Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 07:35   #16

Boat: 1998 Moody 40
Re: Best Anchor Watch/Alert/Alarms apps?

The free Anchor! app gives us everything we need (drag-warnings, boat track overnight, re-set of the anchor), but it may be only available on the Apple devices. It tends to draw down the battery on a phone overnight, so requires attachment to a charge source.
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03   #17

Boat: Catana 50

We live on anchor, and I've tried so many apps I can't remember them all. Every one I tried either had false alarms, shut itself off or some other occasional failure. Not always, but once was enough for me to lose confidence.

What works best for us is Open CPN.

We use TimeZero on a Furuno plotter and TZ software on a pc along side the Open CPN at the nav station. I hit the MOB button on the plotter just as the anchor hits bottom (i also have a chain counter at the helm which helps). That both records the precise position of the anchor and shows me exactly how far I've pulled back from it (the Nav to function), which is also invaluable at showing that the anchor is set and not dragging (it shows precisely how far the boat is from wher the anchor was dropped. After I'm anchored it's a one minute job to manually transfer the lat lon of the MOB (anchor) to my OpenCPN and set the anchor watch. OPCPN also lets you set two rings at the same time which is great if you're close to something and worried about a wind shift etc.

I leave my AIS and my dc powered PC running all the time, and have a decent speaker on the pc for the alarm. The PC and AIS take minimal power and Open CPN works great. I have the added benefit of a detailed track inside my anchor circle at all times.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:07   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
you are right, it is the caption / icon that says Anchor lite, in the app store ir is listed as anchor watch.Attachment 180076
Quote:
here the iconAttachment 180077
Maybe that's just how they differentiate between the free and paid versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Anchor Alarm (paid version) with "Late Set" feature so you can activate app for approximate location of anchor when you forgot to do it as anchor being lowered.
Is that Anchor Watch/Alarm by Peckish Sloth? Or Sailsafe Anchor Alarm by HCSoft? Or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMark View Post
The free Anchor! app gives us everything we need (drag-warnings, boat track overnight, re-set of the anchor), but it may be only available on the Apple devices. It tends to draw down the battery on a phone overnight, so requires attachment to a charge source.
Yeah, not seeing that one for Android...

-Chris
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28   #19

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I use an anchor off the stern, doesn't use batteries and if the boat drags it makes it rock like crazy and wakes anyone asleep.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
We live on anchor, and I've tried so many apps I can't remember them all. Every one I tried either had false alarms, shut itself off or some other occasional failure. Not always, but once was enough for me to lose confidence.

What works best for us is Open CPN.

We use TimeZero on a Furuno plotter and TZ software on a pc along side the Open CPN at the nav station. I hit the MOB button on the plotter just as the anchor hits bottom (i also have a chain counter at the helm which helps). That both records the precise position of the anchor and shows me exactly how far I've pulled back from it (the Nav to function), which is also invaluable at showing that the anchor is set and not dragging (it shows precisely how far the boat is from wher the anchor was dropped. After I'm anchored it's a one minute job to manually transfer the lat lon of the MOB (anchor) to my OpenCPN and set the anchor watch. OPCPN also lets you set two rings at the same time which is great if you're close to something and worried about a wind shift etc.

I leave my AIS and my dc powered PC running all the time, and have a decent speaker on the pc for the alarm. The PC and AIS take minimal power and Open CPN works great. I have the added benefit of a detailed track inside my anchor circle at all times.

Hmmm... Interesting; I'm not really interested in OCPN, but I'll have to think more about TZ.

I can hit MOB on the real plotter as the anchor drops. That's about 30' from the anchor, but at least a semi-known distance. That plotter is NAVNet 3D, essentially the same as TZ, and has a great built-in anchor alarm... but the alarm sound isn't loud enough to penetrate to sleeping quarters. (I could fix that, with wires or a baby monitor or something). OTOH, it also uses too much power to leave on all the time, unless the genset is running (and we don't like to do that overnight).

But I can transfer the MOB coordinates to TZ on the laptop inside the house. Then maybe there's a way to couple that with the anchor alarm function. I haven't found that capability, yet...

The basic TZ anchor alarm on the laptop version seems to only by a circular fence, with the center being at the location of the laptop when the anchor alarm function is initiated. Haven't found a way to edit the anchor "location."

(The other two nav apps we use for general purposes are similar; it's just a circular fence, of radius X or diameter Y.)

I'm also grappling with the idea of correction for where the anchor really sets. I can mark where the anchor dropped, but that's not necessarily -- almost certainly seldom -- the final location where the anchor is really stuck in. I can be pretty exact with rode distance to the anchor, but it starts getting more inexact given not knowing where the anchor is with real precision. I could set the anchor, then drive back up the rode and take a more current location reading... but around here that'd probably add significant time to the process unless I wanted mud all over our foredeck...

In the grand scheme of things, I'm only just trying to improve the accuracy of our process... so it's not like something is really broken.

-Chris
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm... Interesting; I'm not really interested in OCPN, but I'll have to think more about TZ.

I can hit MOB on the real plotter as the anchor drops. That's about 30' from the anchor, but at least a semi-known distance. That plotter is NAVNet 3D, essentially the same as TZ, and has a great built-in anchor alarm... but the alarm sound isn't loud enough to penetrate to sleeping quarters. (I could fix that, with wires or a baby monitor or something). OTOH, it also uses too much power to leave on all the time, unless the genset is running (and we don't like to do that overnight).

But I can transfer the MOB coordinates to TZ on the laptop inside the house. Then maybe there's a way to couple that with the anchor alarm function. I haven't found that capability, yet...

The basic TZ anchor alarm on the laptop version seems to only by a circular fence, with the center being at the location of the laptop when the anchor alarm function is initiated. Haven't found a way to edit the anchor "location."

(The other two nav apps we use for general purposes are similar; it's just a circular fence, of radius X or diameter Y.)

I'm also grappling with the idea of correction for where the anchor really sets. I can mark where the anchor dropped, but that's not necessarily -- almost certainly seldom -- the final location where the anchor is really stuck in. I can be pretty exact with rode distance to the anchor, but it starts getting more inexact given not knowing where the anchor is with real precision. I could set the anchor, then drive back up the rode and take a more current location reading... but around here that'd probably add significant time to the process unless I wanted mud all over our foredeck...

In the grand scheme of things, I'm only just trying to improve the accuracy of our process... so it's not like something is really broken.

-Chris
The Android Anchor watch / Anchor lite (see screenshots above) allows manual anchor setting relative to current position and also shows the current GPS accuracy / possible deviation on the screen. Just make the secure zone double the size of the rode length used, no false alarms and reliable dragging warning.

The pro version shows the track afaik, if you have intrnet access you can see your position on the Map. Alternative use the lite version and the chartplotters track function to see your trail around your anchor.

I prefer the track function of the navionics hd app.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:07   #22

... looks like this...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180804-082210.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	180114
Old 04-11-2018, 09:10   #23

Quote:
The Android Anchor watch / Anchor lite (see screenshots above) allows manual anchor setting relative to current position and also shows the current GPS accuracy / possible deviation on the screen. Just make the secure zone double the size of the rode length used, no false alarms and reliable dragging warning.

The pro version shows the track afaik, if you have intrnet access you can see your position on the Map. Alternative use the lite version and the chartplotters track function to see your trail around your anchor.

Thanks, useful info. Is that "allows manual anchor setting relative to current position" by coordinates? Or by azimuth and distance? Or both? Or...?

-Chris
Old 04-11-2018, 09:16   #24

Quote:
Thanks, useful info. Is that "allows manual anchor setting relative to current position" by coordinates? Or by azimuth and distance? Or both? Or...?

-Chris
there are 3 options
- current location
- advanced curren location (bearing and distance)
- gps coordinates

The pro version has a lot more features, the app can send alarms via SMS if needed when on excursions on land.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I'm also grappling with the idea of correction for where the anchor really sets. I can mark where the anchor dropped, but that's not necessarily -- almost certainly seldom -- the final location where the anchor is really stuck in.
In hard or medium substrates a good, rapidly setting anchor will set almost immediately. Less than a metre is common.

In softer substrates the distance will be longer, but it has to be very soft before the distance is enormously high.

However, it is important to allow for the displacement between the GPS antenna and the bow where the anchor is dropped. As the GPS antenna is frequently near the stern, this can be a considerable distance. In our case it is about 14m.

The trace of the track as you drop the anchor is generally very accurate and this is a good method of determining the drop point, but you need to allow for the distance between the GPS antenna and the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07B13E47-1C24-4A60-AA7E-C10CC1FDC120.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	180115  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42   #26

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
In hard or medium substrates a good, rapidly setting anchor will set almost immediately. Less than a metre is common.

In softer substrates the distance will be longer, but it has to be very soft before the distance is enormously high.

However, it is important to allow for the displacement between the GPS antenna and the bow where the anchor is dropped. As the GPS antenna is frequently near the stern, this can be a considerable distance. In our case it is about 14m.

The trace of the track as you drop the anchor is generally very accurate and this is a good method of determining the drop point, but you need to allow for the distance between the GPS antenna and the bow.
I also have to disagree with the anchor being in a different location from where it was dropped. We almost always dive on our anchor, well at least in tropical waters. (-: , and it is almost always within a metre of where it was dropped as shown by the track of course. Accurate enough.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:13   #27
Marine Service Provider

A sailor that nervous needs to stay on land.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 15:07   #28

Boat: Beneteau 423

Boat Beacon has worked pretty well for me. You can either set the anchor point when you drop it, or what I usually do, aim the ipad/iphone towards the bow after you are set, and have Boat Beacon use some reasonable offset to estimate the anchor position. On the negative side, it seemed to use a lot of battery on my iPad when leaving it on while I was away on shore for the day. It will text or email you a message when the boat goes outside the guard area.
There may be some tuning that could improve battery usage. I also find the interface to be a bit confusing when looking for settings or to drop the anchor.

I too like to use Navionics with tracking on while I am on the boat. It gives me a visual sense of how the boat is doing. It also gives me a good idea of where the anchor dropped. I recently started using SeaIQ for my chartplotting while underway. It has an anchor feature but I have not had a chance to try it yet.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:40   #29

Quote:
there are 3 options
- current location
- advanced curren location (bearing and distance)
- gps coordinates

The pro version has a lot more features, the app can send alarms via SMS if needed when on excursions on land.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Yeah, that's what we've got: soft mud.

Our GPS antenna, or several of the portable devices, are about 25-30' aft of the bow, depending... but that's not a big issue to work around, haven't had any problem compensating for that.

Just noticed at this last anchorage that we probably dragged the anchor 10-15' as it was still setting.... and then another 10' after that as the winds piped up. (We had room to let it ride, so did that.) One of the few times when the wind applied more "horsepower" than we did with the engines when we were getting set up.

This was also one of the times we've had to re-try setting the anchor; the first try wasn't satisfactory. It's a very soft mud bottom in that area, and I suspect it's maybe also all covered with leaves now. And we were probably pushing it in there, with only 5:1 scope for those conditions...

-Chris
Old 05-11-2018, 03:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
A sailor that nervous needs to stay on land.

Probably shouldn't ever try to learn how various things work, either. And shouldn't ever want to try to improve technique...

-Chris

Tags
alarm, anchor