Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 23:10   #1786

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anchors - Bigger is Better ?

Chris,

The plan depends a whole lot on how deep one has anchored. In over 50 ft., it is hard to hand over hand the chain.

Ann
Old 15-08-2015, 00:15   #1787

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Actually, Charlie,

Most Sydney-siders seem to prefer moorings, don't you think? especially with all the anchoring restrictions in Port Jackson?

I do agree some boats around there, let's include Botany Bay and Pittwater, too, seem to not have much practice anchoring, and they gotta learn somewhere.

One is free to ignore the ones who are getting it wrong.

If what you're on about is a CF member who uses quite a large Mantus anchor, I bet you have to agree it sets pretty well. Maybe it is that "whatever size is recommended for the boat" may not really be adequate for conditions all over the world, or you may have a one-off and have to make your own recommendations. Of course, as you suggest, it is wise to match the windlass capacity to the anchor/chain combination you want to fit, and that in turn depends on what depths of water you want to be prepared to anchor in. So you might well question, "recommended by whom? for what use?" and so on. The solution can be a moving target, so to speak.

Cheers,

Ann
wow - no idea who you are suggesting but the idiot who did the anchor jig next to me after insisting (to no avail) that i up-anchor to give him more space for his idiotic gyrations, may or may not be a member of the forum, I've no idea - bet he wouldnt own up to it.
As far as choosing an anchor goes - I've never, ever bought one - all the boats i've owned came to me already equipped and I've always found a way to make the gear work pretty well - another reason bigger is not better - experience is better.
Port Jackson, as you point out, is a terrible place to try and anchor - take her advice folks, dont come here, you'll inevitably be 'runed'
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:30   #1788

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
This is a bit off topic . . . But usually the easiest way is using port and starboard "puller lines" lead to your primary (Genoa) cockpit winches. These are usually your most powerful winches. You tie (or shackle or chain hook) one to the chain at the bow and winch it in as far as it will go, and then tie the other line at the bow and winch it in, and repeat.

My windless once "broke" when I was single handing and anchored in 60' of water. I did the above and had no problem getting the anchor up relatively quickly. I later discovered I simply had forgotten to turn on the windless circuit breaker and it was working perfectly fine when I did.
LOL. Great story. Makes me feel better about my bonehead moves if even you can do silly stuff like that.
Old 15-08-2015, 09:33   #1789

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Chris,

The plan depends a whole lot on how deep one has anchored. In over 50 ft., it is hard to hand over hand the chain.

Ann
You are absolutely right (as usual). I find 20m depth in light wind or motoring forward to be just fine, but I'm only in a 35' boat with G4 chain. That's probably my limit, though. Your primary winch method would then work just fine (or the manual mode on the windlass and a lot of patience.
Old 15-08-2015, 10:30   #1790
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
So, we've got a ginormous anchor, titanic chain, and a windlass to match....electric, and manual backup. It goes on the fritz, and nearly all the chain is out. How to get it back up again? With and without a halyard winch, with and without a handy billy?
It's not impossible, but it takes a while. It happened to us last season when we had to bring up our 45kg Ultra along with 200ft of chain in 60ft depth. We brought up 15ft at a time winching it up manually using our primary winch, following an electrical fire.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 13:34   #1791

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's not impossible, but it takes a while. It happened to us last season when we had to bring up our 45kg Ultra along with 200ft of chain in 60ft depth. We brought up 15ft at a time winching it up manually using our primary winch, following an electrical fire.
It's neat to have done it "in anger", and know you can do it again. When we did it, we used only one line and one winch, but I think evans' 2 line method may be better......

Ann
Old 15-08-2015, 14:16   #1792

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Wow Ken, nothing scarier that a fire on board, what happened?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:22   #1793
Marine Service Provider

Something to consider in the bigger is better discussion. Bigger can refer to Surface area of the fluke as well as overall weight. Surface area with an anchor that has a concave surface is very important, more so then weight. If it is a properly made anchor it will use this surface area to hold in addition to balanced weight on the tip of the fluke. At least 50% of the total weight of the anchor should be balanced on/over the tip of the fluke to ensure proper penetration when setting, and to make sure it stays set. So bigger is sometimes better but heavier is not always better.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Boss, Bugel, fortress, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, rocna