Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 19:30   #1

Boat: Leopard 43
Best anchor drag alarm

What do folks use for anchor drag alarms? I am using the Drag Queen iOS app now. It is simple but works reliably. However, I get a message now from Apple that it needs updates and will not work after their next upgrade. I have also tried Anchor Alert and Boat Sentry, but both of them fail to actually alarm when the boat moves too far. I do have an alarm on my chart plotter, but it is in the cockpit and too far away to hear. I also have a handheld GPS, but it just gives a little 1 second beep, which wouldn't wake anyone up. Does anyone know of a good iOS anchor drag alarm?
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:18   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Best anchor drag alarm

Read this blog post, along with some of the blog in general. It has lots, & lots of good info, plus some really funny s**t too.
Denali Rose: Siren Marine Boat Monitoring System

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:46   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Read this blog post, along with some of the blog in general. It has lots, & lots of good info, plus some really funny s**t too.
Denali Rose: Siren Marine Boat Monitoring System
Came for the good info, stayed for the funny ****.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
What do folks use for anchor drag alarms? I am using the Drag Queen iOS app now. It is simple but works reliably. However, I get a message now from Apple that it needs updates and will not work after their next upgrade. I have also tried Anchor Alert and Boat Sentry, but both of them fail to actually alarm when the boat moves too far. I do have an alarm on my chart plotter, but it is in the cockpit and too far away to hear. I also have a handheld GPS, but it just gives a little 1 second beep, which wouldn't wake anyone up. Does anyone know of a good iOS anchor drag alarm?
I dropped Jeff a note to see what their upgrade plans were... Drag Queen always seemed like a good program and he's had historically excellent support
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 21:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

This from Jeff:

I have a prototype for a new app but I need more time to finish it. The new app won't have issues with iOS 11 and will allow the addition of new features the app desperately needs. I'm wicked busy with Garmin right now but I want DQ for my own cruising. In the meantime, no boater should be running off and updating to iOS 11 in my opinion. This is a major update to a whole new architecture. Apps that you might rely on will fail with this new update. Be careful and let others find out what works and doesn't.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:57   #6

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Although it's not an iOS app solution ... one of the side benefits of having installed a Vesper AIS (XB-8000) unit was the ability to have an anchor alarm that wasn't tied into the rest of the instruments. We installed the optional external alarm at the chart table (where the AIS is) and it would wake the dead at full volume (you can turn it down). I also installed a mute switch so we can just kill all the audible alarms. It's a great solution through the Vesper app as well, allowing you to adjust all the parameters for alarm.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:11   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I dropped Jeff a note to see what their upgrade plans were... Drag Queen always seemed like a good program and he's had historically excellent support
I noticed about 6 months ago that all of the anchor alarm apps (that I have..3 or 4) for iPhone had not been updated in quite a while and was getting a similar message about potentially not working with the current OS. I'm wondering if Apple changed some aspect of their API that made it no longer cost effective for them to maintain. It seems like all of those apps are not being maintained.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 11:10   #8

Boat: KP 46

I have used one for years that always works. A 3 lb fishing weight tied with a length of string, dropped just after I drop the anchor, let it pay out as you set your anchor, give it another 10 feet or so, take it below and tie it to a light cook pot setting on a counter or a cockpit seat. it allows you to swing fine, but if you drag it pulls the pot off and it crashes to the sole.

if you are in an area where you do not want to swing, drop it off the stern.

Simple and works without a battery.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:11   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have used one for years that always works. A 3 lb fishing weight tied with a length of string, dropped just after I drop the anchor, let it pay out as you set your anchor, give it another 10 feet or so, take it below and tie it to a light cook pot setting on a counter or a cockpit seat. it allows you to swing fine, but if you drag it pulls the pot off and it crashes to the sole.

M
I love it!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:23   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:

M
That's my kind of anchor alarm!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:31   #11

Best tip ever!
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:05   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

M
The cast iron pan on the cabin top will also get your attention in a hurry when it is pulled down onto the deck over your bunk.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:23   #13

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

iOS App called Anchor. It works fine, but it seems to me that the battery-free solution with the pot on the galley bench wins the prize! :-)
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:36   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMark View Post
iOS App called Anchor. It works fine, but it seems to me that the battery-free solution with the pot on the galley bench wins the prize! :-)
The only fly in the ointment is that the line can get snagged as it takes the turn in the companionway hatch. Up on deck is a little more reliable. But you can get false alarms either way if you have nylon rode and it stretches when the wind pipes up, or if you don't take the arch of slack in the chain into account... of course the same would be true of an app too...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:51   #15

we use the anchor alert that is on our Watchmate ais system. the system is simple to activate and very accurate. when the boat drifts out of the set parameters it activates a visual and audible alarm.the system also provides a plot where the boat swung. highly recommended.
SV DESIRE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor