Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 16:03   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Attaching Two Lengths of Chain ?

I have two completely separate chain and nylon rodes. I would like to add 75' of 3/8 HT to one of them (currently 50' chain, 270 nylon).

Is there a foolproof way to do this, and not have it be the "weak link"? It would need to work in my windlass.

Thanks.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 17:54   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
A link will work on the windlass but is less strong than chain.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:43   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I know some have welded hammer links in/some weld stainless steel links...I would not.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:47   #4

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
I joined my with one of those split links that you hammer together, works great through the gypsy, 10mm, but it is getting a bit rusty, I will treat it with rust eater and cold galvanising, and keep an eye on it, very easy to replace!
Keith.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
I joined my with one of those split links that you hammer together, works great through the gypsy, 10mm, but it is getting a bit rusty, I will treat it with rust eater and cold galvanising, and keep an eye on it, very easy to replace!
Keith.
I have been doing the same as Keith posted above, but I also found that the links were of poorer quality than my chain. I now attach shots of chain with high grade US shackles that function with a mild "hiccup" over my windlass gypsy. The Asian, mostly Chinese, metals that flood the market at half the expense don't seem to perform as well and stainless is pretty, but not of the same strength as galvanized. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Yeah, we have one stainless steel you bash together at the 50 meter mark. It goes through the gypsie fine. In stronger winds we stop just past the link and cover it with a bit of chain shackeled either side of the join, just as a safety. We sleep better at night

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, we have one stainless steel you bash together at the 50 meter mark. It goes through the gypsie fine. In stronger winds we stop just past the link and cover it with a bit of chain shackeled either side of the join, just as a safety. We sleep better at night

Mark
Mark,

Every now and then you read something----and a light comes on :
Reading your safety comment above clued me in on something I saw on a boat a while back.
The chain was fitted with a piece of steel channel spanning the joining link, with a bolt with nut and washer thru each link on either side, and thru the channel.
It came over the bow roller with caution, and was quickly removed before getting to the gypsy. Neat
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Mark,

Every now and then you read something----and a light comes on :
Reading your safety comment above clued me in on something I saw on a boat a while back.
The chain was fitted with a piece of steel channel spanning the joining link, with a bolt with nut and washer thru each link on either side, and thru the channel.
It came over the bow roller with caution, and was quickly removed before getting to the gypsy. Neat
How quick is quickly, same as the length of a piece of string?
Sounds like a lot of trouble to me!

When the wind is blowing and the current flowing, time is essential.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Del,

Everything, in it's time and place

I would think with the chain on the bottom, wind blowing and current flowing, he slept better knowing the channel wasn't chafing away. :
Old 10-04-2010, 15:13   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

Well, we've used the "hammer together" type joining links for many years, and so far have not had any issues. The ones that West Marine sold had a higher rating than BBB chain, but the s/s ones sold here in Oz are undoubtedly Chinese in origin and have no marked rating. When one regalvanizes the chain, the joining links stop being rusty!

Some chain vendors can do welded joining links, but we've not had any experience with them. Obviously one is better off with one continuous length of chain, but fiscal realities have led us to using the joiners. The high test joining shackles mentioned above look great, but I doubt if they would work going through our Maxwell 1500VWC windlass... the chain pipe just barely passes our short-link 10 mm chain without such lumps to deal with!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake Macquarie NSW Oz
Old 10-04-2010, 16:28   #11

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Save a buck, loose the boat?

Unless the two pieces of chain are new.. start with one new piece.

If you have to do it, the link should be welded and the same strength as the chain.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 16:48   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Sounds like I need to buy yet another chain/rode.

Thank you all for the guidance.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 16:55   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
The split link is a poor choice (for strength) and MarkJ's solution is nice.

Hence a question to MarkJ - do you happen to remember what size shackles do you use for this? Asking because in my 10 mm (approx 3/8) chain I can only use a 12 mm shackle at the end link - I cannot push the pin in the middle of the chain! So I would have to go with a 10 mm shackle (probably an expensive Wichard to make up for the loss in size).

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 17:40   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

....... The high test joining shackles mentioned above look great, but I doubt if they would work going through our Maxwell 1500VWC windlass... the chain pipe just barely passes our short-link 10 mm chain without such lumps to deal with!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake Macquarie NSW Oz
'point well advised,- my earlier mention of the use of these shackles was with my manual Simpson-Lawrence that can accomodate the passage of the shackles over an open gypsy with my manual presence and timing. Another case of compromise with technology. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 18:02   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The split link is a poor choice (for strength) and MarkJ's solution is nice.

barnie
G'Day All,

Well, I've seen/heard this sort of statement for years, and have never heard first hand of anyone's chain breaking at one of the joins. Further, if one looks at the West Marine catalog (only reference material I have on board) the SWL for 3/8"BBB chain is 2650 lbs, and the SWL for their brand of connecting link is 2750 lbs. So, please explain to me why I should be afraid of using them? And can anyone refer me to a verified instance of one breaking in the cruising arena?

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake Macquarie, NSW Oz