Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The boat was originally set up with an 80lb plow. So the Rocna is only one size up from that. The yacht was purpose built to sail a couple around the world so things like cleats are very oversized compared to a normal production boat. The bow roller did not need any modification.
That is H U G E. I don't know if that will fit or not. I will try to agree with the supplier to let me try one in the bow roller first.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:02   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That is H U G E..
That's what all the girls say.
The wide-angle lens make it look a bit bigger than it is, but it is a big anchor.
When its blowing 50k I would not swap it for something smaller.
I think people who are not used to living at anchor underestimate the importance of a secure anchor. there has been an average of one cruising sailor I know drag and do damage every year. The last two I had dinner on their yacht the night before they dragged (one hit 2 fishing boats sank them both and put some holes in their 50 foot cat. The last one broke their rudder after hitting rocks ironically we spent dinner the night before discussing anchors)
Anchors are important
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
That's what all the girls say.
The wide-angle lens make it look a bit bigger than it is, but it is a big anchor.
When its blowing 50k I would not swap it for something smaller.
I think people who are not used to living at anchor underestimate the importance of a secure anchor. there has been an average of one cruising sailor I know drag and do damage every year. The last two I had dinner on their yacht the night before they dragged (one hit 2 fishing boats sank them both and put some holes in their 50 foot cat. The last one broke their rudder after hitting rocks ironically we spent dinner the night before discussing anchors)
Anchors are important
Well, like I said, the worst moments I ever had in a few decades of sailing were all anchors dragging in the middle of the night.

Besides that, we are very much anchoring-out kind of people, avoiding marinas whenever we can. And now we have a boat which has too much draft (7'6") to tuck into the kind of sheltered coves we might otherwise look for.

I got caught in a storm recently in the U.S. -- not on my own boat -- as night was falling, and we couldn't get into the anchorage at all -- too dangerous. We had no choice but to drop the anchor in the ICW and ride it out in a fairly unsheltered place. Off a lee shore. We had 100 feet of chain out (all there was) and a Spade anchor. The chain was bar-tight -- no catenary at all. We were forced to get in fairly close to that lee shore for the sake of a decent scope. It was pretty scary; I spent most of a very uncomfortable night sitting in the cockpit. If we had had more chain, we would have had safer choices for where to anchor. By the way, the anchor didn't budge, even after a 180 degree wind shift. More kudos for the Spade.

All of this adds up to needing a mongo anchor and a whole lot of strong chain. I think we will try to fit either the 100# Manson or the 55kg Rocna on our bow and take it from there. The Rocna supplier did agree that we could return the 55kg one and swap it out for the 40kg one paying only one way of freight, in case it doesn't fit or we don't like it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:59   #34

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Wise women judge a man by the size of his anchor
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 13:28   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Wise women judge a man by the size of his anchor
Thanks, It is a relief that is the criteria wise women use.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor