.

I would like to see a test then, who sees first and the most: a crew on the bow, or a screen watcher...... and what about the kids on a kayak about to paddle in your path..... the screen watcher will not see them until directly in front of the boat. Yes, I hear you, most cameras have very wide angle lenses, 120 degrees or more for reversing cameras, but using anything more than 90 degree angle lenses, makes it hard to spot things from a distance.
Old 14-01-2020, 20:53   #34

Fun toy but honestly don't think it will provide much benefit.

Let's say you drop back to 3kts. Slow but enough to have good steering. That's about 5ft/seconds. 30ft is generally considered good visibility by divers, so you have about 6 seconds. Assuming you are paying attention to other things, you likely will lose 2-3 seconds before it registers what is on the screen. That doesn't leave you a lot of time to change course and with the narrow close up view, you don't have a good idea of which way to turn. That leaves hard reverse but that takes 2-3 sec more because you have to stop in neutral before moving to reverse and then throttling up.

Also, if there is any wave action, you likely won't see too far ahead due to the bottom of the waves blcoking forward visibility...so even with 60ft visibility, you might still only see 30ft ahead.

This is as opposed to someone on the bow looking 2-3 times farther ahead and able to quickly scan the area to give you a course correction.

Not saying it could never be a benefit but probably so rare as to be a curiosity rather than a useful instrument.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 02:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Fun toy but honestly don't think it will provide much benefit.

Let's say you drop back to 3kts. Slow but enough to have good steering. That's about 5ft/seconds. 30ft is generally considered good visibility by divers, so you have about 6 seconds. Assuming you are paying attention to other things, you likely will lose 2-3 seconds before it registers what is on the screen. That doesn't leave you a lot of time to change course and with the narrow close up view, you don't have a good idea of which way to turn. That leaves hard reverse but that takes 2-3 sec more because you have to stop in neutral before moving to reverse and then throttling up.

Also, if there is any wave action, you likely won't see too far ahead due to the bottom of the waves blcoking forward visibility...so even with 60ft visibility, you might still only see 30ft ahead.

This is as opposed to someone on the bow looking 2-3 times farther ahead and able to quickly scan the area to give you a course correction.

Not saying it could never be a benefit but probably so rare as to be a curiosity rather than a useful instrument.
You must have visited NZ instead of the tropical pacific...60ft...Hah!

"In other sea waters, Secchi depths in the 50 to 70 m range have occasionally been recorded, including a 1985 record of 53 m in the Eastern and up to 62 m in the tropical Pacific Ocean. " (note DEPTHS!), note a secchi disc is 12 inches in diameter which is a very small bommie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_vision
Old 15-01-2020, 19:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdenize View Post
You must have visited NZ instead of the tropical pacific...60ft...Hah!

"In other sea waters, Secchi depths in the 50 to 70 m range have occasionally been recorded, including a 1985 record of 53 m in the Eastern and up to 62 m in the tropical Pacific Ocean. " (note DEPTHS!), note a secchi disc is 12 inches in diameter which is a very small bommie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_vision
Odd, you quote up to 70m but the record is 62m...of course, do you only go sailing when there is record clear visibility? By definition records are rare events.

I'm well aware of what a seccihi disk is and it's size isn't particularly relevant. Also straight down, you can often see better than straight ahead as wave action introduces bubbles and other debris that scatters light. Try it some time, send the disk straight down to a known depth and check the visibility, then have someone swim it out a similar distance and hold it a foot under the surface.

I already allowed that it's possible on rare occasions to have some usefulness but if it's 1 day in 100...It's a fun curiosity not a viable navigation device.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 20:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Odd, you quote up to 70m but the record is 62m...of course, do you only go sailing when there is record clear visibility? By definition records are rare events.

I'm well aware of what a seccihi disk is and it's size isn't particularly relevant. Also straight down, you can often see better than straight ahead as wave action introduces bubbles and other debris that scatters light. Try it some time, send the disk straight down to a known depth and check the visibility, then have someone swim it out a similar distance and hold it a foot under the surface.

I already allowed that it's possible on rare occasions to have some usefulness but if it's 1 day in 100...It's a fun curiosity not a viable navigation device.
Actually if you read the wicki it makes sense. They are not talking about the same water but they do state the records for the tropics which is the water the OP is talking about

I am Naui scuba instructor with a go pro and I know what a HD camera can do under the water Try watching a marlin attacking a lure pattern in a wake at 7 knots for surface bubbles. All perfectly clear, lighting excellent, cheap as chips /eg

Note you are watching a compressed you tube not the real uncompressed image which are just awesome. I realise it not a something for people who hate technology but for the others it is definitely worth a try, after all we are talking about a bommie which by definition is not moving as fast as a marlin... I do think that no technology can ever replace keeping a good watch which is why GPS manufacturers insist on that warning every time you turn it on.
Old 19-01-2020, 03:14   #38

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Check out DEPSTECH endoscope on Amazon. Focal plane may be a problem.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:29   #39

Boat: hunter, 1982, 30 ft

some cams will not communicate with ipads or phones while underwater
summer love is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, grass