Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-04-2009, 18:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Beneteau dual bowrollers: What type of anchor?

Folks,

I had posted this at a Beneteau forum and received no responses - I hope there are some opinions here that'll help:

What type of anchor is the dual bowroller on the Beneteaus designed for? Layla is a 461 but I think bowroller is one of the "common" parts that Beneteau uses on a variety of models.

My issue is in the Bruce anchor on the stb side of my bowroller: It doesn't leave much room for anything else to be mounted on the port side. I just purchased a (very heavy ) Delta anchor and would like mount it on the port side as the secondary anchor for the upcoming Bahamas trip - I'll try to get creative and fit it in there somehow but another question is in using the same windlass for both anchors: I think there is enough room for both chains to go through the hawse pipe but wouldn't they get tangled up in the anchor locker? I am sure there is a trick to partitioning the locker so the two do not foul each other - Does anybody have any ideas on doing this gracefully?

Fair winds!

Sailndive

Old 21-04-2009, 18:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Personally I wouldn't carry 2 anchors on the bow at the same time, even if I could. I would also be very wary of running 2 chains through 1 hawsepipe.

Old 21-04-2009, 18:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Personally I wouldn't carry 2 anchors on the bow at the same time, even if I could. I would also be very wary of running 2 chains through 1 hawsepipe.
Any suggestions on a better or more practical approach? The Bruce anchor worked well where I have sailed so far but doesn't have a good reputation for the Abacos: Most people use two anchors (the current) and Delta anchors seem to work better over there.... Just trying to have the cake and eat it too...

On my previous boat (a 30 footer) the anchors were pretty manageable and I kept one in the lazarette... These anchors are 66 (Bruce) and 88 lbs (Delta) - a bit too much to be dragging around On a better note, I think, once set, we are going nowhere.....

Sailndive
Old 21-04-2009, 19:24   #4

Boat: Tayana 48
Having an 88 lb Delta myself, I am pretty confident you'll be satisfied with its holding power and versatility. If it were me, I'd use the Delta as my primary (on all-chain), and store the Bruce (perhaps in a lazzarette, or even at the mast). When needed, you could shackle 50' of chain and 250' of rode to the Bruce.
This would keep alot of weight off the bow, but still give you a powerful anchoring combo.
As for the anchor locker, many people have divided their locker by glassing in a marine-ply vertical divider that has been epoxy-coated. Make sure your primary chain has enough room to self-store without jamming. The secondary rode can be more-easily manipulated when bringing it up. The primary gets priority.
HIH,
John
Old 21-04-2009, 19:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
Having an 88 lb Delta myself, I am pretty confident you'll be satisfied with its holding power and versatility. If it were me, I'd use the Delta as my primary (on all-chain), and store the Bruce (perhaps in a lazzarette, or even at the mast). When needed, you could shackle 50' of chain and 250' of rode to the Bruce.
This would keep alot of weight off the bow, but still give you a powerful anchoring combo.
As for the anchor locker, many people have divided their locker by glassing in a marine-ply vertical divider that has been epoxy-coated. Make sure your primary chain has enough room to self-store without jamming. The secondary rode can be more-easily manipulated when bringing it up. The primary gets priority.
HIH,
John
Definitely something I'll consider - I like the idea of promoting the heavier Delta to primary... and I believe there is some marine grade plywood laying around from an older project; I think I may be able to work this out.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Sailndive
Old 21-04-2009, 20:50   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
A friend mounted a Bruce and a CQR side by side, and he said they fit well together. Of course, the CQR head hindges whereas the Delta does not. I've seen rollers less than an inch apart; if that is what you have you might have to mount a separate roller bracket farther apart.

I would have separate hawse pipes, and he did too. He led the all chain rode of one anchor to the gypsey, and the combination rode of the other to the capstan drum on the other side. Locker was split vertically down the middle

It would be nice not to have all that weight on the bow, but with anchors that size, if you can't easily deploy both when you need to, they aren't of as much value.
Old 22-04-2009, 01:54   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
I'd use the Delta as my primary (on all-chain), and store the Bruce (perhaps in a lazzarette,
John
I'm sittin on Johns foredeck on this one!

Deep six the Bruth to a lazarette and get the Delta in the primary spot and use your other bow roller for your snubber or... or...ummmm or something else sailorly...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 05:31   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Ditto on using the Delta as primary. The Bruce has a hard time if there's any grass down there, which there is in many Bahamas anchorages.

Maybe this isn't in the cards, since you already have the Bruce, but I've seen a number of boats that have their primary on the roller, and a Fortress or Danforth as the secondary, mounted vertically on the pulpit with a mounting bracket, and lashed down securely. That keeps it out of the way of the primary. The Fortress/Danforth would be an excellent secondary for a Bahamas mooring setup in reversing currents, since it's relatively light and easily handled.
Old 22-04-2009, 06:12   #9

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!... The Delta is definitely getting promoted to primary and I think a Fortress would be a nice backup - when I get around to purchasing one. For the upcoming trip in May, Bruce will have to be the secondary. I also think that I will go ahead and partition the anchor locker to -at least- be able to stow the rode and chain for the second anchor. As far as the hawse pipe goes, I'll have to study my options when I get back to Layla tomorrow

Fair winds to all!

Sailndive
Old 22-04-2009, 10:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!... The Delta is definitely getting promoted to primary and I think a Fortress would be a nice backup - when I get around to purchasing one. For the upcoming trip in May, Bruce will have to be the secondary. I also think that I will go ahead and partition the anchor locker to -at least- be able to stow the rode and chain for the second anchor. As far as the hawse pipe goes, I'll have to study my options when I get back to Layla tomorrow

Fair winds to all!

Sailndive
Occasionally you will find a great deal on a used fortress on ebay. You can set up a fairly specific search that will alert you when one in your size range becomes available. Of course checking the CF Classified section is mandatory!

My ideal setup for cruising would include a big delta primary on the bow, plus 2 fortresses in brackets on the bow and stern pulpits.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Occasionally you will find a great deal on a used fortress on ebay. You can set up a fairly specific search that will alert you when one in your size range becomes available. Of course checking the CF Classified section is mandatory!
Good advice about the alerts - hadn't thought about that! Have already been looking at eBay, will be sure to keep an eye on the CF as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
My ideal setup for cruising would include a big delta primary on the bow, plus 2 fortresses in brackets on the bow and stern pulpits.
Would you have the stern and bow Fortresses the same size?

Thanks!

Sailndive
Old 22-04-2009, 11:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post

Would you have the stern and bow Fortresses the same size?

Thanks!

Sailndive
Great question. I think it depends on the most frequent use for each, and whether or not I have a fourth storm anchor stored somewhere.. My most frequent use for the bow Fortress would be as a lunch hook and overnight anchor when I am reasonably certain there will be no bad conditions, and I would size it accordingly. The stern anchor would be most frequently used as a stern anchor, so it would have to be big enough to serve as a primary, which might also qualify it as a storm anchor.

So I would probably have a smaller Fortress forward and a bigger one aft.

An additional use for the stern Fortress is an "emergency brake" when navigating in close quarters in the event of lost power or steering.

Tags
anchor, beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: