Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 13:27   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Anchors and Yachts

So I’m In Palm Beach drooling at some of the yachts in the area. I’m super impressed with the $1-5 million yachts, with these teeny tiny anchors on the bows. They look very nice on the bow and make a nice looking package with their polished stainless steel. It’s just that these 100’+ yachts have a smaller anchor than my smaller backup anchor on my 43’ sailboat. I have to admit that my anchors are just galvanized steel and are much lower class than their anchors.

I must keep this in mind when deciding to anchor near one of these yachts.

Btw- has anyone ever been invited over for sundowners on one of Hesse when us anchored? I never have, but then I’m just well now for sailor trash
Old 11-03-2018, 13:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anchors and Yachts

One time, had a large motor vessel ask Jim for help with his HF radio--an acquaintance had told him about Jim's radio skills.

Later, we were invited to their home (not the boat) for dinner. So it wasn't awful, and we are now friends with someone from "the other side"....

Another time, when it was our 30 footer, we were invited for drinks at a motor yacht. They sent their son with their dinghy to bring us. Gave us our drinks--with ice in them--and proceeded to pump Jim about local anchorages, then sent us home, via the son, precisely an hour later.

And, another time, we were offered steaks by a motor vessel whose fridge/freezer quit working...felt quite lucky, we did.

But, usually their anchors are for show, and unless you're a ways off the beaten path--they seem to prefer marina to marina, and mega yacht to mega yacht.

Being amongst one's own kind is pretty frequent.

Ann
Old 11-03-2018, 13:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchors and Yachts

We keep telling ya bout Hunters... butcha jest wont listen

Just kidding Don..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 14:18   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We keep telling ya bout Hunters... butcha jest wont listen

Just kidding Don..
What, what ........... I can’t hear you as I only have Sprint cell service.

But I’ve had more Hunter people talk o me than those “fancy” boats. Sailor trash likes other sailor trash
Old 11-03-2018, 14:45   #5
cruiser

We’ve actually been invited over many times, nice people on those larger yachts.

Just curious, how many times have you invited the motor yacht people over to your Hunter? You know, it works both ways and the wealth are very good at reading body language and attitude.
OrinocoFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 15:25   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Folks shouldn't try to compare the life of those living on Palm Beach with the rest of society or the world.

I was at a wedding there in 1973.

The church was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen at that point in my life and I didn't notice that sort of thing back then. I now believe it must have been a basilica church if memory serves.

I drove a friend there whose brother had attended William and Mary College. He was an athlete/farmer that met this girl from there.

This is how the improbable event occurred for me.

I actually thought someone must have cut the lawns there with scissors at the time............

The reception was at a Yacht Club. The boats there for me then were indescribable.

My boat at the time was a 14' aluminum boat with a 25 hp Evinrude.

As for the anchors, these folks would/will simply hire someone to use the engine (s) to hold the boat in place if necessary while they slept, drank, dined, or hung out etc.....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 15:52   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Bored are ya? OK… me to .

Yup, those tiny anchors are just for show, and to be legal. But it’s not just the mega yacht crowd. Walk any marina and you’ll see lots of tiny paperclips that pass for anchors.

Fact is, most people don’t anchor. And of those that do, many will only be out in good weather, staying nearby, for short periods.

Also depends on where you are. I recall looking at cruising sailboats along the Lake Michigan south-west coast. Few boats had anchors on their bows, and many didn’t even have rollers. Talking with the broker, he said it was b/c there are few places to anchor nearby, so most boats daysail or marina hop (or rarely go anywhere). No point having a big anchor that you’re never going to use.
Old 11-03-2018, 16:24   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I went to a birthday party at the Meadow Club in Southhampton, NY a few years ago. During the "cocktail hour" I struck up a conversation with a guy and along the way mentioned that I lived on my boat. He revealed that he also owned a boat but could never live on it, it was much too small. I asked how long it was and I don't remember the response but it was over 125' feet.

Turned out later that he and his wife owned "six or seven homes, not sure at the current moment".

All that said, he was an exceedingly nice fellow and I enjoyed his company immensely. Everything is relative when it comes to life's circumstances and expectations.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 17:59   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

It's funny that you started this thread today Don. I'm sitting in Nassau and just looked at the big MOBO next to me and his tiny anchor. I can't believe it will hold in anything over 20 knots, but that's his problem. Why I think they don't worry about it though is the boat is fully crewed and if it drags, they handle it.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:29   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm anchored next to this guy at the moment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Victory_(yacht)

He hasn't asked me over for drinks yet, I'm sure the invites on the way.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 15:55   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Anchors and Yachts

Down the dock from me is a nice older Swan with a tiny stainless Spade and stainless chain. I asked the owner if he found it to be true that the stainless chain dropped into the chain locker with less pyramiding. He replied that he didn’t know. He only had 6’ of stainless so it would look nice on his fore deck, the rest was galvanized. But he said he never really tried it because he had never anchored in the 6 years he had owned the boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:50   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Down the dock from me is a nice older Swan with a tiny stainless Spade and stainless chain. I asked the owner if he found it to be true that the stainless chain dropped into the chain locker with less pyramiding. He replied that he didn’t know. He only had 6’ of stainless so it would look nice on his fore deck, the rest was galvanized. But he said he never really tried it because he had never anchored in the 6 years he had owned the boat.
Do the sails work?
Old 12-03-2018, 17:01   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a 15# Bruce on my 12’ dingy. And 125# Mantus on the big boat.

Now I know why no one talks to me.

Anchor envy, mines bigger!
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 17:27   #14

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Bored are ya? OK… me to .

Also depends on where you are. I recall looking at cruising sailboats along the Lake Michigan south-west coast. Few boats had anchors on their bows, and many didn’t even have rollers. Talking with the broker, he said it was b/c there are few places to anchor nearby, so most boats daysail or marina hop (or rarely go anywhere). No point having a big anchor that you’re never going to use.
That's pretty close on the SW coast of Lake Michigan. Funny thing, many boat owners are teachers, as they have the summers off, and they will take off for a week, or a month.. Many people harbor hop, and have reciprocal transient slip rates. Not many people use their anchors, with the exception of dropping the hook on a calm day to swim off a beach, or to spend the night in a quiet harbor.
Old 12-03-2018, 18:50   #15

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Do the sails work?
Sails....you mean it has sails ?
Wondered what that stick thingy was for.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, yacht