Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 20:03   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Anchor Weight

I've been reading a lot about holding power and anchor types.
Could you guys tell me the weight of your anchor and size of your boat?

The anchor on my boat is a fluke.
I am not 100% sure but I believe it's 25lbs.
My boat is 29 feet.
I'm also not yet sure of how many feet the chain or rope currently on.
I plan to measure next time I go to the boat, but just trying to gauge is what I have is sufficient.
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:17   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
(...oh no, not another anchor thread!)

Heavy is good. I like to take the manufacturer's recommended size and then use the next size up.

My primary is a 20kg Bruce on 3/8" chain...both oversized for my boat...so I sleep well at night.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:28   #3

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol
Re: Anchor weight

I have a Danforth anchor with fifteen feet of 3/8 chain and 250 ft of 5/8 rope...(I carry another 250ft rope if needed) I was in 25 mph winds and the anchor held well... Anchoring depends not only the weight of the anchor but the type; the length and size of chain and the length and size of rope.. and especially the make up of the bottom........ sand; mud; rock; weeds; coral, etc. Many carry more than one type anchor depending on certain conditions. My Danforth was used on a sandy bottom with good holding power.
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:38   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Probably okay on the chesapeake if you have some chain like 50 feet. Technique will be important. 25 pond Danforth not set and the rhode tangled about the flukes is just like having a 25 lb brick at the end if the line. Maybe a 35 lb spade as a primary and you would be covered fir all if the bay
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Design and surface area matters more than weight. I have an aluminum Fortress which works quite well in the SF Bays mostly sand and mud bottom.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:55   #6

How about using a dual anchor setup?
Like maybe the anchor I have working in tandem with a 33lb claw style anchor.
Old 19-07-2013, 21:06   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Usually nit a good idea. Maybe both if set way apart on seperate rhodes and its going to be a nasty blow.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 21:24   #8

Boat: PT-11

Without knowing where you are and how you plan to sail, or the size of your anchor and length of chain, this thread isn't going very far. FWIW, we've got an anchor approx. 2x our length in ft and lbs and all chain rode.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 21:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Usually nit a good idea. Maybe both if set way apart on seperate rhodes and its going to be a nasty blow.
I wasn't thinking of using them simultaneously on a regular basis (storms being excepted).
Just having a second option for different conditions.
Old 19-07-2013, 21:35   #10

60lb manson supreme, 300' of chain. 36' Hans Christian.

I sleep like a baby.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 21:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A 20# HT Danforth with about 20' of 5/16" chain and 1/2" rope rode should be fine for anchoring in the Chesapeake. The mud bottoms in the Chesapeake are ideal for Danforth Pattern anchors and you can pick them up for next to nothing all over the place. Their weak point is they don't reset well in hard bottoms if the direction of pull changes significantly. Not a big issue in the Chesapeake mud but a factor in other areas with harder bottoms.

If you are going farther afield would think about one of the modern inverted plow anchors like the Manson Supreme of about 25# with more chain. The additional chain would depend on your cruising grounds. Heading south, would want all chain. Other areas and depending on how long you are going to be hanging on the hook, might go with a 100'. If weight is a concern and you want all chain, 1/4" G40 chain would be strong enough. For most instances, 30' to 50' would be adequate, just be careful of chafe on a rope rode.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 22:49   #12

what we have doesn't matter. As suggested, where you sail and what conditions you expect will be necssary for you to design your anchor SYSTEM.

Try this:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & SwivelsGround Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A 20# HT Danforth with about 20' of 5/16" chain and 1/2" rope rode should be fine for anchoring in the Chesapeake. The mud bottoms in the Chesapeake are ideal for Danforth Pattern anchors and you can pick them up for next to nothing all over the place. Their weak point is they don't reset well in hard bottoms if the direction of pull changes significantly. Not a big issue in the Chesapeake mud but a factor in other areas with harder bottoms.

If you are going farther afield would think about one of the modern inverted plow anchors like the Manson Supreme of about 25# with more chain. The additional chain would depend on your cruising grounds. Heading south, would want all chain. Other areas and depending on how long you are going to be hanging on the hook, might go with a 100'. If weight is a concern and you want all chain, 1/4" G40 chain would be strong enough. For most instances, 30' to 50' would be adequate, just be careful of chafe on a rope rode.
I am in the Chesapeake, and you've more or less described what I believe I have (though I think my anchor is a little heavier).

I think I'll plan on getting a second anchor style for differing conditions and going further afield.
I know that a 44lb Bruce/claw type is very affordable, and I believe I'd go with an all chain rode on that rig.

Thanks
Old 20-07-2013, 08:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
what we have doesn't matter. As suggested, where you sail and what conditions you expect will be necssary for you to design your anchor SYSTEM.

Try this:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & SwivelsGround Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels
Thanks for the resource!
Old 20-07-2013, 08:23   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ObliviionBoyJ,

It may be helpful to you to read up on the failure modes for Danforth style anchors, in previous threads. They do have some limitations, but are super for some uses. We used a 20 lb. HT Danforth on a 30 ft. sloop in San Francisco Bay, with not much chain on it and all rope rode, which did us for a while. We had 40 and 44 lb. anchors on our 36 foot boat; and now we have a 60 lb. Manson Supreme on our 46 foot boat, which weighs on the order of 13 tons.

I think a 44 lb. anchor, may be overkill, but you should do what makes you comfortable. But do give up on the using two anchors all the time idea, it's a hassle to handle them, and unnecessary in most conditions.

Ann

Tags
anchor