Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 08:55   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Anchors 4 Kelp, Weed, & Rock: What do you prefer to use & why?

So... it seems that the Achilles Heel of many anchors, including the New Gen. ones, is a bottom thick with weeds, or kelp. And or, a combination of same overtop of rocky bottoms. Which said large slabs & boulders truly constitute the sea floor in some areas. Sometimes being quite craggy, & snag prone, while in other locales, most of the rocks are worn smooth like old pebbles in a stream. Albeit being much, much larger in size.

Thus I'm curious as to what anchors folks prefer to use in such circumstances, & why. Including as well, what your 2nd (or 3rd) choice(s) for such would be? And again, why? Plus, have you trialed your choice(s) much in such bottoms, especially when the weather turned has foul? If so, under what conditions, & with what type of rode?
Also, other than a tidal shift that caused the rode to wrap the exposed fluke, what do you reckon would cause or has caused, said anchor(s)/anchor types to break free?

Comments on say a Northill vs. a Luke of the same weight? Meaning which one do you prefer? And also please share any keenly insightful thoughts on the performance of either or both in such bottoms? As any & all of the above info, & answers to the posed questions would surely be appreciated.

BTW: The "Luke" anchor to which I'm referring needn't be a name brand Luke, but rather any similarly patterned fisherman or "kedge" qualifies. And regarding "Northills", the anchor needn't be one of the original folding, stainless types, as designed & made for US Navy PBY's. Anything of a similar pattern, including ones made of mild steel & galvanized, is close enough.

And if you've got a rock/weed anchor which you feel is outstanding, & is in keeping with the thread's theme, by all means, post some pics, & tell us a story or two about your perfect "weed eater"

EDIT: Anyone ever weld up their own Northill? And if so what'd you use for steel, & did you test it for micro cracking & such, prior to reaching for the torch?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:27   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Anchors 4 Kelp, Weed, & Rock: What do you prefer to use & why?

my holds in everything bruce is just fine for the jobs... with all chain rode i do well in windy anchorages with and without fetch and choppy waters. even does well in katabatic winds experienced in la cruz and barra de navidad. . we have rocky anchorages in mexico-- continuation of land mass formation. some anchorages are protected from open ocean some not ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:07   #3
cruiser

We switched to using an oversized Ultra specifically for the weed, grass and rocky bottoms we encounter.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:09   #4

I always thought the Bulwagga was a pretty interesting design, which if I understand correctly takes it's name from the Bulwagga Bay of Lake Champlain, a spot notorious for having a weedy bottom. I believe it was out of production for a while but looks like it's back.

Bulwagga Anchors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	150785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	150786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	150787  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

45lb Manson Supreme with 5/16" chain. Never dragged in any bottom, though sand over hardpan is most dicey. Anchored in rocks and kelp a-plenty, with huge tides and katabatic winds.
Old 27-06-2017, 10:25   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Since filming/posting this video, I have now used the Spade anchor in this exact location 6+ times. It set immediately each time. I feel confident that the Spade works better in this seabed than my Manson Supreme.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:26   #7

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I've welded up my anchor, not a Northill, but a Rocna copy. Used mild steel, A36, a standard and very common steel for welded structure. It was scrap metal, cost nothing. Tom Colvin made his own anchors and as I recall they were Northill design.

If working with mild steel there is no need to look for micro cracking. These steels are designed for welded structure, with a large difference between yield and ultimate strength. This means they can be deformed a lot before they crack, and are thus able to easily absorb the stresses which welding creates. I would not be concerned about micro cracking unless you were working with high strength steels. If you want to build an anchor and want to use higher strength materials than mild steel you might want to look at the HSLA (high strength low alloy) steels. They are easily weldable and show significant strength increase over A36.

If you really care about saving weight you can weld up an anchor in one of the weldable and heat treatable alloys. After welding with these you can have the anchor hardened and tempered. That will be one hell of a strong anchor. 4130 is an alloy specifically designed for welded structure and will heat treat to well over 200K PSI. If tempered to the 150K PSI range it will be quite tough and strong as hell.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

The world has moved to plow type anchors, although many of us manage with the CQRs and Danforth types we've already got. Anchoring on kelp is next to impossible and environmentally destructive. If you're on a rock bottom, setting a buoyed tripping line is essential. If the anchor has snagged a deep crack or other chink in the rock, you're not going to be able to break it out in the "rode up and down" method without breaking the anchor, it's got to come out "backwards"

Good luck

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:22   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

One flaw of the northhills and luke is in anchoring in locations with tidal currents and winds opposite each other the boat will tend to sail/circle around the anchor. This wraps the rode around the lazy fluke, which will be BAD. For other locations, Northhills work well. That is a critical flaw in the luke/northhill anchors.

Mind you I'm never had an issue with the Bruce in heavy weeds. I've not anchored in kelp or rock yet.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:32   #10

Boat: Pearson

a forged grapnel, at least 20' chain, it tells no lies.
Old 28-06-2017, 09:35   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Uncivilized,

Since installing a 99lb steel Spade as our primary bower the beginning of this year, we have only anchored in thick kelp twice. Both times it set quickly and held against our typical final set procedure of full backdown for a minute or more [with anchor bridle deployed; ~1k lbs bollard pull with 22" 3 blade prop- estimated, not measured.]

From experience in the S Pac [on different vessels] I also keep a 100lb Luke [or perhaps it is a 110lb?] I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a rock pic if the Spade demonstrated unreliability- but with caution regarding the potential for fouling the lazy fluke.

More first hand experience in heavy kelp at high latitudes is well documented on Attainable Adventure Cruising.

Following is an excerpt from the above reference:

Quote:
...We have anchored hundreds of times from the Bahamas to Greenland since buying our first SPADE in 2002.

We have never dragged a SPADE once set, and we have only failed to get a SPADE to set half a dozen times...

KELP
We have first hand experience using the SPADE [many times in Greenland, Iceland, etc.] in very thick kelp with great success. It just burrows through to the bottom, pretty much no matter how thick the weed.
In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-06-2017, 10:32   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Since filming/posting this video, I have now used the Spade anchor in this exact location 6+ times. It set immediately each time. I feel confident that the Spade works better in this seabed than my Manson Supreme.

Steve

Actually, it's this video that is driving our decision to acquire a big Spade for our main anchor, so should we ever meet, first pint's on me.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:33   #13

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
... Anchoring on kelp is next to impossible and environmentally destructive. ...
Kelp has to be the most challenging. There's a perfect little bay I visited once, kelp from end to end, but it's a beautiful, narrow, sheltered, deserted spot so I dropped the CQR. Five times we slid right out of the bay like I hadn't even dropped the hook (had to sail back in - engineless in those far-off days); sixth time I dropped a tiny little rusted fisherman anchor and we stayed there about a week, no problem.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:04   #14

A Bruce is what I would use. Probable only circumstance though...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:05   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Actually, it's this video that is driving our decision to acquire a big Spade for our main anchor, so should we ever meet, first pint's on me.
x2 for me also!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor