Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2006, 17:58   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Anchor Winch Recommendations

I am currentl building a 50 ft cat with about 8500kg displacement and have had it suggested that Quick may have an Anchor winch that may be suitable.

Having never had an anchor winch [did have an anchor wench, she never broke down] and the fact that Quick is fairly new to the Australian market, I was wondering if any one had comments regarding reliability and service.

I know we have Muir and Maxwell in Aus but maybe these are a better thing. I have been told they are less expensive, but haven't priced one yet.

Comments please

Dave
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 18:25   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Power and retrieval rate

At least I can attest to the power and retrieval rate of the Muir (the bigger the better). These two attributes are the most important, especially when having to get the gear up so that you can get out of "there" when the waves have begun to bounce you around and you can't waste time waiting around as you bash up and down possibly with the anchor close to the hull banging into it because it is dangling there too long! By the way, did I mention power and retrieval rate?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 22:33   #3

Boat: Valiant 40 - Grebe
anchor winch recommendations

I agree with Rick about getting the biggest one you can afford and that will fit in the space available. I also prefer horizontal because it can be used to power someone up the mast or raise the dinghy onto the foredeck. I've had Lofrans on my last two boats (Morgan 38 and now a Valiant 32) and have been happy with them. Standard winch for new Valiant 42s is the Lighthouse which owners seem to like.
I consider an anchor winch a vital piece of safety equipment because I'm more likely to re-anchor if I'm dragging or if I've dropped my hook too close to someone else's. And, I'm 64, so the back isn't what it used to be!
Gruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 00:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might be interested in some of our previous discussions:
ie:

Manual, vertical-axis anchor windlass: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1200

Seeking Advice on Common Configurations
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3883

Heavy weather anchoring
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=533

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:57   #5

Boat: 36 gulfstar
I purchased a Lewmar 1000 horizontal winch a couple of months ago. I was originally thinking of using the Quick brand untill I read a report on windlasses in 'Practical Sailor'. The report was not too Kind on Quick. I found the Lewmar on Ebay and it was just a few dollars more than the Quick. I am satisfied with the performance.

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 18:40   #6

Why can't you use a vertical windlass to hoist someone aloft or lift a dink? I do it all the time with a Maxwell VWC. It has a chain and a rope gypsy. When you are anchored... lift the chain off the gypsy (it is held by the snubber on a cleat) abd use the rope gypsy like an electric winch!

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 19:34   #7

Boat: Valiant 40 - Grebe
horizontal vs vertical windlass

Jef: If the rope capstan is vertical, the lead from the halyard (assuming you're using a spare halyard to lift someone up the mast or the dink) won't be fair. Or, am I missing something? Of course, you could make it fair with a snatch block off a toe rail or other attachment point, and that adds a bit more friction to the setup. OTOH, the vertical is more handy to kedge off if you go aground. So, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Gruntled
Gruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 19:50   #8

Right you are.. I use a turning block for my Halyard which is normally led back to the cockpit. If I use a spare halyard (spinnaker eg) I use a snatch block at the base of the mast. More friction... yea.. a bit. But no biggie for my windlass. I don't think vertical preclues using it for lifting.

Jef
Old 04-11-2006, 13:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Muir do a nice winch especially in the bigger sizes. Their rope to chain technology is still a wee way behind most of the others and I'd tend to look elsewhere if thinking that way. On all chain they are fine.

Maxwell are the grunty beasts on the block and the only manufacturer to consitantly exceed their published numbers, the only manufacturer that does exceed published numbers actually. In each class Maxwell will out pull all others most of the time. Good name for reliablity. Cleaned up, by quite a margin in the PBR tests a year or so ago, both vertical and horizontals. NB. the word 'tests' again but in this case we thought they were very well done and would have simulated real life quite closely.

Lofrans, the worlds biggest manufacturer and do good gear. Good name for reliablity.

Lewmar, Class name but they do have watertightness issues that just seem to not go away. Generally a bit lighter made and lower powered than the equivalents.

Quick, basically started using Lofran excess components but now are becoming a bigger player in their own right. Nice gear at a good price but having a few small teathing issues still.

South Pacific, cheap but light weight. Good if using at the bottom end of the suggested size range.

Anchorlift, newish to the general market but looking like they are on the case. Performance over time is still a work in progress.

One point for Cat man Do, Quick is through BLA in Aussie and they have a shocker of a reputation once you have handed over the money. Customer service does appear to be an issue they have or in this case don't have.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 14:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
And Arco

Any comments on Arco windlasses?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 14:37   #11

One thing I noticed a few months back on a friend's boat of similiar size and displacement, but with a Lewmar windlass... it was so damn slow compared to my Maxwell. And I mean S L O W. It took for ever to both lay out and retrieve the chain. I didn't care for that, not because I am in a hurry... but if you want to drop an anchor in deep water you could blow away by the time the anchor hits the bottom with the Lewmar... and gawd forbit you need to get the thing up fast because ... say the anchor didnt set and you were dragging theough a field of anchored boats... You could do a lotta damage by the time you get the anchor up.

Something to consider... Speed!

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Old 04-11-2006, 16:12   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Thanks guys, Lewmar has never been an option, Always found the quality on all things a bit dodgy, like a lot of pommy stuff.

Interesting about Gmacs BLA comment, I know a lot of the guys there from the Glasscraft marine days, but maybe company policy different.

I am starting to think maxwell, but also want to check out orca. and arco

Keep it coming

Dave
Old 05-11-2006, 07:03   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Just as a matter of nautical interest, do you consider the terms "winch" and "windlass" to be interchangeable?

My understanding was winches are used on sheets and halliards and windlasses on anchor gear? Be interested to know if there are any views on it. (this is not to say that I have not, on occasions asked inexperienced crew members to "pull or let off, that bit of string" when requiring sheets or mooring lines to be adjusted!)

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Windlass is a specific type of Winch?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 22:54   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Any comments on Arco windlasses?
Only ever seen one of them. Not common down here.

Quote:
Interesting about Gmacs BLA comment, I know a lot of the guys there from the Glasscraft marine days, but maybe company policy different.
They seem to have damn near a monoply in suppy in Aussie so servive does not need to be that flash. I suspect the change in management has not been a good thing for them. Bob himselfs not calling the shots anymore I'm told, the son now is. Not knocking BLA as they are great for my sales in Aussie, they cock it up and we fix it, all good stuff.

BLA tried Quick in NZ but cocked everyone up and blamed the owners each time. Didn't take the effort to find out which ropes worked and which don't. So easy to do and so silly not too.

Quote:
A Windlass is a specific type of Winch
You got any info you could expand on this Gord?, you wonderful mine of info I've always wondered but never got around to looking into it more.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor