Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 03:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Balancing the boat with more chain.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Old Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
... A light end boat will hobby-horse with considerably less amplitude, but at higher frequency, while a heavy end boat can hobby-horse with an amplitude great enough to take water over the bows and up the stern ...
Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 13:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Mass in motion has inertia, more mass has more inertia.

So as the bow rises to a wave the weight in the bow accelerates upwards, builds inertia, wave passes but bow continues moving upwards until gravity overcomes the inertia and the bow starts moving down again. Acceleration of gravity without the buoyancy of the water the bow drops and accelerates. Bow hits trough but the inertia of the weight pushes the bow down into the water until the buoyancy overcomes the inertia, bow starts to rise again.

Inertia is the mass times the square of the distance to the center of rotation so moving mass farther from the center of the boat increases the inertia a lot.

Add weight in the stern and it compliments this process.
If anyone can be bothered with the physics, it's called the "polar moment of inertia". It's the same reason old rear engine VW Beetles would go off a wet road tail first. (and I believe the Porsche 911 but I haven driven one)
A dumbbell has a high polar moment of inertia if you try to twist it and a shot put ball has a low polar moment of inertia if you twist it in your hand.
Weight in the ends is dumb...bell.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 13:42   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

☺ I learn something new every day.

Reading this thread, I see that hobbyhorsing is a slow, continuous sine wave if effort is exerted on the ends.

I'd thought it to be a fast sine wave motion. I personally would find that more uncomfortable, but, then, I have one of the former (or at least I presume I do, as much weight as we have on both ends of our 44,000 pounds)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 14:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Im in the same position, and do not have any choice but to weight the bow, however as I don't yet have a windlass mounted, it, it's battery and chain I think will "fix" my trim.
It's a displacement thing obviously, to drop the stern 6" takes a lot of weight as the stern is so wide, you have to displace a whole lot of water to get that 6" drop, but to drop the bow 6" due to it's much lower surface area isn't going to take all that much weight.

Lots of "stuff" you really have to put on the stern, davits, Solar panels, RIB, in my case a generator pretty much can't go forward.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Im in the same position, and do not have any choice but to weight the bow, however as I don't yet have a windlass mounted, it, it's battery and chain I think will "fix" my trim.
It's a displacement thing obviously, to drop the stern 6" takes a lot of weight as the stern is so wide, you have to displace a whole lot of water to get that 6" drop, but to drop the bow 6" due to it's much lower surface area isn't going to take all that much weight.

Lots of "stuff" you really have to put on the stern, davits, Solar panels, RIB, in my case a generator pretty much can't go forward.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Which is why some yachts have their lead ballast fitted with more weight towards the front of the keel.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote