I have just looked at my insurance
bill for the coming year and have decided its robbery and have decided to forgo it in the future. $2500 per year is almost 8% of the value of the boat. This just isnt honest. I live on the South Texas
coast where the last "real" hurricane
to come ashore here was over 30 years ago, "Celia" in 1976. Two years ago my insurance
on a 44' Bruce Roberts
worth $80,000 was $700 a year. This year I paid $2500 for a 36' Gulfstar
worth $35,000. Its all because some huricanes devastated Florida
and Louisana two years ago. They want me to pay for their losses in other areas.
So now I am going to anchor
out, or in , or haul before a huricane comes ashore...if ever.
The question is HOW.
I have three choices:
1.) I can tie to either side of a canal with three lines each side and maybe an anchor
off the bow. The canal is 6' deep (boat is 3.5' draft) and 60 feet wide. It is off a cove that is off Corpous Christi Bay which is protected by barrier islands. Its probably one of the best hurricane
holes in Texas
. The surge in here form even a BIG huricane would probably not exceed 15 feet. The disadvantage here is the other boats in the canal might break loose and then all my skills with lines would be wasted.
2) I can take her out in the cove and anchor with a 45 pound CQR
burried ashore on a spoil island with another 45 pound CQR
of the stern to keep her from swinging on to the spoil island. I would have 3/8" chain and 7/8 anchor lines. Of course I could go into the middle of the cove with one anchor maybe a 75 pound CQR or Danforth (mud bottom) and let it swing. The problem with the cove is a lot of people use this area when a huricane threatens and I would be dependant upon their good anchoring
skills to keep them from draging on to me in the storm.
3) I can take her to the yard and have her hauled out and blocked for a week. The cost of this would be about $500 round trip so I could do it 5 times a season for what I am paying for insurance. The chance of having to do it once a year is unlikely. The yard where she would be blocked is subject to a 15' surge as well so it might not be safe there if it was floated off the blocks.
Are there other options? Which of these looks best?