Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2009, 20:19   #61

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
It seems to me, after extensive reading of both the rocna, and the manson supreme, that BOTH anchors are very good at what they do, and EITHER would do a excellent job.
I intend to replace my cqr with either of these. In the end it will most likely, like a lot of things go with price point first, and place of manufactor 2nd.
The manson supreme is first on my list at this time, but either would do.
Thanks both for making a great anchor.
Old 22-03-2011, 17:10   #62

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Bent Manson supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
When boats are put on the hard the anchor and chain is taken off the boat and stored underneath to reduce the weight in the bow. I did move the anchor, on the ground, a couple of feet to take the photos. The boat is a charter boat and I have not spoken to the charter company/owner (they close completely for winter).
I have absolutely no connection with Craig or Rocna.

I think it is impossible to get an unbiased opinion from a company representative

I prefer the experiences of ordinary people unconnected to the companys.
I am looking to get a new bow anchor I am moored since september 2010 through the winter in a very unfriendly weather harbour. and it is now march 23 2010 we have had up to 55 knot winds and the average for this time of the year is 13 knots it is 35-40 knots tonight the wind speed averages between 11 and 14 knots I am on a Bruce with 60 metres of 5/16th galvanised chain which when in a straight line holds well but is hard to set ( I am also tied to 2 fishermens bouys at the bow as a back up).
We lost 1 stern thumb cleat, 1 stern chock, the 2nd stern thumbcleat broke 2 bolts out of 4, broke 2 stern lines that had rubber springs and also metal springs. Having replaced the stern cleats and instead of multiple stern lines now have 2 1'' 1/8th polyester ropes at the stern Now perhaps you can see the need for a new anchor, the bottom is sand and mud with rock and weed take your pick. I still cannot make my mind up which to get the small rocna fisherman looks exactly the same as the larger manson with the rock slot so who is copying who? there seems to be no difinitive just suck it and see. Rocna say that Mansons Lloyds certificate is a gimmick. Then Why have Rocna done practically the same with with the Italian Navy "The Rocna Original is classified by RINA to the highest level available: Super High Holding Power (SHHP). confused
Old 22-03-2011, 17:14   #63

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Wow, what a great thread... so, the Manson with the bent tip would likely still hold your boat...

... how about a Rocna?

Looks like that 'Made in China' thing is not working out too well...
Old 22-03-2011, 17:26   #64

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Good grief! Here we go...What's the story on the bent Rocna?
Old 22-03-2011, 17:32   #65

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

How About a bent Delta? Caught under a rock, finally broke loose. Replaced with a Manson Supreme, which I haven't managed to bend yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bendel.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	25400  
Old 22-03-2011, 17:45   #66

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In the Keys I was anchored next to someone with a Bruce copy--unfortunately I'm not sure which one. We had a cold front come through with maybe 25 knots gusting 30 at times, and the wind shifted through 180 degrees. Bottom was pure sandy mud, no rock. His anchor came up the next day with a twisted shank. It was really mild stuff for an anchor to bend like that. I looked at it and it was the right size for his boat. It just didn't have much strength to it. He got rid of the anchor that day. I used to say beware of these knock offs, but now in this thread I see that the originals might have some problems too.
Old 23-03-2011, 00:58   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post

I think it is impossible to get an unbiased opinion from a company representative
I prefer the experiences of ordinary people unconnected to the companys.
I am looking to get a new bow anchor I am moored since september 2010 through the winter in a very unfriendly weather harbour. and it is now march 23 2010 we have had up to 55 knot winds and the average for this time of the year is 13 knots it is 35-40 knots tonight the wind speed averages between 11 and 14 knots I am on a Bruce with 60 metres of 5/16th galvanised chain which when in a straight line holds well but is hard to set ( I am also tied to 2 fishermens bouys at the bow as a back up).
We lost 1 stern thumb cleat, 1 stern chock, the 2nd stern thumbcleat broke 2 bolts out of 4, broke 2 stern lines that had rubber springs and also metal springs. Having replaced the stern cleats and instead of multiple stern lines now have 2 1'' 1/8th polyester ropes at the stern Now perhaps you can see the need for a new anchor, the bottom is sand and mud with rock and weed take your pick. I still cannot make my mind up which to get the small rocna fisherman looks exactly the same as the larger manson with the rock slot so who is copying who? there seems to be no difinitive just suck it and see. Rocna say that Mansons Lloyds certificate is a gimmick. Then Why have Rocna done practically the same with with the Italian Navy "The Rocna Original is classified by RINA to the highest level available: Super High Holding Power (SHHP). confused
Hi Captain Mike and welcome to the forum. This is a very old thread, but I guess its still a pertinent topic.

The Med over winter can be rough, so much so that some claim its not safe to anchor over the winter period. I maintain it can be done safely, but you do need good anchoring equipment as you are discovering.
My rule of thumb is there will at least one 50K storm per year. (This is my fourth winter at anchor in the Med) For much of the winter I was anchored in Paros just 30nm west of you .
So far the worst we have had is 45K (I am quoting average wind speeds not gusts) , so a bit less than average although there have been a few more 35- 40K gales this year than most others.
If you continue to stay in the Med over winter at anchor get yourself a new generation anchor.
My Rocna has not dragged once.

I hope by quoting me and then stating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post

You are not implying I am a company representative. To make it clear, as I have stated I have no, and have never had, any connection with any anchoring or marine company.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:36   #68

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

noelex 77

Were you ever able to find out how they bent the anchor...
Old 23-03-2011, 04:16   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
noelex 77

Were you ever able to find out how they bent the anchor...
No sorry it was on a charter boat and they shut down over winter. By the time the charter company restarted business I was cruising a different area.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:39   #70

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Dang charter boats, they just can't keep still,
. You'd think they were out there trying to make money or something, LOL
Shame we couldn't find out the story, THANKS
Old 23-03-2011, 04:53   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Wow, what a great thread... so, the Manson with the bent tip would likely still hold your boat...

... how about a Rocna?
Hang an anchor up in rock or whatever and put enough force on it sideways, and you'll bend any anchor shank. The Rocna's shank is G800 high tensile steel and about as strong as it's possible to make it within reason. The profile is water cut, not gas/laser cut, to avoid embrittling and weakening the steel from the heat of the cutter.

A plate anchor shank is simple in its geometry, and given the tensile strength of the steel and the relevant dimensions, any engineering undergraduate can tell you at what point lateral loading will cause permanent deformation.

Destroying it in normal usage however is another matter; in normal linear pull a Rocna should endure loads beyond the breaking strength (let alone safe working load) of appropriately matched chain. During RINA pull testing, a Rocna 25 was hung up on something on the seabed and the solid steel fluke finally bent at just such a load, well in excess of the 5 tonne breaking load of the 10 mm G40/hi-test chain it might be used with. The anchor was even recording normal holding results over 6 tonnes without damage.

In this mode (pulling with the anchor in the correct orientation) an anchor's fluke should just not fail in the real world (the chain or something else should go first). If it does, there's a problem somewhere.
Old 23-03-2011, 05:50   #72

Has noboby noticed the bend is in the oppsite direction one would think
Old 23-03-2011, 06:00   #73

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Has noboby noticed the bend is in the oppsite direction one would think
I am not sure why one direction or the other would be expected?

It seems like it would depend on the direction of pull when the failure took place.
Old 23-03-2011, 06:38   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
A plate anchor shank is simple in its geometry, and given the tensile strength of the steel and the relevant dimensions, any engineering undergraduate can tell you at what point lateral loading will cause permanent deformation.
Tell us about your engineering qualifications so we can all be impressed!

Lancelot BSME Purdue University '69
MSNE U of Wisconsin '70
Old 23-03-2011, 07:03   #75

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Take the freaking anchor to a machine shop and they can straighten it on their hydralic press. Then have them either heat treat the steel shank or weld re-enforcement gussets onto that shank. Either way you will have your anchor back at much less cost then that of a new one.
Closed Thread