Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 17:05   #1

Boat: Cal 28
Bent danforth anchor - ideas how to fix?

Hi All,

Was anchored out over the weekend and encountered some pretty strong winds. I placed a 20 lb danforth at the bow initially. When the winds picked up, I placed a stern anchor out (30 lb Bruce) to prevent swinging which really helped improve the boat's motion. Unfortunately, over night, the wind shifted and caused the wind to come onto the boat's beam and due to the stern anchor preventing the swinging motion, put a perpendicular force onto the main anchor, and bent the danforth. FYI, the boat is a Cal 28, and both anchors anchor should be oversized for the boat.

Any ideas how to fix the danforth anchor without compromising the integrity further?

Also, any ideas how to improve stern anchoring? I woke up a few times to reset the anchor, but by the time I finally got some sleep, woke up to the wind on the beam and a bent anchor.

Thanks!

~Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bentanchor.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	60123  
Bowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:12   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Bent danforth anchor - ideas how to fix?

Just bend it back but you should have a HI-test. Oh, and don't be too quick to use a stern anchor. Crazy side loads. IMHO of course!
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:13   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Personally, I would scrap the bent anchor. Two anchors in a V pattern off the bow is a better way to go to reduce veering and provide greater holding power. The use of an anchor off the stern is usually only safe in light airs to keep the boat pointed into swells or a chop.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:18   #4

Guy - definitely learned my lesson with the stern anchor, will be using two off the bow next time in stronger winds.

Kettlewell - why scrap the anchor? Do you think the tensile strength has been decreased by the bending enough to really matter? Was thinking about heating it up with a blow torch before bending it back to not compromise the grain structure of the metal any further...

Ideas for fixing greatly appreciated! i.e. how to actually bend it back?
Old 29-04-2013, 17:42   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Talk about an incident demonstrating the holding power of a Danforth lol!

I only throw out a stern anchor in crowded anchorages where the current is going to shift 180 over night, with moderate winds. Your mileage may vary.

As far as bending it back, I don't think they are forged and the pull is generally straight on unless you anchor on rocky bottoms, so bending it back by without heat should be fine, but I think you'd be best served by consulting with the manufacturer. Hell, they might even feature you as a testament to the holding power of their product
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:56   #6

I think no matter how you straighten it you're going to lose

the galvanizing I think I would let on something flat and pounded back with a mall
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:59   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Personally, I would scrap the bent anchor.
+1.

One rule everyone should know is that if you put out a stern anchor, you will cause a 90 degree wind shift. And it will blow like stink until you bend a shank. This is how the wind gods work.

Replace that Danforth with an anchor you won't ever feel you need to augment with a second anchor.
Old 29-04-2013, 18:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhaus View Post
Guy - definitely learned my lesson with the stern anchor, will be using two off the bow next time in stronger winds.

Kettlewell - why scrap the anchor? Do you think the tensile strength has been decreased by the bending enough to really matter? Was thinking about heating it up with a blow torch before bending it back to not compromise the grain structure of the metal any further...

Ideas for fixing greatly appreciated! i.e. how to actually bend it back?

Do not heat it. You will reduce the strength of the steel and you will loose the galvanizing in the hot zone. Then you can scrap it.

Take it to a machine shop with a hydraulic or heavy mechanical bearing or pin press. An operator with a little bit of skill and 10 minutes can bend it back easily. Having access myself, I straightened my own 74# CQR where the flukes had been mangled by the PO when the boat T-Boned a wall. Some body shops or a tractor supply may also have such a press.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:24   #9

Any questions on how well a Danforth holds...? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:31   #10

Boat: Vagabond 42

Trash it. It will never set quite right agin...
I bent one in the rocks. Straightened it but it never set like it did.
We're only talking $75 to set a hook first time and sleep just a little better!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:39   #11

For me the Bruce would be the primary and a danforth a stern hook IF THAT.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:51   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Hi All,

Was anchored out over the weekend and encountered some pretty strong winds. I placed a 20 lb danforth at the bow initially. When the winds picked up, I placed a stern anchor out (30 lb Bruce) to prevent swinging which really helped improve the boat's motion. Unfortunately, over night, the wind shifted and caused the wind to come onto the boat's beam and due to the stern anchor preventing the swinging motion, put a perpendicular force onto the main anchor, and bent the danforth. FYI, the boat is a Cal 28, and both anchors anchor should be oversized for the boat.

Any ideas how to fix the danforth anchor without compromising the integrity further?

Also, any ideas how to improve stern anchoring? I woke up a few times to reset the anchor, but by the time I finally got some sleep, woke up to the wind on the beam and a bent anchor.

Thanks!

~Matt
Typical result of not following the 99% at one anchor rule. Use one anchor, but one good and big enough to hold the boat. Only use two anchors on waters where tides turn or in extreme weather. Keeps danger away and money in the wallet.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 19:13   #13

Thanks for all the replies, based on the responses, I think I'll end up replacing the anchor.

Regarding the stern anchor setup, I still have a couple of questions-

The danforth off the bow was plenty strong to hold the boat in those winds, but the boat was swinging ALOT which is why I put out the stern anchor (actually first time I did this).

Any other tips to prevent the large amount of swinging (~120 degrees) that my boat experiences at anchor pretty regularly? Does it have something to do with he fin keel setup?
Old 29-04-2013, 21:35   #14

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
The danforth off the bow was plenty strong to hold the boat in those winds, but the boat was swinging ALOT which is why I put out the stern anchor (actually first time I did this).

Any other tips to prevent the large amount of swinging (~120 degrees) that my boat experiences at anchor pretty regularly? Does it have something to do with he fin keel setup?
Use stern anchoring only, forget the bow..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 21:48   #15

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, based on the responses, I think I'll end up replacing the anchor.

Regarding the stern anchor setup, I still have a couple of questions-

Riding sail on the backstay. Better to have a delta shape, but I once made a tiny full batten sail that seemed to work well.

I've read about putting a weight or anchor on the bottom at the bow so that has to be dragged around, supposed to minimize sailing.

Pardeys use a bridle to aim their boat into the swell, might also limit sailing at anchor.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor