Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 19:29   #1

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Big ole Claw anchor for semi-permenant mooring?

Okay, tried it in the anchoring for a hurricane thread, so maybe a new thread will get some attention.

I've been considering a system to be used as a semi-permanant mooring and also as a hurricane anchor. I've considered the 3 anchor triangle setup, deemed it a bit too expensive to set up an effective system and so I've looked to other alternatives.

One such alternative is a big 66 pound claw anchor. Either the "Manta" or the "Horizon" from west marine.

I understand they're derived from oil rig mooring anchors. This gives me some confidence. The incredible oversizedness of it gives me a bit more. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Any ideas or suggestions to using this big claw anchor as a mooring in a mud/sand bottom?

Obviously during a hurricane I will put out every anchor I've got and hope for the best, but this huge sucker would add a lot to that.

(I should say, first plan is to find a sheltered area up a river and spiderweb myself in, but in case that is a bust, I'm considering other options.)
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 20:38   #2

Boat: Trismus 37
Manson supreme, Rocna,Spade,Beughel, will do all you want without needing to be as heavy as the Claw anchor you speak about (asuming it is a bruce??) The bruce anchor was developed for oil rigs but they used multiple No.s of them, Huge would be an understatement regarding size. but the oil rigs never changed direction with the
tide/wind as a yacht would do.
they work ok as a small boat anchor but are not in the same league as the 4 above anchors.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:31   #3

I've got nothing against the manson supreme, rocna, spade or whatever that last one is, except their price. Price is a huge concern for me right now. The 66lb "manta" claw anchor is CHEAPER than the 15lb manson, and less than half the price of the 10kg Rocna.

I think they're all fine anchors and I'm considering saving up to get a manson supreme to use as a primary anchor on my boat to replace my danforth, however, I would not trust a 15 lb anchor, alone, in hurricane conditions.

So, with that in mind. How about that claw anchor? It's not exactly a bruce by the way, it looks a bit different, but still obviously of claw anchor origin.

Horizon Claw anchor - West Marine
Manta Claw anchor - West Marine
Old 04-06-2008, 13:27   #4

Boat: Trismus 37
The anchors you show are derivatives of the Bruce anchor, I agree that the prices are very good and "depending" on the bottom that you are anchoring in would hold you OK especially as I understand your boat is only 20 feet long. Is the area you are in prone to Hurricanes? or are you just wanting to cover the possibility if one did occur? Prior to the new generation of anchors we all relied on CQR's, Bruce, Danforth, Fisherman, etc. etc. and they mostly did the job. Another to consider is the Delta which is fairly highly rated by some folk. I have a Rocna 20 on my 7 tonne 37 foot boat and I have yet to have it drag or not set immediately.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 14:04   #5

Pensacola, Florida gets its fair share of hurricanes. In 2004 we had a doozy with Ivan, but have been lucky since then and haven't had anything too severe. I don't know how long that luck will hold out and I really wouldn't like to depend upon luck alone.

Pensacola,Florida hurricanes

As you can see from this site, we're either hit or brushed by a hurricane on average, every 3 years. It's been 3 years since our last "brush" with Dennis in 2005.
Old 04-06-2008, 14:11   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I can't imagine that not working.
Don't forget equal size chain - some at least.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 15:10   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
That 66 pound anchor is a bit big to lug around on your 20 foot boat. If you're putting in a mooring, a screw would hold better. I noticed a few boats this year using those screws they put in the ground to guy telephone poles for moorings. Cheap but I don't know how long they'll last. Apparently in mud or sand you can turn them down fairly easily using an iron bar. Just hold your breath.
Old 04-06-2008, 19:43   #8

I've considered the screw approach, however I'd have to hire someone to install it. I'm not that good at holding my breath. (Even in a pool which I was comfortable in, it took me three dives to screw in a single phillips head screw on a pool drain cover for a friend. The bay here is muddy and polluted and I'm not all that comfortable even walking in it, much less diving in it.) I can't even find out where I would buy the screws. I've looked around but can only find places willing to install them for me. The permitting also scares me. I have no idea what legal red tape I'd have to go through to put down a permanant mooring, which is why I'm trying to stick with something temporary that I could potentially pull up relatively easily in case someone ever decided to get picky about it.

The anchor despite being a bit much to carry around on a boat, would not be on there most of the time, yet it would still give me the chance to pull it up every once in a while to inspect it. Something I've heard that most moorings have done to them not often enough.

I believe I've considered most reasonable and common options. The big anchor is the best option I believe at this point. My main question is just, will it hold at least under reasonably rough conditions? I understand if something like a Category 5 hits all bets are off, but I just would like to know if this is at least any better than just leaving it out there with a 15 lb danforth and hoping for the best?

Where we are is reasonably protected, at least from the south. The north has about 2 miles of fetch for waves to pick up, but even when we've got 25 knot winds from the south there's just barely a ripple on the water.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
I've considered the screw approach, however I'd have to hire someone to install it...
...I've looked around but can only find places willing to install them for me...
A couple of Helical (screw) Mooring Anchor suppliers:

Helix Mooring Systems
PO Box 723
Belfast, Maine 04915
USA
Phone: 207-338-0412
Toll Free: 800-866-4775
Fax: 207-338-0415
Email: helix@midcoast.com

Watermark Navigation Systems LLC
29 Gilford East Drive
Gilford, NH 03249
USA
Phone: 603-524-6066
Toll Free (US & Canada): 1-888-628-2869
Fax: 603-524-8100
Email: atons@navbuoy.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:53   #10
cruiser

Just as an afterthought, don't forget to concentrate on how your mega-anchor will be attached to the boat for a hurricane. This is a likely failure point, even though your anchor may hold well.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:26   #11

Gord: Too late now, I've already paid the money for the anchor. But thanks for the info, if I end up getting my scuba certification this year like I plan, I might go ahead and put one of those down later.

Sean: Attachment points are a concern. The front cleat I use normally is pretty tough, but I've actually seen the deck, where it's through bolted, flex a couple of times when under significant stress. I'm trying to think of what to do. I'd like to tie off the chain to the front cleat, then make a bridle/snubber out of some heavy duty rope and lead it back through all my cleats and around my wenches along each side of the boat.

The only problem is aside from the bow cleat, my next point back is the jibsheet winches. This would mean leading the ropes OVER the cabin roof and possible through the handrails. Not sure how that would change the loading on the ropes or if it would cause damage to the handrails under heavy loading.

Just an idea, but i'm considering taking a 2x4 and cutting notches in each end, putting the two sides of the bridle through the notches to hold the ropes apart and make them clear of the cabin top, any opinions on this?

More and more, just taking it as far up the river as I can get it is sounding better and better.

Tags
anchor, claw