Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2010, 02:30   #16

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I use a 25 lb Manson supreme as the second anchor on my 30 footer. Primary is a 35 lb CCR.

I like the Manson. easy to handle, although a bit bulky to stow when not in use.
This is pretty much my experience. Have a 25 ld Manson and a 15 kg Bruce. The Bruce lives on the bow because of size (smaller dimensions), but from my reading of various test results I think the slightly lighter Manson is the better anchor. Works fine w/o a windlass.

My boat is 31', ~5,000 lds. I figure the anchor is good to ~40 kts without high shock loads. There is some pretty good shelter around here. I go to some lengths to avoid exposed conditions in such winds, but the anchor seems a reasonable choice for the sailing style & boat you describe.

There will be lots of opinions on this ... all valid in particular settings.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 04:52   #17

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Thanks Northeaster. I knew they had them at Hamiltons but haven't pulled the trigger yet on a purchase. I'm currently putting a new 3YM30 in so the budget is somewhat stretched, shall we say I had been looking at the Rocna mostly because the shank isn't so wide and it may fit better on my bow. I think that either makes a very fine anchor.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 06:26   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8
The CQR came with the boat and was set up on the windlass. No other reason. Where I've had room for 6 to 1 scope, the CQR has held very well, so I saw no need to change.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 06:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The CQR came with the boat and was set up on the windlass. No other reason. Where I've had room for 6 to 1 scope, the CQR has held very well, so I saw no need to change.
Gotcha. I'm sort of in the same situation, though there are two things that annoy me a little bit about the CQR, and I was bored one day so I started to poke around, and now I have it in my head that I really "need" to change anchors. I'm sure you know how that goes.

We have a 60lb CQR as our primary. I've never had a problem with it holding or dragging. And she's held us through some reasonably snotty stuff over the years, though admittedly in good-holding harbors. Several times she's actually held us when we were the anchor boat in relatively large rafts and we've had some blows come through. So from that perspective, once we get her down and set, we really have had fantastic experience with the CQR.

That said, she's finicky to set. We really have to be patient, and be prepared to pull her up and start over, which we've done on several occasions. That's a bit of a pain. Also, she won't self launch with our setup, which means I have to manhandle the anchor overboard. Not the hugest deal, but not desireable.

This led me to toy around with getting a 73lb Delta, mostly because they self launch, they set easily, they supposedly have more holding power than the CQR and, relatively speaking, they are not that expensive. So, I started to research. And then, of course, I learned that the next generation anchors (Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade) perform materially better than the plows. And of course, they are just about twice as expensive. Not quite, but enough more that now it's a decision, rather than a "what the heck I'll give the Delta a go and see what happens."

All that leads me full circle to thinking that I'll stick with the CQR for a little bit, modify our procedure for launching to make that process a little easier, and see how annoyed I get early in the season with her difficulty in setting. Then I'll make my decision. It's just hard to spend the better part of a $1,000 on a new anchor when the one you have holds like a champ once you get her set. I sleep awfully well once I get our CQR down and set, which is no small benefit. But, if anyone wants to buy a 60lb CQR in excellent condition and well tested, that could make my decision a little easier . . .
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
I have a 15lb supreme on my 3000lb 25 foot trailer sailer. I had a modified danforth which was heavier than this. On one occasion, the boat was right on the beach with the danforth about 60 feet out in shallow water (1 or 2 feet) on a sand bottom. I wanted to drag the boat off the shore to head out a bit further so I stood on the bow and pulled on the anchor rope to pull the boat out to the anchor. Instead I ended up with the anchor in my hand and the boat in the same spot. The daforth just dragged right along the sand.

I know the importance of good anchor holding and wanted a new anchor right away. After researching anchors I settled on a Supreme. I have watched the anchor set after placing it at any angle at it sets within its own length every time. This is an excellent anchor and I get a good nights rest knowing it wont drag.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote