Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 11:46   #1

Anchoring Around Two Harbors , Catalina

Does anyone have any information regarding anchoring depths around Two Harbors, Catalina
LostCoastGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 13:12   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Anchoring Around Two Harbors , Catalina

I have anchored there, but I don't recommend it.

First the waters outside of the bouys are deep. I dropped my hook in 80' of water off of 4th of July cove and had 300' of rode out. It held ok, but winds were light. I wouldn't want to be anchored in 20+ kt winds. Secondly the swell runs crosswise to the wind, so it is rolly.

That is why the moorings (which aren't that expensive- about $25/night) have fore and aft ties to face you into the swells, irrespective of the wind.

The cove on the back side of the Two Harbors isthmus is quieter and you can anchor in shallower water. But it is a long sail around to get there.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:02   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Not all of the small coves have moorings, although the ones near Avalon or Two Harbors do on the east side of the island. I have some favorites, that I'm not advertising, about midway between the two. They will only hold a couple boats, though. But, seriously, ask yourself this: "Why do I need proximity to these two hotspots?". Santa Barbara Island is not too far away, and the Channel Islands are much more wild and beautiful. Bring you own booze, tunes and party people and go somewhere else. Or, on second thought, stay in the vicinity of Two Harbors and leave the beautiful, isolated anchorages for those of us who wish the isolation and quiet.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:32   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Two Harbors is the "town" with Catalina Harbor on the south (toward the open Pacific) and Isthmus Cove on the North (toward the mainland). I am guessing you are asking about Isthmus Cove. There is a small area of shallower water in front of the camp ground known as Little Fisherman's Cove with depths from the beach sloping to about 60' and then dropping off more sharply to 90' or more. Larger vessels anchor between the reef extending out from Bird Rock and the mooring field in 100-120' of depth. I've been told it may be foul with old anchors and chains. There is also a small spot to anchor at Emerald Bay close to Indian Rock in 6-10' (room for one, anchor bow and stern as it is tight with moorings and rocks). The cruising guide Charlie's Charts has good information on anchorages in the area. http://charliescharts.com/index.php?...&products_id=2
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:42   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I would reccomend picking up a mooring bouy in Two Harbors. Not that expensive and you will be secure in evening breezes and not have to put up with as much roll with a bow and stern line. Done it many times but only anchored once... that was enough for me! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:44   #6

Get the book. "Anchoring at Catalina" by Marc Houghston. Published by Santana Sailing, Inc. Author teaches at Orange Coast College School of Sailing and Seamanship. Pricy.....and worth every penny. Detailed. Sort of waterproof paper so you can take it in the cockpit with you.

I see it is also available electronically, but I think I prefer the printed......all good.

Anchoring at Catalina, the Laptop or iphone guide - Los Angeles Boating | Examiner.com
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 21:50   #7
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

You may find the Active Captain website useful for sourcing cruiser reviews of the anchoring conditions in Two Harbors. I use it as a starting point for planning cruises.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:55   #8

Thank you all for the input I am taking my niece over for a few weeks maybe longer and this will be her first sailing trip, so I would like it to be a pleasant one. I was thinking of just making our way around the island and check it all out and wanted some veteran input. Is a porta potty still the required waste management or has that changed ?
LostCoastGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:38   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Sounds like you would be better off picking up a mooring rather than anchoring. Check out the official information at the Two Harbors site http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/t...rs/Boating.php
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote